You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bad spot to shove?

edited February 2014 in The Poker Clinic
xSmall blind 10.0010.00565.00marklarBig blind 20.0030.00405.00 Your hole cards910   xCall 10.0040.00555.00marklarRaise 30.0070.00375.00xCall 30.00100.00525.00Flop  Q25   marklarBet 60.00160.00315.00xCall 60.00220.00465.00Turn  J   marklarAll-in 315.00535.000.00xCall 315.00850.00150.00xShow88   marklarShow910   River  5   xWinTwo Pairs, 8s and 5s850.00 1000.00
The opponent had raised all previous hands from the button so I thought his call preflop was with a weak hand. 

Comments

• edited February 2014
    I would say thats fine. Its your best way to win the pot and your never drawing dead. Its a pretty light call to be fair. You dont have the stack to check raise all in so shoving is your best bet. 
  • edited February 2014

Hey mate,

He's limped in a hyper, pre flop you should either check or raise bigger. You don't have much movement with your stack, he's defo calling a min raise. I would just see a flop with my 9 10 here.

If you think he's weak, you can always shove. But i don't like shoving here.

Def just see the flop for free.

Post flop, you have had a stab on the flop, after this i wouldn't be putting another chip in the pot. You still have enough to shove, DU and go onto win it.

Calling your flop bet, most times he's calling your turn bet here.

• edited February 2014
    I agree with Larson about the preflop play. Given your stack size you should just take the flop for free. If you are going to raise then raise bigger, as that min-r stuff is utterly pointless other than to build a bigger pot, as it will always get called.

Flop is likely to be called given bet size and he has postion. The shove is one of those moments that can go either way. You have enough weight that he may well fold and outs if he does call. So i don't have too much of an issue with the shove here. I generally prefer aggresive poker to passive poker and you gave yourself two chances to win the pot. Sure you can check and see river, but would be check/folding if river don't improve you and he bets out. So i don't mind this play, though some might given he might call light here given you can't bust him, and which is what he actually does do.

EDIT: Thought about this a bit more, and changed my mind a bit. While a shove might be ok, it does look al ittle bluffy as well. Go from 60 chips on flop to shove on the turn. Not so sure you do this with either of the two face carrds. Difficult really, as a strong bet looks less bluffy, but at the same time a strong bet pretty much pot commits you anyway.

Honestly I think he limped the 88 and was going all teh way regardless of what came out. He limped to get a shove or raise and so having decided to call a shove with it he likely decided he was calling to river. That or he is a station.
  • edited February 2014
    to echo the above, much prefer the check back. stacks are so awkward to triple barrel once we even min raise.

i've no idea why villain is limping 88, esp after being aggro  previously. that alone would make me want to check back. we dont know if he's inducing with a monster, not willing to fold junk or just polarising his minr range by limping middling stuff.  it turns out he's doing non of those things, but ho hum.

we are crushed by monsters, flippiing against junk and his middling stuff sometimes dominates or is ahead of us. and we are oop.

as played we are trying to fold out A and K high or random underpairs, 5x and 2x / 43.

but the jam looks full of it, do we ever jam a jack or a Q like that? its generally a good thing to barrel when you pick up equity, but a check or a standard sized / even a 40% pot bet/call off would be best.

i dont think his folding range is so price-sensitive that a jam is needed. if we think he's check raising most queens on the flop then we do have fold equity v his flop continuing range.

if we bet t80 it should gain the same folds as a jam as the range we are attacking is very weak.

if called we have 235 left and the pot will be 380. i think we still have fold equity on the river against: Ax Kx, 5x, 2x and underpairs.

if he jams over our turn bet we can call off.

if he flats then we can jam any A, K, 8, maybe 9, T too, or x/c them.

we can give up on all other run outs and still have 11bbs

----

or we could check to get to cheap showdown.

----

i like jamming least.
  • edited February 2014
    Really appreciate your input guys, thanks! I agree with TeddyBloat, and thought this at the time that the shove looks just too drawy, and that a Q or J or even QJ would be unlikely to play this way. I think I was just somewhat confused at the villains preflop play (agree that checking back or raising more are better options), and though that he was more likely being stubborn with a 2 or 5 (maybe weak Ax + random floats) than calling flop with a Q, and thought that there was a good chance these hands would fold out against an unperceptive opponent.
  • edited February 2014
    having a read,  i think you where fine to shove, u had a few outs too hit your straight if your opo had the Q or J,
    looking at it i think he should miby of folded not u, but unless he had a good read on u, id say u where unlucky to be called there and not take the pot with the shove.