You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

I got lucky, but what should I do after flop raise?

edited February 2014 in The Poker Clinic
gamaSmall blind £0.10£0.10£19.80CJ227Big blind £0.20£0.30£20.30 Your hole cardsQA   DonttelmumFold    spik1966Fold    supercrazyRaise £0.60£0.90£19.40mrdaviesRaise £1.80£2.70£23.69gamaFold    CJ227Fold    supercrazyCall £1.20£3.90£18.20Flop  8A4   supercrazyCheck    mrdaviesBet £2.00£5.90£21.69supercrazyRaise £7.93£13.83£10.27mrdaviesAll-in £21.69£35.52£0.00supercrazyAll-in £10.27£45.79£0.00mrdaviesUnmatched bet £5.49£40.30£5.49supercrazyShowKA   mrdaviesShowQA   Turn  Q   River  5   mrdaviesWinTwo Pairs, Aces and Queens£38.50 £43.99

NO history, had not long joined the table, didn't give him AK as he raised from cut off.. so was more than happy until re raise where I felt he had either flopped set or had AK.

without being results orientated on this hand - do you think this is a fold?

Comments

• edited February 2014
    This is where notes would have helped you (had you not got lucky) as when he check raises on a dry flop you are always behind. He is a very good, solid aggressive player. I dont really like the raise, much prefer the call in position. Against this player he will pretty much fold most of the hands your beating and only call with the ones that have you beat pre.

With one pair you want to control the size of the pot and try and keep in as many weaker hands as possible. 
  • edited February 2014
    I'm not a huge fan of commiting my whole stack on TP in cash games and even more if I don't have TK to go with it. So given that you get called on your 3bet preflop he has something. When he C/R on that board you are virtually never ahead. Either AK or a set is most likely. Sue if it is a fish they maybe weaker ace, but in most cases against a solid player you are up a creek with no paddle. And so I think a shove wasn't the best idea. You got lucky I guess.

I'll say this. AQ is one of my most costly hands. Nearly tot he point of not playing it anymore. It is a hand that will often win you a little or lose you a lot. (EDIT: just checked and AQos is my worst hand for loss over Jan/Feb this year. Hate the hand. lol)
  • edited February 2014
    Pre Flop - Readless I prefer flatting pre. It allows you to keep in all of the villain's range you dominate (AJ, A10, KQ etc.)

IP, try 3 betting a mixture of hands that aren't good enough to flat, but have decent equity when called (A10o K9s J8s) and obv value hands JJ+ AKo. We can easily fold to a 4bet with our marginal hands and GII with our value hands.

When we have more info on the villain we may wanna start 3betting AQ for value etc.

Post Flop - Tbh it's a bit of a cooler. Villain is not gonna have AK very often here considering he flatted your btn 3bet.

Re-raising the flop is definitely a mistake. Villain is forced to fold all his bluffs and call with all the hands that crush you.

Call flop then obv call the shove on the turn now we have hit the Q and gone ahead off all villain's 2prs is a much better line.
  • edited February 2014
    This is SO bad, jesus.

Vs this villain its such an easy fold.

Put him on AJ? LOL
  • edited February 2014
    sitting here reading i would say fold and dont comit your stack if your uncertain.. u do have top pair but thats all.

if i was in the seat playing miby i would have done the same, 

but not having a read on the player and not got any notes on him i would be folding until i felt i had a better read on the player.
  • edited February 2014
    yea had no reads whatsoever, and as he was short thought any ace he wouldda shoved with.

ty for comments