You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

omaha strategy

edited February 2014 in Poker Chat
just played a omaha heads up sit and go there which i regged for by mistake, wasnt best pleased with my error as it was for 40 sheets and its safe to say i was pretty poor i think, luckily though my opponent didnt know how to play either so i ended up winning, my post flop game was fine just was unsure on what starting hands were good really so was just basically playing most hands and taking it from there, if anybody would be kind enough to tell me what good starting hands are and also what sort of hands should go straight in the bin to somebodys open i would be very grateful, i dont plan on playing regular just incase though for the future, cheers!!!

Comments

• edited February 2014
    You want running cards like 89TJetc, your obvious AAxx, your 89KQ double suited etc.  Bin lots of junk where they don't connect ie 27k4, hands which have 3 cards of same suit etc.
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: omaha strategy:
    You want running cards like 89TJetc, your obvious AAxx, your 89KQ double suited etc.  Bin lots of junk where they don't connect ie 27k4, hands which have 3 cards of same suit etc.
    Posted by DoubleAAA
    cheers bud
  • edited February 2014

Simple answer for you.

You have 6 starting hands within your 4 cards in omaha. You want as many of these to be nut drawing as possible. You dont have to have all 6 but in an ideal world you want at least 3.

Secondly dont overrate pairs or AK in your hand. If they miss which they will do a lot of the time they become worthless no matter how good they look.

Thirdly avoid the third card. Thatis hands with a third card of the same suit or 3 of a kind. They weaken your hand considerably as they kill off some of your chances of hitting and therefore improving.
  • edited February 2014
    I'm no omaha expert, but I dabble, and have read up a bit on it...

there are 2 features of good hands that you should be thinking about

1. how often it hits the board
    2. how well it hits the board

An example of a hand that hits the board well, but not often might be AK99ddxx. decent chance of flopping the nuts.
    An example of a hand that his the board often might be 789Tddcc. You will hit the board often, but you will rarely hit the nuts.

Depending on the number of opponents (more opponents need a more nutty hand, and vs less opponents a hand that hits often is good)

obviously the more connected your cards are, the better. 

HU is similar to NLH HU... you are going to be playing a far wider range of hands than in any other format... so you probably played better than you thought opening most buttons and trying to hand read postflop.

at low stakes, if someone 3bets you preflop, chances are they have AAxx. 
  • edited February 2014
    Consume 6 stellas + punt
  • edited February 2014

Talon wisely mentions the 6 starting hands within our 4 hole cards, this is so important in our starting hand criteria. One bad card - it is called "the dangler" - can destroy the value of our hand.

Let's say we have.....

J-J-10-9, double suited.

Unless there has been serious action in front of us, in Hold Em we could make a case for opening with 4 of those 6 hands, namely.....

J-J

J-10

J-10

10-9

You may even consider opening with the other two (remember, we are double suited)....

J-9

J-9

So there we have at least 4 starting hands, 6 at a push.

Now change ONE card.

J-J-9-3

How many "reasonable" 2 card starting hands do we have now? 3, at the very most?

I think starting hand criteria is THE most important element in PLO, & PLO8. Get that part right, & the rest is easy.

• edited February 2014

A quick Omaha story, this happened to me last week.

I was dealt this......

K-K-K-A

My opponent was dealt.....

A-A-A-K.

In truth, my hand is not much good, as it can barely improve even if Matey Boy did not have me beat all ends up already. Effectively, I had K-K & A-K, as I was 4 suited. 2 hands are no good at all. 

I DID raise, as the pot was unopened, & I was in the SB, but Matey Boy was in the Big with that A-A-A-K hand. HIS hand was not much good either, but, as played, I was correct to raise-fold, & he was correct to re-raise.

Gotta love Omaha, we get some right banzai hands.

Come on in, the water is lovely & warm......