You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Other Games Tournaments

edited February 2014 in Poker Chat
I get bored of just playing NLH all the time, so I like to dabble in other games. Hopefully I'll be good enough at some of the other games to be profitable in them at some point. 

Anyway, It got me thinking about a concept Sky could use. Whether it would work or not, I have no idea. I suspect volume might be a bit low... but here it is  anyway.

Either everyday, or once a week, or whatever, there is an "other Game" main and/or mini events.
so for example you could have

Monday: PLO
Tuesday: Badugi
Wednesday: PLO8
Thursday: 2-7 triple draw
Friday: Stud
Sat: Horse
Sun: 8 Game

They could even dedicate a half hour section of the show before the start to explain rules and basic strategy.

would you be interested in playing events like this?

Comments

• edited February 2014
    A horse event would be a laugh, esp if you got the teams / forum competition on board.

I have no clue about other variants other than plo plo8 and nl, but would defo have a punt.
  • edited February 2014
    I'd probaly play them all except Badugi, if the stakes were low enough, but there's little chance Sky expanding their software to include other games, the player base just isn't big enough.
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Other Games Tournaments:
    I'd probaly play them all except Badugi, if the stakes were low enough, but there's little chance Sky expanding their software to include other games, the player base just isn't big enough.
    Posted by FCHD
    Hmm, good point about the SW

they say that changes are alot easier in the new client... maybe it wont be that much work

What you got against Badugi?
  • edited February 2014
    Only know how to play PLO variants but I'm sure it won't be too much effort to learn other games! (just no point atm seeing as sky doesn't have anything else)
  • edited February 2014
    i don,t think it would work there is just not enough players on sky for it too be viable long term

plo8 has a £100gtd it always makes its gtd but never much more and thats with all tikay has done trying too build it up

think sky could do more too try and help him though! maybe the next time they give away free poker tokens make them for plo/or plo8 that way more people will try it

• edited February 2014
    speaking from experience, it can be really fun just diving in a and playing a tournament for a game you have never played before. Normally everyone is in the same boat and the standard is awful ...which is part of the attraction.

imagine never having played a game before, reading the rules and you are already being competative.

• edited February 2014
    i don,t think it would work there is just not enough players on sky for it too be viable long term  plo8 has a £100gtd it always makes its gtd but never much more and thats with all tikay has done trying too build it up think sky could do more too try and help him though! maybe the next time they give away free poker tokens make them for plo/or plo8 that way more people will try it
    Posted by churchy18
    you are probably right.

I could see something like a weekly "dealers Choice" tourney with a £5/£10 buy in, and a segment of the show advertising it/ explaining the rules of this weeks game catching on..
  • edited February 2014
    I'd certainly be interested. The first forms of poker I ever played were five card draw and seven card stud, but it's been a long time since I've dusted off those... 'skills'.
  • edited February 2014
    Love Badugi and have enough basic knowledge to play the others and think a  change is as good as a rest if you get tired of hammering NLH everyday.
  • edited February 2014
    What you got against Badugi?
    Posted by chicknMelt
    I just find it a dull game, not really poker in my eyes.
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Other Games Tournaments : I just find it a dull game, not really poker in my eyes.
    Posted by FCHD
    your not playing it properly then :)

when played in an ABC way, yes, it can be pretty boring....

once you start to introduce bluffing, it adds a whole new level to the game.

how do you bluff in Badugi? Simple...just draw 0 (or less cards than your opponent) cards then bet :)