You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

implied odds???

edited March 2014 in Poker Chat
now this is something ive heard a few times and my impression a very basic one,

implied odds are when u are betting when u think u are behind but building that if your hand hits you will win a bigger pot?    if you have say, 2 overs with a FD and SD. and you put you oponant on miby a set or 2 pair.

quite a basic description on my part too what i see some of the players type on the forum, im not too big on the stats of it all,

am i nearly right :) could someone clear this up?

cheers.

Comments

• edited March 2014
    implied odds basically means the probability including likely future bets on the hand not just the current round of bets.

ie set mining who hope to get him to Bet his whole stack with his aa when you have hit a set of twos

• edited March 2014

Pretty much, Chris.

Implied odds are when you are drawing to a hand, & represent the odds you will get if you hit. 

It's just an extension of pot odds, but pot odds can easly be calculated, or assessed, they are "x", whereas we cannot easily calculate implied odds. 

They are FAR more important in PLO, & PLO8, both of which are drawing games, whereas NLH is a "made hand" game really.

In NLH, we try to start with a "made hand". In PLO & PLO8, there is no such thing really, as we'd rarely play a hand hoping one pair (the best we can have pre-flop) would be good. Aces are an exception in PLO (but NOT PLO8) of course, but even then, we must try & get Heads Up, & Aces in Omaha are only a small favourite against most hands, unless someone gets stubborn with, say, K-K or Q-Q. Even then, if they have "good" Kings or Aces v our "bad" (naked) Aces, we are not much of a favourite.

• edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: implied odds???:
    implied odds basically means the probability including likely future bets on the hand not just the current round of bets. ie set mining who hope to get him to Bet his whole stack with his aa when you have hit a set of twos
    Posted by GELDY

Ha!

Fewer words, but a better explanation.
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: implied odds???:
    In Response to Re: implied odds??? : Ha! Fewer words, but a better explanation.
    Posted by Tikay10
    too kind tk but not sure you're right
    more concise maybe but your responses always have so much extra value