You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

multi table or move up a level

edited December 2009 in Poker Chat
I'm hopefully going to increase my bankroll enough soon that I could step up to the 4p/8p cash tables.
Just wondering if I'd be better off staying at 2p/4p and playing two or three tables  or stepping up a level?
Any thoughts on this appreciated.
regards,
Mohican

Comments

• edited December 2009
      This is a classic it depends question. Multitabling is a good way to decrease variance as you can play many at the same level but multitabling is an entirely different skill set. Althoug only playing one table increases your variance and lowers your potential ROI it allows you to get better reads on your opponenets and make it easier to find good situations to make moves against weaker players.

The skill level difference between 2/4 and 4/8 will be minimal at best. The important thing though is to play within your bankroll limitations and not consider the move until your bankroll says you can because there is nothing worse than playing with scared money. In my opinion playing at these stakes is not about making money because you just can not make enough, so it is more for the love of the game or trying to learn new things to incorporate into your game.

The best advice is to do the one that gives you most enjoyment and hopefully makes some money. Good luck at the tables and have fun
  • edited December 2009
    personally i would move up a level if my br could afford it...

i do not like multi tabeling as i cannot concentrate enough on each player..

each to their own tho... mate of mine somtimes play up to 8 tables at any 1 time.. not for me tho
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to multi table or move up a level:
    I'm hopefully going to increase my bankroll enough soon that I could step up to the 4p/8p cash tables. Just wondering if I'd be better off staying at 2p/4p and playing two or three tables  or stepping up a level? Any thoughts on this appreciated. regards, Mohican
    Posted by Mohican

Your bankroll should be 50 buyins to the stakes you play at,it can vary depending on your skill.

E.g. If the full buyin for 2p/4p is 4 pound 200 pound should be your full bankroll,you have to play within your bankroll so thats anything over 200 untill you reach the target for the next stakes but if you double your roll to 400 then you should move up to 4p/8p.
    Double your bankroll double ur stakes.

The hardest part for a poker player is to move down stakes if you go below 200 for e.g you should drop down.

As for multitabling i play 8-12 but am a sit and go player the concept of multitabling is this.
    The more tables you play the less you can get time to get the proper reads on opponents so your game suffers slightly,but you make up for it in say the hourly rate of money you earn.Your ROI% goes down but hourly rate of earnings go up.

So playing more tables doesnt mean you should move up its just choice to be on a better hourly rate if you can handle more than one table.

So in short ur bankroll determines your stakes you play at.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: multi table or move up a level:
    As for multitabling i play 8-12 but am a sit and go player the concept of multitabling is this.
    Posted by jimifloyd
    Jeez! I don't know how players do that, I can't do more than one lol. 33% extra respect to you! Obviously I know you MT but I didn't realise that many! lol

• edited December 2009
    Id step up, the standard of play wont be a million miles away from what your used to, so if your crushing these games, you'll no doubt carry on being successful.

If your experienced at multi tabling and it doesnt go too well after you take the step up, then you can always drop back down the levels and grind it out there.

At least you'll find out if your game is good enough to make the step up, but i agree with jimi, u will want at least 50 buy ins before you do.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: multi table or move up a level : Jeez! I don't know how players do that, I can't do more than one lol. 33% extra respect to you! Obviously I know you MT but I didn't realise that many! lol
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    Thanks bonk big up,and if you want a story go to the pokerstars site and read up on skilled sox.

He is second on sharkscope for the highest earner in sit and gos this year 300,000 +.
    Like dan says if ur crushing the games it may be worth a more aggressive bankroll strategy,i think the story for skilledsox goes like this he deposited 250 dollars into pokerstars and played 20 dollar heads up sit and goes, like 10 buyins or less with rake lol.He made over a hundred thousand in his first year.Now hes made millions and all that while he was at college.Big risk big gain lol.
  • edited December 2009
    Lol! Skilled sox is definately skilled!!!

I once knocked him and hoss_tbf out of the same mtt once!

didnt cash mind, but its a claim to fame!
  • edited December 2009
    Lol! Skilled sox is definately skilled!!! I once knocked him and hoss_tbf out of the same mtt once! didnt cash mind, but its a claim to fame!
    Posted by dantb10
    Well done m8 and congratulations on been selected for total player good luck with it.
    Anyone who cashes in vegas has got my respect but do me a favour keep away from my place on sharkscope
    notice ur creeping up there,juss messing lol.
  • edited December 2009
    Haha,

Cheers mate! Ill be trying my upmost to stay in the total player, i wouldnt be suprised if you join me with your record!

Ive been trying to climb the sharkscope ladder since july!!! i bet im not even close to you!
  • ybyb
    edited December 2009
    In Response to multi table or move up a level : Your bankroll should be 50 buyins to the stakes you play at,it can vary depending on your skill. E.g. If the full buyin for 2p/4p is 4 pound 200 pound should be your full bankroll,you have to play within your bankroll so thats anything over 200 untill you reach the target for the next stakes but if you double your roll to 400 then you should move up to 4p/8p. Double your bankroll double ur stakes. The hardest part for a poker player is to move down stakes if you go below 200 for e.g you should drop down. As for multitabling i play 8-12 but am a sit and go player the concept of multitabling is this. The more tables you play the less you can get time to get the proper reads on opponents so your game suffers slightly,but you make up for it in say the hourly rate of money you earn.Your ROI% goes down but hourly rate of earnings go up. So playing more tables doesnt mean you should move up its just choice to be on a better hourly rate if you can handle more than one table. So in short ur bankroll determines your stakes you play at.
    Posted by jimifloyd
    I don't know how you play this many tables mate. Very impressive. I've done 6 a few times but then I keep on getting timed out, one time I folded a flopped full house lol. But I've played with you a few times on the DYM's and you're one of the best sit and go players on here even with the multi-tabling so kudos for that!
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: multi table or move up a level : I don't know how you play this many tables mate. Very impressive. I've done 6 a few times but then I keep on getting timed out, one time I folded a flopped full house lol. But I've played with you a few times on the DYM's and you're one of the best sit and go players on here even with the multi-tabling so kudos for that!
    Posted by yb
    Thanks alot pal much appreciated.Shouldn't give that info out really, now u'll be stealing my blinds lol.
    The more you play the more sky pay lol.Its in my best interests and everyone else who plays sit and gos for multitablers, you cant get games quick enought.The more you multi the easier it gets.

Im sure people like nutter would make twice as much money as he is if he could get a game whenever he wanted.The higher the stakes the harder it is to get a game.

Good Luck at the tables.