You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

River decision

edited March 2014 in The Poker Clinic
Player is a good MTT reg, never seen them playing cash before.

I think this is probably a fold on the river, they would check if they had show down value. Tough the board run out has been pretty good. Call or fold on the river?

FeltSithSmall blind £0.10£0.10£19.15craigieboyBig blind £0.20£0.30£57.24 Your hole cardsQK   LARSON7Raise £0.60£0.90£19.40xCall £0.60£1.50£19.40Ross1810Call £0.60£2.10£41.22mattyorks4Fold    FeltSithFold    craigieboyFold    Flop  3Q4   LARSON7Bet £1.58£3.68£17.82xCall £1.58£5.26£17.82Ross1810Fold    Turn  4   LARSON7Bet £2.63£7.89£15.19xCall £2.63£10.52£15.19River  9   LARSON7Check    xBet £5.26£15.78£9.93LARSON7?

Comments

• edited March 2014
    One of the harder ones. Hands that we can put him on are pretty limited. Or at least hands we can see him having to be ahead. Possible hands of AQ, fullhouse with pocket 3's. I guess it is possible he has a hand like QJ, but i dunno what type of hand he would calling station with.

With paired board and backdoor flush maybe he sees it as a chance to bluff given your check after 2 streets of betting, but if it is a bluff he has put out a bet that is very value-town. Normally I C/Cl a marginal hand and I can't range villian on very much, but I'll fold some too if I find it really tough. My gut would be screaming he has the FH with 3's though to be honest and I'd have to fight myself not to call. lol
  • edited March 2014
    I agree, very tough.

I actually lean towards a fold. Probably too nitty but I'm struggling to see what we can beat barring a bluff and QJ. The problem is I think QJ is checking behind and a bluff is hard to have here as well as only A5 (gutshot) and 56 have missed which I cant see him having a lot. Not only that but the bet looks like it wants to be called.

I think AQ reraises turn more often than not so a back door flush or FH is looking the favourite.
  • edited March 2014
    I called, just because i didn't see what he could have, didn't expect a FH / back door flush.

In the off chance it was a bluff/ worse hand than mine (!), i didn't really understand what he could have here.

It does look really valuey.

Should have just folded, was surprised at what i seen, Q9 (os)!!
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: River decision:
    I called, just because i didn't see what he could have, didn't expect a FH / back door flush. In the off chance it was a bluff/ worse hand than mine (!), i didn't really understand what he could have here. It does look really valuey. Should have just folded, was surprised at what i seen, Q9 (os)!!
    Posted by LARSON7

Only reason I didn't include Q9 in my possible hand range was because I took your view on him being a good MTT player as my baseline. Sorry, but not sure how he is good if he is calling UTG raise in UITG+1 with Q9os. Hey, maybe he was drunk or something, but otherwise not sure your notes on him are right.
  • edited March 2014
    He is betting any queen on that river and possibly value betting TT/99 kind of hands, your only beat by AQ here IMO and I think you would of found out earlier on if he/she had AQ
  • edited March 2014
    Hey Kam, they are in the top 50 MTT players for profit on sky this year, and consistantly do well in MTT's, thats why like you i was really surprised to see Q9 here!

never seen them playing at a cash table before, maybe they were just there for a bit of fun i suppose.

It was really ackward, i agree Kalie, thought i would have known about they had a FH, set, AQ before the river.

It was also hard seeing them having a back door flush here unless it was something like 5s6s.

I was at a total loss on the river.

I don't know if i am better betting river, or check calling. I suppose i thought at the time it's hard for him to call a bet, so was best to check and let him try and bluff at it.
  • edited March 2014
    1) Being a good MTT player definitely doesn't mean you're gonna be a good cash player by any stretch of the imagination.

2) He can have more better hands than just AQ. It's unlikely he'd flat QQ pre but possible. He's definitely flatting 33/44/QQ on this flop cos it's so dry. If he does, then the turn gives him the effective nuts, he's never gonna get outdrawn and he'd probably flat again to let you bet the river and then he can raise, and he's never gonna miss a street of value cos he's IP. It's also perfectly believable he's flatted 99 and called 2 streets with it then hit the gin card. Back door flush is very unlikely agreed.

I'd definitely prefer bet/fold rather than check/call. It goes bet/fold >>> check/fold >>> check/call for me.

If you think about the hands he can have on the river... he's definitely checking back TT/JJ imo and probably QJ/QT, he can't get much/any value with them and most players are NEVER gonna turn JJ/TT into a bluff here when they'll be good a lot. There's practically no missed straight draws and zero missed FDs. Unless he has double floated to bluff the river (which is super rare) he's probably gonna bluff close to never whereas if you bet/fold he can be a non believer and call with QJ/QT/JJ/TT and if he raises we know we're beat.
  • edited March 2014
    I was going too come in here with some expert advice.

but lambert got there...... exactly what I was thinking lambert well put...:)

really I was just going to say it was quads,   44 bet it was.....  and then I read more and was wrong on that aswell.