You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

2 pair out of position facing big bet

edited March 2014 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceCLIOKIDSmall blind £0.25£0.25£62.76tOxIcJoJoBig blind £0.50£0.75£84.86luciana11Big blind £0.50£1.25£29.80 Your hole cardsQA   Markb1o1Call £0.50£1.75£34.34lelliottFold    luciana11Check    beckham1Fold    CLIOKIDRaise £2.25£4.00£60.51tOxIcJoJoCall £2.00£6.00£82.86Markb1o1Call £2.00£8.00£32.34luciana11Fold    Flop  Q98   CLIOKIDBet £4.00£12.00£56.51tOxIcJoJoRaise £8.00£20.00£74.86Markb1o1Fold    CLIOKIDCall £4.00£24.00£52.51Turn  A   CLIOKIDCheck    tOxIcJoJoBet £24.00£48.00£50.86

Comments

• edited March 2014
    Not long at the table, 10 mins max.

Have raised 4-5 hands, all of which have been called by the villain.

He's not shown huge aggression so far and I've not seen a showdown to see what he's all about.

What do you do here?
  • edited March 2014
    Theres lots u could miby put him on I suppose.

Q9Clubs miby hit two pair A9 A8 miby even same hand AQ or j10. Possible set aswell and hes counting on u having  a high A. With the big bet.
    What was the end result???

• edited March 2014
    Very tircky spot. Firstly, and its propable nit picking, but I would add 1 more BB to your pre raise as you will be playing this hand OOP.

Flop bet is OK, I probably would have made it £5 but again, nit picking. The min raise is a bit scary but I think a set would raise more as well as 98. We cant fold though.

Checking is fine on turn but the pot bet is again concerning. I dont think we can fold though as we have gone ahead of a few 2pr combo's. We are still ahead of KQ/KJ too as well as say a bluff with 76.

The only hands that have us are sets and the straight but we do have outs. I think I call and re-evaluate the river. 
  • edited March 2014
    I don't like craig's idea to call turn and evaluate there. I think if we sticking half our stack out there we are not doing it to look for a fullhouse or fold on the river? For my money he has the straight here. Certainly not a call/shove I'd want to make blind. I'd hate folding T2P but with a worrying min-r on the flop and then a pot sized bet on the turn I have to think he has a strong hand, or is semi-bluffing a missed draw.

Sure I'll kick myself if he turns out to be real loose and is playing long-term as many hands as he ahs at the start of  your time at table, but I would be concerned given the dubious min-r followed by a full pot bet when he thinks you have something that might call it. Not sure why he goes so big though, as smaller still gives him a shove on river and more chance of a call.

I'm going to say fold, but a puke fold as i loath folding T2P. Mostly i base this on countless occasions I've lost big hands when playing blind of information in first few hands at a table.
  • edited March 2014
    I'm always a bit suspicious when people go from min aggression to max aggression for no obvious reason.

A tough decision, but for me its a shove. It looks like his strategy changed, if your strategy changes, it's usually because your hand has changed. The min raise is a relaxed bet, not so in your face, like he's willing to play all 3 streets. The turn bet is the opposite.

The hands that have changed on the turn are Q9/Q8/89/KQ. These hands would require a change of strategy, because the A is a scare card. A flopped set or straight is unchanged by the A though, so why the big bet all of a sudden? I would expect a bet of around £18-21 from sets and straights. Has almost the same effect as committing your stack, but looks more call-inducing.
  • edited March 2014
    Thanks for the replies so far.

I actually folded the hand, and I really wasn't sure if I made the right decision - and still don't.

I've only started playing properly the last month or 2 after a 2-3 year break and I've definitely been leaking too much on calls where I really didn't feel I was ahead but still calling anyway.

Here I just felt if I jammed I'd have been looking at JT but there are lots of other possibilities. Would love to know what he had as the line doesn't make huge sense!

• ybyb
    edited March 2014
    We have the absolute top of our range on the turn imo. Not saying that definitely means we should always continue, but I'm never folding in game I don't think.

Think i'd call and call again on non J/T/9 rivers