You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Good News - There are no Sharks - Bad News - Its far more dangerous than that.

edited March 2014 in Poker Chat
Below is something i wrote on another site, thought it might be of interest.

This is the lie of poker - It is a game of Sharks and Fish. Fish are food, and Sharks live impervious lives at the top of the food chain.

This is the truth of Poker - It is a game played by piranha's. Piranha's are fish that eat other fish. Piranha's ARE fish.

All players start with the dream to become a shark. All that is left now is piranha. If you are still in the game after seven years you have probably made it to piranha. Unfortunately there is now a problem, less new players are now entering the swim. There are now more piranha's than fish. The piranha's now have to eat other piranha's. No matter how big you get as a piranha, other piranha's now want to eat you, and being piranha's, they are capable. This means you are no longer top of the food chain, you are simply in the food chain.

Poker is now an extreme sport. It can be extremely dangerous to your finances. 

If you like playing poker now, then i hope you are a danger junkie. At least you will be doing something that makes you happy.  

Comments

• edited March 2014
    Sharks are - by definition - just big fish.
  • edited March 2014
    But Sharks , by definition, live imperviously at the top of the food chain with no natural predators. That is my point, they're are no players now living poker lives of impervious serenity, rather all players are now in the mix

• edited March 2014
    And where do whales fit into this as they mostly eat plankton?
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Good News - There are no Sharks - Bad News - Its far more dangerous than that.:
    But Sharks , by definition, live imperviously at the top of the food chain with no natural predators. That is my point, they're are no players now living poker lives of impervious serenity, rather all players are now in the mix
    Posted by memfno

Mmmm so humans are not natural predators for sharks ! But seriously, I get what you are trying to say but there are still pockets of value out there.
  • edited March 2014
  • edited March 2014
    Yes

I am a fish. 

i would never deny it. 

in my Sky Fishy Life i have:

Finished 2nd In a UKOPS side
    Finished 1st In a 5K Bounty Hunter
    Finished 3rd in a 10K Primo
    Finished 1st in a 5K Turbo Open
    Finished 2nd in a 8K Bounty Hunter
    Finished 2nd in a 5K Turbo Open
    Finished 5th in a 10K Primo
    Finished 1st in a 4K Turbo BH
    Finished 1st in a 4K BH
    Finished 1st in a Primo

Live

1st in a Megastack at Blackpool Genting
    1st in a 25/25 Series at Salford G

But yes, I'm a fish, thats the point of my post

Memfno

• edited March 2014
    there will always be fish, piranhas and sharks, these days you just have to work harder to become a shark than you did 10 years ago and if the fish dry up then you have to move on to the Piranhas, as long as you can stay one step ahead you will always be fine
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Good News - There are no Sharks - Bad News - Its far more dangerous than that.:
    Yes I am a fish.  i would never deny it.  in my Sky Fishy Life i have: Finished 2nd In a UKOPS side Finished 1st In a 5K Bounty Hunter Finished 3rd in a 10K Primo Finished 1st in a 5K Turbo Open Finished 2nd in a 8K Bounty Hunter Finished 2nd in a 5K Turbo Open Finished 5th in a 10K Primo Finished 1st in a 4K Turbo BH Finished 1st in a 4K BH Finished 1st in a Primo Live 1st in a Megastack at Blackpool Genting 1st in a 25/25 Series at Salford G But yes, I'm a fish, thats the point of my post Memfno
    Posted by memfno

Alright memfno,  don't rise to the bait*

Brags much? ;)

*Geddit?  Eh? Eh?!
  • edited March 2014
    And for what its worth.... there are millions of people each year who turn 18 and think they'l 'give poker a go'

Dunno why everyone is so worried.

If it turns out that there is no money in poker, then people will stop playing professionally, the sharks will dissapear and the cycle will restart as the % of fish increase.

There may be times when its harder to grind a living in poker, but long term (which poker is all about), the 'sharks' will be fine.