You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

"English only at the table"

edited July 2009 in Poker Chat
You'll love this...

Earlier, I was railing my friend and Sky Poker colleague Nick Wealthall - who's playing in Day 1D of the WSOP main event.

During a hand, we were chatting about poker stuff, when two Americans complained that they couldn't understand what we were saying.

The dealer - who hadn't been paying attention - assumed that we'd been conversing in a foreign language and reminded Nick that it's "English only at the table."

We looked at each other with a sense of amused shock - and then said in unison, "We *were* speaking English!"

One of the Yanks at the table then had the nerve to mutter, "Yeah, but not *proper* English."

To which Nick replied, in typical Wealthall style, "Er...English is the native language of England - the clue's in the name..."

Unbelievable ... only in Las Vegas!!!

Comments

• edited July 2009
    In Response to "English only at the table":
    You'll love this... Earlier, I was railing my friend and Sky Poker colleague Nick Wealthall - who's playing in Day 1D of the WSOP main event. During a hand, we were chatting about poker stuff, when two Americans complained that they couldn't understand what we were saying. The dealer - who hadn't been paying attention - assumed that we'd been conversing in a foreign language and reminded Nick that it's "English only at the table." We looked at each other with a sense of amused shock - and then said in unison, "We *were* speaking English!" One of the Yanks at the table then had the nerve to mutter, "Yeah, but not *proper* English." To which Nick replied, in typical Wealthall style, "Er...English is the native language of England - the clue's in the name..." Unbelievable ... only in Las Vegas!!!
    Posted by J-Hartigan

Pesronally i can't stand the yanks with their we are the best at everything we rule the world type attitude.They are the people who ruined OUR language with words they made up along the years you have to use urban dictionary to work out what they are speaking in OUR language.Most annoying thing they is call football soccer i want to batter them when they say that rant over;-) P.s great reply nick.

• edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: "English only at the table":
    In Response to "English only at the table" :   Pesronally i can't stand the yanks with their we are the best at everything we rule the world type attitude.They are the people who ruined OUR language with words they made up along the years you have to use urban dictionary to work out what they are speaking in OUR language.Most annoying thing they is call football soccer i want to batter them when they say that rant over;-) P.s great reply nick.
    Posted by JAMIEP
        I agree with what you say, but soccer was an english name for football back in the day. Due there being two codes of "football" rugby football and associtation football. the word soccer comes from the associtation bit.
  • edited July 2009
    Doesn't surprise me one bit James. Wonder what they would have made of it if you'd had a Welsh or Broad Glaswegian accent!!

Just remember.....    *War is God's way of teaching Americans geography*
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to "English only at the table" :   Pesronally i can't stand the yanks with their we are the best at everything we rule the world type attitude.They are the people who ruined OUR language with words they made up along the years you have to use urban dictionary to work out what they are speaking in OUR language.Most annoying thing they is call football soccer i want to batter them when they say that rant over;-) P.s great reply nick.
    Posted by JAMIEP
    I completely agree! The stereotypical american is so annoying and I firmly believe that we are a far superior nation!
  • edited July 2009
    Glad you posted this James
    I am interested how Nick is getting on, wondering if he has used all his MOJO on Kara or has he kept some back like a true master.
    Also is he on a percentage of Kara? if so how can he choose which 5% of her, she is 100% gorgeous  
    Gary
  • edited July 2009
    Nick is through to Day 2B with 24,550 in chips!

He was playing incredibly well, but kept getting out-flopped.  That said, he was able to get away from the confrontations relatively cheaply...
  • edited July 2009
    Nick is through to Day 2B with 24,550 in chips! He was playing incredibly well, but kept getting out-flopped.  That said, he was able to get away from the confrontations relatively cheaply...
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    Thanks James
    Thats good news, be great to see Nick and Kara on the same table
    Gary
  • edited July 2009
    Pass on the very best of luck to Nick if you would. If he fails to match Kara's performance he'll never hear the end of it...
  • edited July 2009
    While Kara is through to Day 3 with nearly 140,000 in chips, Nick has busted at the start of Day 2B.

I believe it was a race - Nick's AQ against 88.  The pocket pair held up.

Hard luck, Mr W!