You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Was this really that bad a call?

I was told in the chat box that this was a "truly lousy call".

Now I'm no professional but here was my thoughts.

1 - We're already in the money & there's no significant jumps in cash until we hit the top 10 (currently 25/26 or so left at this point)

2 - I've only got 6 BB left and if I want to get to the bigger money I've got to take a chance sooner or later.

3 - FWIW, This is from the team Tikay freeroll & I'd decided that come what may I was going with these cards

Was I wrong to do this or should I have just mucked? Also, forget for one minute that this is a freeroll, would this be a worthwhile call in any tourney given the blinds & stacks?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
________ Small blind  1500.00 1500.00 84834.84
silentbob Big blind  3000.00 4500.00 17228.81
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • J

_________ Fold     
_________ Fold     
PLAYER 1 All-in  20865.08 25365.08 0.00
_________ Fold     
silentbob All-in  17228.81 42593.89 0.00
PLAYER 1 Unmatched bet  636.27 41957.62 636.27
silentbob Show
  • Q
  • J

PLAYER 1 Show

Flop

• Q

Turn

River

• A

silentbob Win Pair of Queens 41957.62  41957.62

Comments

• edited December 2009

I'd prefer pushing rather than calling with this hand, but it's not the worst call in the world.
  • edited December 2009
    player1 has only 7 big blinds his shove range is anything on the button, in your position in this tourny i see nothing wrong with you calling, im calling all day long here
  • edited December 2009
    There are worst calls.

To be fair it is a button shove, which means his range is super wide at this stage, but im nt sure qj is crushing his range!

It depends what this player has been doing with his previous buttons at this stage of the tournament, but its a very marginal call for me. The best you could hope for is what he turned over, but the majority of the time you are probably crushed.

I agree with you that you need to make a move very soon, but id much prefer to be the one pushing with the qj, i dont think i make the call with it.

Id rather fold the hand, and if the next hand is folded round to me in the sb ill open shove with any 2, or wait for the button and shove any 2.

Its alot easier when the decision isnt on you.

thats my thoughts, gl m8
  • edited December 2009
    JQ > shoving range

think i'd fold mind....but that's just me

NH
  • edited December 2009
    Very much a personal opinion but it's a freeroll.  I can justify a call with the cards Mr Bunn the Baker & The Rules of Contract Bridge.
  • edited December 2009
    Again - your chips, your decision. I think from your op you know you are gambling here and probably behind. You are not ahead of too much of his range, even though his range is huge. I can't make the call. Always want my chips in first with less than 15 bbs with marginals, but not the worst call I've seen - you just wanted live cards and you had them.
  • edited December 2009
    Not really a call you want to be making, but with your chipstack and like you said at this point its double or go out, then yes click the call button and hope for the best.
  • edited December 2009
    Cheers for the feedback guys. If I'm being honest I kinda knew at the time it wasn't the greatest call in the world but I did so for the reasons in my OP. I guess it was just one of those mad moments that I tend to have.
  • edited January 2010
    Hi Bob

My thoughts are that its a marginal call but its certainly not a bad call.

These are the sort of "tournament winning" double ups that you need at that stage and QJ is an ok hand in a HU situation providing it isnt dominated.

I  would ideally prefer to push with QJ rather than call with it, however, if the button has been a bit busy i might take this spot like you did, and call.

Your argument in the OP makes perfect sense to me.. Dont listen to bad losers saying "lousy call" etc... They are just bitter.

• edited January 2010

In this situation I would shove or fold - you know youre probably behind when you shove but QJ has good drawing possibilities.

• edited January 2010
    yeah, i dont think this is a great call. QJ is ok to shove, but to call you're probably behind 90% of the time
  • edited January 2010
    To me it has to be a call, you have just under 6 big blinds you probably wont find a better hand in the time you have left with the blinds being so high. Your also going to be ahead of his button shoving range alot of the time or be in a coinflip situation which to me with under 6 big blinds is a risk you have to take. The gap theory would state this is a hand you could shove with on the button but not one you could call a shove with but in this instance I don't think this theory applies. You did nothing wrong in my opinion mate so don't worry about it, I would of called too.
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Was this really that bad a call?:
    Very much a personal opinion but it's a freeroll.  I can justify a call with the cards Mr Bunn the Baker & The Rules of Contract Bridge.
    Posted by TommyD
    I would like a pair of Bunns in my hand before I got it all in. :)

(Pretty standard call IMO).

• edited January 2010
    I would definitely call at that stage in the tournament and that low stacked you have got to make a move sooner or later and they were 2 playable cards and I think most people agree you had to push at 6 big blinds you are just looking for 2 good cards to push with those were the 2 so despite what they said in the chat you made the right move, like I said you couldnt guarantee any better cards coming before you got blinded out and considering position in the tournament and stack levels it was a good call.

Spike2120