You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

My day at Cheltenham report.....(Tuesday 11th March)

edited March 2014 in Betting Chat

I was luckily enough to be given a ticket for a box at Cheltenham, and as this was going to be my 1st visit.....was well excited.

Picked up by a mini bus from Stoke at about 8.30am with papers galore on the seats to study form on the way down. I heard that the traffic would be a nightmare down there and we would probably have to queue for ages. We had a great driver.....we were there in superb time and by the time the doors were opening to enter the course. That was the 1st bit of run good. 

Had a champagne reception, which was nice but, I would of preferred a bacon sandwich and a large cup of coffee!!

Our box was a glass fronted one just up from the Guinness village (which was heaving all day being St.Patricks day!). We had some 'posh grub' for lunch before the days racing......

I had put a thread up asking for tips the day before on here and I had a printed copy with me with everyone's on. A big THANK YOU to all who contributed to that thread BTW.

Got off to a flyer by backing Vatour. Also had a couple of e/w bets but I was ahead already for the day. Good start.

I went a bit OTT with the amount I put Champagne Fever TBH but I was so hoping for this to win for Joesman too. It was so close in the end and I actually couldn't believe how little there was in the result.
However, while I was at the course bookies putting my bet on this, had a small e/w bet on Western Warhorse. So it was with mixed emotions when I went to collect my winnings on this but that meant 2/2 winners so far.

This is the race where I kicked myself. On the way down I had Holywell 'ringed' on my sheet as a horse I was backing no matter what. However, we had an 'expert tipster' (I have forgotten his name) come into our box before the races started and tipped up Hadrians Aproach for this race. I went with this one and Time for Rupert and forgot to put any on the winner!!

I was on The New One in this race but also had Melodic Rendezvous as my e/w chance. Never nice to see a horse (Our Conner) fall and then die at the races. Glad the jockey was ok though. I do think if The New One wasn't hampered in this fall, he would of won this race.

Another race where I had the winner Quevega ringed on my sheet but due to my stubbornness on backing odds on favourites, didn't back it. I had quite a few others each way instead and none of them got placed! :(

Had the winner in this, Midnight Prayer! Put a few quid on it too so I was going to be in profit for the day whatever happened in the last race.

Rounded off the day by getting yet another winner with Present View. 

So overall I had 4 out of the 7 winners and a very profitable day in the end.
I also loved the whole atmosphere down there and I recommend a visit to anyone who may have never been before to go. 

I also got to meet in the day the legend that is John Motson, Gary Newborn and even got my picture taken with Phil Tuffnell! 

Comments