You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Your favourite browser

edited March 2014 in Poker Chat

What is your favourite browser and why?

Comments

• edited March 2014
    Well I think each browser has many pro's and con's.  Lets have a look at each one.

What is Internet Explorer?

Internet Explorer is generally the first component of Windows used in 1995 that is generally known as Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE or MSIE) containing a series of graphical web browsers and works only on Windows Operating systems.  Over the years, it has been updated to different versions to improve the operating system for Microsoft Windows.

The Internet Explorer supports Java, RSS, JavaScript, ActiveX for downloading purposes such as videos, songs, or software. It also includes  privacy protection such as malware and phishing that is built-in. It mainly use over roughly 90% percent of the world in the market.

Most people started out using Internet Explorer majority of the time when it comes to browsing the internet, checking emails, listening to music online, shopping online, and etc. This was the first web browser consumers used in technology world before other web browsers came out.  For more information check out Internet Explorer website.

Looking at the latest updates, 26% of the users on internet are using Internet Explorer but Google Chrome comes close to second place in the competition of usage share in April 2012 followed by Firefox and so on.

Pros:

• Free to download at no cost
    • Offers every help option we looked for, including direct support via email and telephone
    • Provides speed and functionality
    • Easy to use
    • Mostly used throughout the world

Cons:

• Bugs come in IE (Internet Explorer) users at different times and fixing them is time consuming
    • Microsoft is unaware of finding any bugs hidden within the browser to fix
    • Installation on software such as Adobe Flash Player can be slow and has to be done manually sometimes when it comes to updates that need to be install
    • Lack of security in ActiveX controls
    • Lack of built in features to synchronize bookmarks
    • Confusion between 32 and 64 bit versions for IE
    • Lack of cross-platform experience (ie. used in Windows but not Mac)
    • Huge target for hackers and cyber-thieves

What is Safari?

Safari is web browser that was produced and developed by Apple Inc. which functions on a Mac OX, iOS, and Windows operating system. It was first put out in public on January 7, 2003 by Apple Inc. It was Apple’s default browser known as “Panther” for Mac users and released on June 11, 2007 on Microsoft Windows operating system.

Safari is generally for Mac users who are operating Mac OS X 8.1 and onwards for later systems. Many people didn’t have a MacBook when they first started using computers because it was either too expensive or were so used to using a Windows platform even though IE (Internet Explorer) was also good for Mac at the time. For more information check out Safari website.

Pros:

• Ease of Use
    • Page-load times impressive
    • Provides all of security features
    • Cleans up unnecessary junk
    • Great for Mac users and free to download
    • Speed compatibility
    • Extremely Fast to download for Mac users
    • Add extensions from Safari Extensions

Cons:

• Lack of customization options many competitors offer
    • Support system may be missing some options for users in FAQ section
    • Trouble with Google built-in search engine that can’t be change
    • Difficulty deleting cookies on exit automatically

What is Google Chrome?

Google Chrome is a freeware browser developed by Google using the WebKit layout engine. It was first release on Microsoft Windows operating system on September 2, 2008 in 43 different languages in beta version  .It was written in C++, Assembly, Python, and JavaScript. Now a days it is available in 50 languages. For more information you can check out website www.google.com/chrome.

Pros:

• Fast browsing performance
    • More control over your tabs
    • More dynamic home page for common used search engines and bookmarks
    • More speed and won’t slow down on your browsing through internet
    • Built-in Flash and PDF Support
    • Has sync capabilities that allow you to access your customized browser from any computer
    • Makes searching so much simpler
    • Ease of use
    • Great security

Cons:

• Lack of parental controls
    • Minor site incompatibilities
    • Graphics hardware acceleration doesn’t work with all graphics cards

What is Firefox?

Firefox is a free and open source web browser developed for Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux coordinated by Mozilla Corporation and Mozilla Foundation. It was first version 1.0 released on November 9, 2004. It is now available in about 78 languages worldwide. The original title was Phoenix from the Phoenix Technologies and had to be renamed because of trademark problems. It was renamed to Firebird which was a free database software project. There was conflict in using the name and the matter was resolved when they renamed the browser again to Firefox. Later on February 9, 2004, Mozilla Firebird became known as Mozilla Firefox then simply referred to as Firefox (Fx, fx, or FF).

Firefox was introduced to new comers who were used to browsing through Internet Explorer in the early 90s. Majority of people may stick to this brand since it most popular browsers amongst its competitors based on its features and may allow secure downloads on applications and programs. For more information check out Firefox website.

Pros:

• More secure privacy mode and downloading
    • More intuitive navigation
    • Contains minimalist interface
    • Offers lot of help and support on Firefox tutorial
    • Ease of use
    • More Customization
    • Speed and more compatible
    • Easy to have add-ons

Cons:

• No thumbnail previews or mouse gestures however there are free plug-ins from Firefox Mozilla that address both these issues
    • Resource heavy “uses a heavy portion of memory to run”

Conclusion:

No one cares.

• edited March 2014
    Sorry guys... seems like I* left out Opera.

Think we can all agree its pretty terrible though.

*May or may not have been written by me.
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Your favourite browser:
    Well I think each browser has many pro's and con's.  Lets have a look at each one. What is Internet Explorer?     Internet Explorer is generally the first component of Windows used in 1995 that is generally known as Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE or MSIE) containing a series of graphical web browsers and works only on Windows Operating systems.  Over the years, it has been updated to different versions to improve the operating system for Microsoft Windows. The Internet Explorer supports Java, RSS, JavaScript, ActiveX for downloading purposes such as videos, songs, or software. It also includes  privacy protection such as malware and phishing that is built-in. It mainly use over roughly 90% percent of the world in the market. Most people started out using Internet Explorer majority of the time when it comes to browsing the internet, checking emails, listening to music online, shopping online, and etc. This was the first web browser consumers used in technology world before other web browsers came out.  For more information check out Internet Explorer website. Looking at the latest updates, 26% of the users on internet are using Internet Explorer but Google Chrome comes close to second place in the competition of usage share in April 2012 followed by Firefox and so on.     Pros: Free to download at no cost Offers every help option we looked for, including direct support via email and telephone Provides speed and functionality Easy to use Mostly used throughout the world Cons: Bugs come in IE (Internet Explorer) users at different times and fixing them is time consuming Microsoft is unaware of finding any bugs hidden within the browser to fix Installation on software such as Adobe Flash Player can be slow and has to be done manually sometimes when it comes to updates that need to be install Lack of security in ActiveX controls Lack of built in features to synchronize bookmarks Confusion between 32 and 64 bit versions for IE Lack of cross-platform experience (ie. used in Windows but not Mac) Huge target for hackers and cyber-thieves   What is Safari?   Safari is web browser that was produced and developed by Apple Inc. which functions on a Mac OX, iOS, and Windows operating system. It was first put out in public on January 7, 2003 by Apple Inc. It was Apple’s default browser known as “Panther” for Mac users and released on June 11, 2007 on Microsoft Windows operating system. Safari is generally for Mac users who are operating Mac OS X 8.1 and onwards for later systems. Many people didn’t have a MacBook when they first started using computers because it was either too expensive or were so used to using a Windows platform even though IE (Internet Explorer) was also good for Mac at the time. For more information check out Safari website.     Pros: Ease of Use Page-load times impressive Provides all of security features Cleans up unnecessary junk Great for Mac users and free to download Speed compatibility Extremely Fast to download for Mac users Add extensions from Safari Extensions Cons: Lack of customization options many competitors offer Support system may be missing some options for users in FAQ section Trouble with Google built-in search engine that can’t be change Difficulty deleting cookies on exit automatically     What is Google Chrome? Google Chrome is a freeware browser developed by Google using the WebKit layout engine. It was first release on Microsoft Windows operating system on September 2, 2008 in 43 different languages in beta version  .It was written in C++, Assembly, Python, and JavaScript. Now a days it is available in 50 languages. For more information you can check out website www.google.com/chrome .   Pros: Fast browsing performance More control over your tabs More dynamic home page for common used search engines and bookmarks More speed and won’t slow down on your browsing through internet Built-in Flash and PDF Support Has sync capabilities that allow you to access your customized browser from any computer Makes searching so much simpler Ease of use Great security Free to download at no cost Cons: Lack of parental controls Minor site incompatibilities Graphics hardware acceleration doesn’t work with all graphics cards     What is Firefox? Firefox is a free and open source web browser developed for Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux coordinated by Mozilla Corporation and Mozilla Foundation. It was first version 1.0 released on November 9, 2004. It is now available in about 78 languages worldwide. The original title was Phoenix from the Phoenix Technologies and had to be renamed because of trademark problems. It was renamed to Firebird which was a free database software project. There was conflict in using the name and the matter was resolved when they renamed the browser again to Firefox. Later on February 9, 2004, Mozilla Firebird became known as Mozilla Firefox then simply referred to as Firefox (Fx, fx, or FF). Firefox was introduced to new comers who were used to browsing through Internet Explorer in the early 90s. Majority of people may stick to this brand since it most popular browsers amongst its competitors based on its features and may allow secure downloads on applications and programs. For more information check out Firefox website.       Pros: More secure privacy mode and downloading More intuitive navigation Contains minimalist interface Offers lot of help and support on Firefox tutorial Ease of use More Customization Speed and more compatible Easy to have add-ons Free to download at no cost Cons: No thumbnail previews or mouse gestures however there are free plug-ins from Firefox Mozilla that address both these issues Resource heavy “uses a heavy portion of memory to run”     Conclusion: No one cares.
    Posted by gazza127

erm...... yeah suppose that sums it up.

i use chrome. i dont know why. 

my explorer is slow.  but have too use that for hand histories.

• edited March 2014

If you have voted, please do explain why.

Is it look and feel? Performance? The one you are used to?
  • edited March 2014
    Firefox all the way

It's fast, it seems to be secure, as opposed to Gazza's post I find it uses less resources than other browsers, updates seem to install seamlessly, it runs Sky Poker about as well as can be expected, and it tends to follow standards for rendering HTML better than IE or Chrome.
  • edited March 2014
    Always used Firefox out of habit i suppose.
    Play poker through Firefox as i like to stretch the table to have large chat box on right hand side.

Be interested to know which uses more memory, Firefox or Chrome?
  • edited March 2014
    I find Firefox uses less a) Memory and b) Processing Power
  • edited March 2014
    I swap between FF and IE. If my current browser messes up in any way I switch to the other. Currently it's FF. I tried Opera a couple of years ago and found it was lightening fast but couldn't get my head around the control system.
  • edited March 2014
    I used to use IE and always thought that was the best until I was convinced to use Chrome. Since then I haven't looked back, I have no problems with it at all so see no reason to change. 
  • edited March 2014
    Chrome is a bit of a memory hog
    but otherwise it blows away the opposition on most metrics
    just a shame the sky hand history copy doesn't work on it
    even though chrome has the best html5 compliance.
  • edited March 2014
    Has to be chrome

p.s my condolonces to those still using I.E
  • edited March 2014
    My favourite bowser was the original one from super mario brothers.  I hope he gets his wish to marry princess peach one day.
  • edited March 2014
    Firefox, because it is the best overall.

I think most people already realise that the "best browser award" is between Chrome and Firefox, and while Chrome is faster, Firefox is much better in terms of customisation and security, thus putting it top of the pile.
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Your favourite browser:
    Chrome is a bit of a memory hog but otherwise it blows away the opposition on most metrics just a shame the sky hand history copy doesn't work on it even though chrome has the best html5 compliance.
    Posted by GELDY

I also voted for Chrome.  IE  is too slow on my lappy and is prone to "hang".  Pity about HH in chrome tho.
  • edited March 2014
    firefox seems too work well for me and used that for as long as i remember
  • edited March 2014
    I use IE. Works fine for me, never any problems.

Have tried Firefox and Chrome also, didn't like them, went back to IE each time.
  • edited March 2014
    Oh
    I also use Boat and Dolphin
    very useful if you are needing to multi browse and don't want to use IE