You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

QOTD2! - Shot Clock?

edited March 2014 in Poker Chat

Hi

There's a lot of lively debate in the world of live poker around shot clocks, which would only give you a certain amount of time to make a decision.

Those for it say that that it would speed up the game, get more hands in per level, make it more fun and stop people taking what they consider to be too long on decisions.

Those against it say that it would change the game too much, it would be difficult to manage and mean you wouldn't be able to think for a long time when sometimes you want to.

So....

Comments

• edited March 2014

As usual, your reasons why would be great please.
  • edited March 2014

Seems to be a few votes for it.

How long would you give?
  • edited March 2014
    60 seonds per decision would be pretty fair, maybe every player should be allowed 1 one or 2 tokens per tournament where they can use to get an extra minute for a tough decision.
  • edited March 2014
    Yeah 60 seconds seems like a maximum you'd want + a couple of 'timebank' options.

Maybe I'm being naive, but get the impression that a lot of the drawn out thinking in live poker is just for show, make your opponent think a decision is far harder than it really is.

With most, if not all, players in tournaments also playing on the internet, the vast majority of decisions are going to be made within 10-15 seconds.

If it really does take that much longer, then should internet poker consider allowing far longer to make decisions?
  • edited March 2014
    Bad idea, carte blanche.

Live poker is predicated on the decision-making process, and the ability of one player to out-think another. If you remove that element, you go some way towards destroying what makes poker enjoyable for a lot of players.

It could potentially be like snooker: in regular tournaments, take as long as you want, but there could be specific events where the (in the case of snooker, twenty-five second) 'shot clock' is implemented.
  • edited March 2014
    Hi sky

Good idea in theory but shouldn't we consider where it could be abused. Players trying to ladder and cash maybe would use their shotclock to take time up unfairly thus forcing other players to use the same strategy. Maybe use in high bi  tournament where there is a justification for extra time being needed due to more complicated plays needing to be considered.
    Low bi's ,don't bother...
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: QOTD2! - Shot Clock?:
    60 seonds per decision would be pretty fair, maybe every player should be allowed 1 one or 2 tokens per tournament where they can use to get an extra minute for a tough decision.
    Posted by jordz16
    60 seconds in a live tourney? That seems incredibly harsh to me. BTW I voted no. Why reduce a live game to the same level as online.
  • edited March 2014
    i shot the sheriff,but i did not shoot the clock :):):):) xxx
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Abuse of shot clock:
    Hi sky Good idea in theory but shouldn't we consider where it could be abused. Players trying to ladder and cash maybe would use their shotclock to take time up unfairly thus forcing other players to use the same strategy. Maybe use in high bi  tournament where there is a justification for extra time being needed due to more complicated plays needing to be considered. Low bi's ,don't bother...
    Posted by profman15

This is discussing reducing the time, not increasing it. At the moment you basically have unlimited time to think live (within reason). Can mean the difference between 20 hands per hour or 40 hands per hour which is a pretty big deal. I voted yes