You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

EPT Barca FT, Middleton right or wrong?

edited March 2014 in Poker Chat

If you do a deal and shake hands with all concerned should you ever then go back on it? Putting aside the fact that Middleton took it down I think it was bad form going back on the deal after speaking to others on the rail. From a financial point of view his final decision was obviously correct but the  whole thing leaves a bad taste for me... thoughts!

Comments

• edited March 2014
    The fact he shook i thought was shocking. Im a big supporter of him as he's a few miles from me but that was terrible. He should have had the stones to say he needed to consult friends before shaking. Especially as the money seemed to really matter to the remaining players.
  • edited March 2014
    I remember watching it on the live stream and cringing when he came back and said no deal. This was after trying to persuade the Italian guy to take the deal and then shaking hands with everyone after they agreed.
    In my view when the deal is being discussed no outside parties should get involved even if they have a big % of the player.
    Listening to the discussion between Middleton and his backers it was clear Middleton wanted the deal but was basically told NO.
    In my view once you have said yes and shaken hands it is done and anyone who reneges on that is someone never to be trusted or respected again.
  • edited March 2014
    Total lack of class IMO...
    He offered a deal that was heavily weighted in his favour and shook on it.
    I think he was surprised when then agreed and then got greedy.
    This is one of the reasons I don't like deals.
    (Cos I'm always on the ft me!.lol)
  • edited March 2014

Yeah, i was pretty shocked he renaged on the deal after shaking everyone's hands.

• edited March 2014
    firstly imo think a player like middleton should not have tried agree a deal in 1st place.

but when they were discussing terms for a deal he said he wanted more and then saying to the italian guy he has an edge etc that`s why he wants more money which is fair enough, so basically deal only went ahead on his terms then when he got what he wanted still wasn`t good enough for his rail imo and after everyone agreeing terms to suit him just not nice for the other 3 players.

he seemed a nice guy middleton and I honestly don`t think he meant to come across as a right (beep) think his rail had big part in his decision which made him say no deal but he should not have shook hands with remaining players in 1st place.
  • edited March 2014
    It was a bit ackward the other 3 players were celebrating lol

To have their 600k dreams shattered...
  • edited March 2014
    yeah that nielsen was like what the (beep) lol he was funny at times through the tourney
  • edited March 2014
    well done done middy!!! that guy in the barca top was a knob, id have done the same in ur shoes just to p*** him off!!!
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: EPT Barca FT, Middleton right or wrong?:
    well done done middy!!! that guy in the barca top was a knob, id have done the same in ur shoes just to p*** him off!!!
    Posted by THEROCK573
    lol your cruel rock
  • edited March 2014
    I dont see that much problem with it TBH - he was clearly embarassed by the whole thing.

what he should have done, was discussed first with his backers what deal they would be willing to accept. I'm sure he will next time.

• edited March 2014
    I dont remeber seeing him actually shake hands? I saw a guy offer his hand and he hesitated before going to his rail. 

If he did shake hands then yes, it was bad form. He did look embarresed by how it was dealt with and I'm sure he wont make the same mistake again. Im ready to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one as there was no mailice or intention to decieve on his part.
  • edited March 2014
    Just watched it now. Don't think he's done too much wrong really. Only one guy offered his hand in an informal way and Middy shook it (at least thats all they showed on the highlights). Tom clearly said he needed to go and speak to the rail before agreeing to any deal. It's not like he shook hands with them all whilst saying they had a deal, then went back on it. 

Could have been handled a little better maybe, but I don't think he was in the wrong whatsoever from what was portrayed by C4.
  • edited March 2014
    Just watched it now. Don't think he's done too much wrong really. Only one guy offered his hand in an informal way and Middy shook it (at least thats all they showed on the highlights). Tom clearly said he needed to go and speak to the rail before agreeing to any deal. It's not like he shook hands with them all whilst saying they had a deal, then went back on it.  Could have been handled a little better maybe, but I don't think he was in the wrong whatsoever from what was portrayed by C4.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Did it show the part where Middleton said he couldn't do the deal unless the others were prepared to give up 17k each I think it was which the others eventually agreed? Don't get me wrong I am glad a Brit took it down but in my view it was a little out of order.
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: EPT Barca FT, Middleton right or wrong? : Did it show the part where Middleton said he couldn't do the deal unless the others were prepared to give up 17k each I think it was which the others eventually agreed? Don't get me wrong I am glad a Brit took it down but in my view it was a little out of order.
    Posted by a00rock
    Yeah he was saying he would need an extra 15k from the others before he could agree to anything, and the others gave up the cash, but at no point in the footage was a deal formally agreed in my opinion. Chaotic and unorganised yes, but all above board and nothing too untoward.
  • edited March 2014
    The ch4 episode was highly edited. The actuall deal discussion went on for at least 20 mins. Middleton made a deal suggestion the Dane and Finn agreed ,Middleton was trying to persuade the Italian guy to agree for a good 10 mins, the Italian then agreed. I can not be sure that hands were shook but the Danish guy said they were. Then the TD asked do we have a deal and Middleton said he had to go and talk to his rail.
    No one is saying it is not above board or untoward its  just not very classy.
  • edited March 2014
    I read 1 post on fb saying that it was a good tactic in that his actions would probably have tilted the others, that maybe but I agree with you jonjo.
  • edited March 2014

Just watched it myself.. Im more worried bout the standard of play on the final table. Middleton obv very good player. Just thought the others may aswell have just gave him the title after the deal fell through. The K8 jam was crazy, as were fins play heads up although id guess other hands went on and it was edited to show big hands...
    But he was wrong the shake hands then change mind IMO....

• edited March 2014
    Posted by THEROCK573
    I don't think he was a knob....just a regular guy showing some real emotion when hitting against the odds...and enjoying being in such a massive game.