You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Omaha Idea

edited March 2014 in Poker Chat
Hi Guys,

Sent this off to the suits at Sky last week,  Hoping for a reply soon.  Just thought I'd post it on here and get some feedback as to the merits of this idea.  Appreciate feedback  Cheers Jock

The objective is to have a least one reasonably large PLO tournament on a weekly or monthy basis.  

As DYM’s seem to be the most popular format of Omaha on Sky I thought we could use that as the conduit for this promotion

Stage 1. Daily DYM Sats 
Along with the usual DYM PLO games that are run, there will be a £5.75 satellite DYM that will run through each day.  In the case of these unique DYM’s the top 3 will be entered into a PLO tournament to run at 9:00pm that evening.  Which equates to a £10 buy in 

Stage 2. Daily MTT DYM Sats  Roughly £10 Buy in 
This tournament will effectively be a unlimited number DYM.  Similar to the survivor series that Sky did in the past.  
The top 50% of the all entrants in this evening Tournament will be entered into the main event.  This will put approx. £20 per player into the prize pool for the main event 

Stage 3.  Main Event  Roughly £20 Buy In 
The main event can be run on a weekly basis on even a monthly basis 

If sky wanted to put a guarantee onto the event then they could do.  But even without it Players could be playing a £20 MTT PLO tournament on a weekly or monthly basis for just a £5 outlay

Hope this is of interest,  

Comments

• edited March 2014
    Too be honest, I think Sy could easily get a "big" Omaha tournament happen every week. We have Turbo Tuesday/rebuy wednesday etc ... On Monday, as well as the main(replacing the main with an Omaha event would be suicide) maybe around 8:20, Call it Omaha Monday and simply put an £11 omaha tournament in the yellow section. Bit of advertising on the show the night before, a few regs putting their names down and it will soon fill up. 

There is a £5 game every day at around 7:40 and I think that gets between 20 and 30 runners. I'm sure the majority of those + others would join. This could then lead to more Omaha cash tables running in the future.
  • edited March 2014
    me and tikay have discussed this many times, even a weekly league for plo8, but no joy as yet.

it wouldn't hurt sky to place a said mtt into the lobby (with no gtd) as no risk taken on skys part, if this is a real hit, make it a larger mtt with a gtd.

but i'm afraid i feel that you will be hitting a brick wall with this one.
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Omaha Idea:
    me and tikay have discussed this many times, even a weekly league for plo8, but no joy as yet. it wouldn't hurt sky to place a said mtt into the lobby (with no gtd) as no risk taken on skys part, if this is a real hit, make it a larger mtt with a gtd. but i'm afraid i feel that you will be hitting a brick wall with this one.
    Posted by ms-tree

Yeah but the Berlin wall came down after 50 years so I'm hopeful ;o)
  • edited March 2014
    Thought I'd bump this one for the guys and gals getting home from work about now ;o)
  • edited March 2014
    Maybe one of SKY's aims for 2014 should be to have a PLO8 tournament with 100 entries.
  • edited March 2014
    I seem to remember a ukops tournament that more than met its guarantee.
    Good idea, keep pushing for it and I am sure they will listen.
  • edited March 2014
    Great suggestions Peter. Thumbs up!

Sort it out Sky! :D
  • edited March 2014

They used to run a £5oo gtd PLO8 MTT on a Friday night @ 10.00p.m. Think it was £5.50 Rebuy tournament.

Used to get about 4o runners i think and usually just missed the guarantee, however this was about 18 months 

and as there is obviously a lot more interest in PLO/PLO8 now than there was then i think this MTT should be

relaunched for , say, a month's trial.

• edited March 2014
          They used to run a £5oo gtd PLO8 MTT on a Friday night @ 10.00p.m. Think it was £5.50 Rebuy tournament.        Used to get about 4o runners i think and usually just missed the guarantee, however this was about 18 months    and as there is obviously a lot more interest in PLO/PLO8 now than there was then i think this MTT should be   relaunched for , say, a month's trial.    
    Posted by pomfrittes

Like the idea of a Months trial to see if it works 

• edited March 2014
          They used to run a £5oo gtd PLO8 MTT on a Friday night @ 10.00p.m. Think it was £5.50 Rebuy tournament.        Used to get about 4o runners i think and usually just missed the guarantee, however this was about 18 months    and as there is obviously a lot more interest in PLO/PLO8 now than there was then i think this MTT should be   relaunched for , say, a month's trial.    
    Posted by pomfrittes
    40 runners =£200 thats not even close too the gaurentee even if they all bought a rebuy
  • edited March 2014
    Hi Jock, excellent suggestion.

As you know I played alot of PLO dyms and have now turned to PLO8 due to traffic.

No doubt the dyms are very popular for plo8

I think your suggestion is spot on hopefully they will pilot it and see what it generates.

I also like the idea of a league but not sure what ms trees suggested format was.

One thing I would suggest Jock is that these tourneys go from stage 1 PLO8 to stage 2 PLO I think a mix might encourage more people to play PLO which is sadly lacking interest at the moment.

Either way though I like your suggestion.

Ger
  • edited March 2014
    I would also add that if sky introduce omaha freerolls which seems to be on the cards it might get more players on board hopefully.

I play on quite a few sites and Sky probably has the best dym or 50/50 traffic for Omaha online which is amazing considering the amount of countries that cannot access sky poker.

Ger
  • edited March 2014
    I would also add that if sky introduce omaha freerolls which seems to be on the cards it might get more players on board hopefully. I play on quite a few sites and Sky probably has the best dym or 50/50 traffic for Omaha online which is amazing considering the amount of countries that cannot access sky poker. Ger
    Posted by gerardirl
    They had Omaha (not hilo) Freerolls on Saturday and Sunday afternoons and for some reason stopped them. They used to get quite a good turnout if i remember correctly. They were great for novice Omaha players like myself.
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Omaha Idea : 40 runners =£200 thats not even close too the gaurentee even if they all bought a rebuy
    Posted by 1bigbluff
    Gotta include add-ons too.

40 BIs + 40 rebuys + 20 add-ons = guarantee
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Omaha Idea : They had Omaha (not hilo) Freerolls on Saturday and Sunday afternoons and for some reason stopped them. They used to get quite a good turnout if i remember correctly. They were great for novice Omaha players like myself.
    Posted by FlyingDagg
    yeah they always got 400+ im sure and where good fun one of the reasons i started playing hi/lo and the fact im cr*p at hold em so two chances too win is good :@P

it is about time sky helped tikay take it too the next level he has been fantastic at enticing new players and building the traffic so maybe now is the time sky tried more too help keep these players playing omaha.

There is a thread about omaha freerolls so maybe they are going too give it a whirl again and hopefully they rotate between the 2 variants and that way it suits all...

Churchy

• edited March 2014
    Maybe one of SKY's aims for 2014 should be to have a PLO8 tournament with 100 entries.
    Posted by Ice_Tiger
    It's pretty simple to achieve, and I'm not sure why it hasn't been mentioned before, to be honest.

We just need to ask Dustin to start spamming every second thread with stuff like:

"I would be honoured if you would play the 2.20 @ 2.20 OMAHA DEEPSTACK. Someone of your calibre makes this a great tournament."

Job done.
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Omaha Idea : It's pretty simple to achieve, and I'm not sure why it hasn't been mentioned before, to be honest. We just need to ask Dustin to start spamming every second thread with stuff like: "I would be honoured if you would play the 2.20 @ 2.20 OMAHA DEEPSTACK. Someone of your calibre makes this a great tournament." Job done.
    Posted by Slipwater
    +1 get the rainman on it :)
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Omaha Idea : They had Omaha (not hilo) Freerolls on Saturday and Sunday afternoons and for some reason stopped them. They used to get quite a good turnout if i remember correctly. They were great for novice Omaha players like myself.
    Posted by FlyingDagg
    +1
  • edited March 2014
    Good afternoon all
    Sky  Sam has said Sky Peter will look into this and possibly something will happen on monday.
    Thread in the feedback area.
    All the best
    Rainman397