You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Making notes on your opponants

The notes I make seem to do more harm than good. Does anyone have any suggestions what to write and how to use them. I tend to use them when I feel I have had a bad beat which is probably just bad luck. But I think that I have used this as an indication of how they normally play.  

Comments

• edited July 2009
    take notes when hands get shown down at the river or whenever someone does something unusual. Did they lead out into the preflop raiser with a strong hand, did they check raise as a bluff. Did he have a set when he minraised, Did he bet bigger with Aces or kings. Things which you would be able to spot when he does them again making it easier to put him on a certain range of hands.

• edited July 2009
    You should include your notes on a player as well as notes as to how they percieve you. Make sure you are aware of your position for pre-flop and flop raises and re-raises and your showdown value.

I always date my notes monthly - because players can change their style of play.

For instance i may write -

RichOrford
    (July 09)
    Position player - Will R wth any 2 cards on B and CO.
    Float flop if 1/2 bets pot. Does so with under pair.
    Called mid pair on R with poss Flsh + Strt. Don't try to Bluff on R.

I'm loose agg. I play SuitConn's. Bet big hands hard.
  • edited July 2009
    Just abbreviated it... and put each player in a category..... TAG/LAG/MANIAC/NIT ETC... ALSO IF THEY DEFEND/STEAL BLINDS... RIVER BLUFF.... POSITONAL PLAY.. RAISING ON BUTTON ETC...BUT DONT FORGET PLAYERS DO MIX IT UP SO IF UR NOTES SAY ONE THING ABOUT A PLAYER AND THEY ARE DOING SOMETHING ELSE...U MAY HAVE TO REVISE THEM... BUT DONT ALWAYS TAKE UR NOTES AS HOW THAT PLAYER WILL PLAY....THATS THE BEAUTY OF THE GAME... U THINK U KNOW WHERE  U R ..BUT SOMETIMES  U DONT! GOOD LUCK
  • edited July 2009
    DNB!! is always a good one, for Do Not Bluff, for those special players who call with any pair or any two cards.
  • edited July 2009
    How about TSGYMIF - BBB.
    Tikay Says Get Your Money In First - Bingo Bango Bongo
  • edited July 2009
    i like to put things like ' this guy is silly'

It helps when you play MTTs
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Making notes on your opponants:
    The notes I make seem to do more harm than good. Does anyone have any suggestions what to write and how to use them. I tend to use them when I feel I have had a bad beat which is probably just bad luck. But I think that I have used this as an indication of how they normally play.   
    Posted by pokerfac23
    Thanks for all your suggestions I think they will all be better than a lot of the swear words I was putting on them. I don't think they helped me win hands before but they did make me feel better !   LOL
  • edited July 2009
    Usually end up using notes to decide whether a player is a complete moron or not