You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

quiz - which hand is most likely to crack AA

edited March 2014 in Poker Chat
Any hand held by Rivermunky but only if your in the last 20 of a tourney

Comments

• edited March 2014
    which hand is most likely to crack AA?

bonus prizes* if you can explain in why it is more likely to win than other similar hands

-----EDIT----

there is no previous action or any action to come, simply all in preflop. If villain has AA and you can choose a hand, which would have the best equity?

* - there are no prizes
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: quiz - which hand is most likely to crack AA:
    Any hand held by Rivermunky but only if your in the last 20 of a tourney
    Posted by bolly580
    You mean last 31 ...
  • edited March 2014
    According to last nights ME 74off suit is a cert
  • edited March 2014
    Gotta be 78 sooted
  • edited March 2014
    67 or 78 suited if we are talking AA v a random hand with no poker action, just on the maths.

In actual play the deeper we get then we're look at TT+ winning a 20/80 or a suited ace hitting trips, flush or straights.  Unless you're up against a maniac.  The deeper we get in play the stronger the ranges are.

In say a MTT setting AA will get cracked a bit by a good 3bet jam range.
  • edited March 2014
    I'm guessing 10-J suited, reason up and down straights, flush and of course 2 pair a set opportunities. lot of ways to improve.
  • edited March 2014
    67 or 78 suited if we are talking AA v a random hand with no poker action, just on the maths. In actual play the deeper we get then we're look at TT+ winning a 20/80 or a suited ace hitting trips, flush or straights.  Unless you're up against a maniac.  The deeper we get in play the stronger the ranges are. In say a MTT setting AA will get cracked a bit by a good 3bet jam range.
    Posted by TommyD

Hi Tommy, 

I do just mean all in pre, purely on the maths - there are no range considerations or previouis action.

and no, its not 67 or 78 :)
  • edited March 2014
    I'm guessing 10-J suited, reason up and down straights, flush and of course 2 pair a set opportunities. lot of ways to improve.
    Posted by legslipper

nope...JTs is actually quite a bit down the list, behind Tommy's suggestion of 67s or 78s
  • edited March 2014
    A hand such as 68 suited, if you hit two pair or hit a straight you opponenet is unlikely to believe you and will get there chips in the middle, where as if you have a hand such as KQ suited and hit 2 pair its easier for your opponent to get of the hand
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: quiz - which hand is most likely to crack AA : Hi Tommy,  I do just mean all in pre, purely on the maths - there are no range considerations or previouis action. and no, its not 67 or 78 :)
    Posted by chicknMelt
    Just played with poker calculator & can't get anything to beat 67s or 78s??
  • edited March 2014
    A hand such as 68 suited, if you hit two pair or hit a straight you opponenet is unlikely to believe you and will get there chips in the middle, where as if you have a hand such as KQ suited and hit 2 pair its easier for your opponent to get of the hand
    Posted by shuv

...better than JTs, but not as good as 6s7s and not as good as the best hand obv

I clarified the question in my OP...
  • edited March 2014

The answer is A-2-5-10.

What do I win?
  • edited March 2014
    The answer is A-2-5-10. What do I win?
    Posted by Tikay10

lol...nothing, you bust the DYM 1st
  • edited March 2014
    It's either Q9 suited, or 34 suited.

Can't quite figure out which one though.
  • edited March 2014
    I'd go with 98s as AA blocks some of the straights 9Ts+ can make.

If not that then I'd guess at any pocket pair 66 to 99 as AA blocks straights that can be made with pairs 22 to 55 and TT to KK. The pair would have be diffent suits to the aces, ie two red nines vs two black aces.
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: quiz - which hand is most likely to crack AA : Just played with poker calculator & can't get anything to beat 67s or 78s??
    Posted by goldnballz
    it is there...you just havent typed the right hands in :)
    HandEquityWinsTies
    AA77.50%7,941,00942,648
    xx22.50%2,290,16742,648

HandEquityWinsTies
    AA77.53%7,946,22337,197
    6s7s22.47%2,290,40437,197
  • edited March 2014
    All in preflop id have to say the other AA then???
  • edited March 2014
    It's either Q9 suited, or 34 suited. Can't quite figure out which one though.
    Posted by Slipwater

no...terrible :P

HandEquityWinsTies
    AA80.96%8,293,05649,059
    3c4c19.04%1,931,70949,059
  • edited March 2014
    I'd go with 98s, AA blocks some of the straights 9Ts+ can make.
    Posted by GaryQQQ

ooo, you on the right lines. but no
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to quiz - which hand is most likely to crack AA:
    which hand is most likely to crack AA? bonus prizes* if you can explain in why it is more likely to win than other similar hands * - there are no prizes
    Posted by chicknMelt
    56 sooted.......

56 sooted can make more straights than the AA and AA cant make a bigger straight than the 56 as you are holding a 5 in your hand.

That being said......Just because it's more likely to beat AA than any other hand, it doesn't mean to say it will that often.  Although i'm happy for everyone on the site to be calling me with their whole stack with 56s thinking they have the better hand :)

I'm sure i'll win one or two races along the way :) 
  • edited March 2014
    Posted by shuv

lol... i did forget to say you can't have AA too.

fair enough tho, that does beat the hand I had in terms of equity.

Assume you you can't also have AA...
  • edited March 2014
    Posted by shuv
    50% equity obviously, but surely its's nearly always a chop? ie the other AA doesn't get cracked.
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to quiz - which hand is most likely to crack AA : 56 sooted....... 56 sooted can make more straights than the AA and AA cant make a bigger straight than the 56 as you are holding a 5 in your hand. That being said......Just because it's more likely to beat AA than any other hand, it doesn't mean to say it will that often.  Although i'm happy for everyone on the site to be calling me with their whole stack with 56s thinking they have the better hand :) I'm sure i'll win one or two races along the way :) 
    Posted by POKERTREV

BOOM

and the reasons are spot on too.

56 sooted is the only hand (other than 67) that can counterfit what would normally be a chopped pot -  A2345

56 beats 67 because it is more likely to counterfit a set of Aces by hitting a straight

HandEquityWinsTies
    AA77.50%7,941,00942,648
    5s6s22.50%2,290,16742,648
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: quiz - which hand is most likely to crack AA : ooo, you on the right lines. but no
    Posted by chicknMelt
    Editted since, my second guess was pairs 66 to 99 of differing suits to the aces. eg two red nines vs two black aces.
  • edited March 2014
    I'm a little confused by the above though. It was obvious it needed to be a SC, something with 2 live cards for trips/2pr and one that didn't include cards that would overlap straights that the AA might make.....

However, while AA can't make a better straight than 56s (excluding KQJTx obv), that's true of 67s. The only wheel AA can make would have to be on 2345x and 67 beats AA there as much as 56 does...

Obv it's only a tiny % difference but I'm intrigued as to what that's made up of. I guess 56s has a blocker to AA making a straight so having it reduces the odds of AA making a straight but we don't mind it making a straight either way cos we'll ALWAYS have the better straight...
  • edited March 2014
    Yeah, makes sense, well though out Trev.
  • edited March 2014
    I'm a little confused by the above though. It was obvious it needed to be a SC, something with 2 live cards for trips/2pr and one that didn't include cards that would overlap straights that the AA might make..... However, while AA can't make a better straight than 56s (excluding KQJTx obv), that's true of 67s. The only wheel AA can make would have to be on 2345x and 67 beats AA there as much as 56 does... Obv it's only a tiny % difference but I'm intrigued as to what that's made up of. I guess 56s has a blocker to AA making a straight so having it reduces the odds of AA making a straight but we don't mind it making a straight either way cos we'll ALWAYS have the better straight...
    Posted by Lambert180
    what about the likelyhood of counterfitting a set of aces? i guess 56 is more likley than 67 and thats where the 0.03% comes from?

edit---

as trev points out below...every straight has a 5 or T in it, so its possible to hit more straights with 56 than 67, i guess that must also contribute to the 0.03%!
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: quiz - which hand is most likely to crack AA : BOOM and the reasons are spot on too. 56 sooted is the only hand (other than 67) that can counterfit what would normally be a chopped pot -  A2345 56 beats 67 because it is more likely to counterfit a set of Aces by hitting a straight Hand Equity Wins Ties AA 77.50% 7,941,009 42,648 5s6s 22.50% 2,290,167 42,648
    Posted by chicknMelt
    Wiiiiiii - Back of the net :)

I recall someone on the site saying "every straight we make has to have a 5 or a 10 in it" so this was my starting point, the rest was a little research, so unfortunately I can't profess to have known it or the reasons behind it straight away, but its certainly an interesting one.
  • edited March 2014
    The 5 in the 56s blocks 25% of the possible wheels AA can make, that's what makes the difference.

It means any two pairs or trips made by the 56 are slightly less likely to run into AA making a straight than say 67.