You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

QOTD - meaningful amounts?

edited March 2014 in Poker Chat

Sparked by a chat in the office...

When you play poker, do you play better when it's for a 'meaningful' amount of money to you. Obviously this depends on the person but, let's say for example:

- If you played £1/£2 cash and were rolled for it. Would playing 5p/10p be odd?
- If you play £20 DYMs and they sat in a 30p DYM likewise

So...

Comments

• edited March 2014
    I voted no as I try my best regardless of the stakes.
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: QOTD - meaningful amounts?:
    I voted no as I try my best regardless of the stakes.
    Posted by a00rock
    Would you even play the same strategy in a freeroll vs say a super roller?
  • edited March 2014
    I voted yes

but it doesn't have to be money, if it means something to me for any reason, I'll play my best.

If it doesnt mean anything, then I'll play more for fun. for example, a small stakes home game - I'm far more likely to run some crazy bluffs. probably against the wrong people too.
  • edited March 2014
    Absolutely yes for me, also play a lot better live than I do online.  An awful lot of it for me is that I just play  online out of habit, because it's what I do of an evening which isn't conducive to bringing your best game or having the right mental attitude.

When I consciously focus on the result being important to me (this can be regardless of stakes tbh) I play an awful lot better.
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: QOTD - meaningful amounts? : Would you even play the same strategy in a freeroll vs say a super roller?
    Posted by Sky_Poker
    No because they are two different beasts and playing your best in one requires a different strategy to the other
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: QOTD - meaningful amounts? : No because they are two different beasts and playing your best in one requires a different strategy to the other
    Posted by cenachav
    But would you put as much effort in to play your best?

Accepting that in those different games the best strategy might be different because they play differently.
  • edited March 2014
    i just unregistered from a tournament on sky poker no refund at all was given,can some1 tell me wats goin on.
         thanks
  • edited March 2014
    i unregistered from a tourney with no refund can some 1 help pls
  • edited March 2014
    Definetly yes

I can lose focus easilly, i need a big cash amount/goal to keep me motivated
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to help:
    i unregistered from a tourney with no refund can some 1 help pls
    Posted by boyla81
    did you win entry to the tournament you unregister for via a sattelite?? if so you will not be refunded you have to play the tournament, contact customer care if this is the case and they will re-enter you!!!
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: QOTD - meaningful amounts? : But would you put as much effort in to play your best? Accepting that in those different games the best strategy might be different because they play differently.
    Posted by Sky_Poker
    I always play for the win no matter if it's a freeroll or the main event :)
  • edited March 2014
    i voted no,

a couple of months ago would have been yes,

im rtying too play the same game no matter what, and for any amount, so try and keep my concentration up in all games.

although i feel more confident playing for less, where i find it can affect me for the worse, if say i sat into a main event for bigger money i feel i tightin up far too much, 
  • edited March 2014

Bricking it in a 60p DYM

After having to withdraw most of my bank roll to cover an unexpected bill. I had £30 left in my sky account. after a series of bad play by me and some bad beats I end up with a bank balance of 69p

I was determined to avoid adding to my account so I decided to try and grind my 69p up to a three figure bank roll. I have never sweated micro DYM's so much in my life, 60P, £1.15, £2.25, £3.30 up to £5.50. Every single game was important particularly in the early stages.

When the money means something to you,  It makes a hell of a difference 

• edited March 2014
    Bricking it in a 60p DYM After having to withdraw most of my bank roll to cover an unexpected bill. I had £30 left in my sky account. after a series of bad play by me and some bad beats I end up with a bank balance of 69p I was determined to avoid adding to my account so I decided to try and grind my 69p up to a three figure bank roll. I have never sweated micro DYM's so much in my life, 60P, £1.15, £2.25, £3.30 up to £5.50. Every single game was important particularly in  the early stages. When the money means something to you,  It makes a hell of a difference 
    Posted by JockBMW
    Interesting Jock - do you think you actually played better than you normally would?