You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Are bad beats really THAT bad?

edited March 2014 in Poker Chat
There's a lot of people who talk about bad beats in poker, how horrible the game is, etc etc. When you think about it, the odds in poker are actually pretty mild though. 

For instance, you're more likely to crack A-A with K-K than you are to roll a 6 first time on a dice. Even if the Aces have the suits covered too... So Ah-Ad vs Kh-Kd, etc.

You're 16.7% to roll a 6.
You're 17.4% to do the dirty with the Kings vs. Aces.

Always reminds me that a bad beat in poker isn't actually that bad, if you know what I mean.

(N.B., I know the singular of a dice is a die, btw :) /pedant)

Comments

• edited March 2014
    In Response to Are bad beats really THAT bad?:
    There's a lot of people who talk about bad beats in poker, how horrible the game is, etc etc. When you think about it, the odds in poker are actually pretty mild though.  For instance, you're more likely to crack A-A with K-K than you are to roll a 6 first time on a dice. Even if the Aces have the suits covered too... So Ah-Ad vs Kh-Kd, etc. You're 16.7% to roll a 6. You're 17.4% to do the dirty with the Kings vs. Aces. Always reminds me that a bad beat in poker isn't actually that bad, if you know what I mean. (N.B., I know the singular of a dice is a die, btw :)/pedant)
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    I think you meant #pedant?
  • edited March 2014
    I wouldn't really classify that as a "bad beat" though, just unlucky.

To me a bad beat is something that you would never ever bet money on happening, for instance having three of a kind on the flop and then your opponent making quads with the turn and river cards.
  • edited March 2014

ah, is this what is hapening with the SPTs?  now to be called SDTs.  the announcement has been delayed whilst venues are found that can hold sky dice events.

• edited March 2014
    bad beats are like 90th minute equalisers in football, or ur horse is cruising to victory and falls at the last fence, all very unfortunate and painful at the time but all part and parcel of the game in the cold light of day!!!
  • edited March 2014
    I shoved my monster 10 7 suited in a DYM yesterday and had it cracked by aces. WTF is up with that?!?!?!
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Are bad beats really THAT bad?:
    I shoved my monster 10 7 suited in a DYM yesterday and had it cracked by aces. WTF is up with that?!?!?!
    Posted by Slipwater
    That's truly awful, it's bad beats like that that make you think about giving up the game. It does throw some interesting questions like, how did he know to call with only AA, a bit suspicous there I think.
  • edited March 2014
    Posted by Slipwater
    Sounds about right for your level of play, Slippy! ;-)
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Are bad beats really THAT bad? : Sounds about right for your level of play, Slippy! ;-)
    Posted by peter27
    #sigh

;)
  • edited March 2014
    What when the KK beat AA 12 times in a row?
  • edited March 2014
    What when the KK beat AA 12 times in a row?
    Posted by Donttelmum

That'd be plain brutal. 
  • edited March 2014
    I have more success playing 6 9 offsuit than aces in the hole.
    percentages seem to be for demonstration purposes only
    Does any site actually monitor how many times they're cracked?
  • edited March 2014
    I have more success playing 6 9 offsuit than aces in the hole. percentages seem to be for demonstration purposes only Does any site actually monitor how many times they're cracked?
    Posted by cleansweep
    Is that a genuine comment, or simple sarcasm?
  • edited March 2014

Love or Hate them they are always gonna be part of the game so best just to deal with them & move onto the next hand :)
  • edited March 2014

Have always found that with bad beats people only ever quote one side of the statistics to proove their point.

For example.  

I hit my set and then he ended up hitting runner runer to a flush at xx%. Failing to note that they had been lucky enough to get a 1 in 13 hand and then hit a 1 in 7 flop.

Or my AA got cracked by a raggy hand when 90% favourite, without mentioning the fact that they had been lucky enough to a hand that occurs about 1 in 200 times.

Percentages and odds occur at all times not just when they beat is ready to occur. So to actually get a beat you have to have been lucky in the first place.
  • edited March 2014
    I think KK beating AA is somewhat of a bad beat when it only has a 19% (1 in 5) chance of actually winning.  Think about it, there's 2 more Kings with 48 cards left and only 5 of those 48 will be dealt out.  So yeah, that's a bad beat although if you're going to play poker then you have to accept it.

Here's another way of looking at it.  Let's say you decided to play russian roulette (gun with 1 live bullet) with 4 other people, first up is you, you pull the trigger and BANG you're dead! Now that's a bad beat although you wouldn't be around to moan about it :)
  • edited March 2014
    I think KK beating AA is somewhat of a bad beat when it only has a 19% (1 in 5) chance of actually winning.  Think about it, there's 2 more Kings with 48 cards left and only 5 of those 48 will be dealt out.  So yeah, that's a bad beat although if you're going to play poker then you have to accept it. Here's another way of looking at it.  Let's say you decided to play russian roulette (gun with 1 live bullet) with 4 other people, first up is you, you pull the trigger and BANG you're dead! Now that's a bad beat although you wouldn't be around to moan about it :)
    Posted by DoubleAAA
    Haha - it's kind of pointless playing Russian roulette with only four other people when traditionally a six-chamber gun is used. You may all survive. Where's the fun in that?
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Are bad beats really THAT bad? : Haha - it's kind of pointless playing Russian roulette with only four other people when traditionally a six-chamber gun is used. You may all survive. Where's the fun in that?
    Posted by Slipwater
    I forgot to mention, it's a special gun, only 5 chambers :)

A quick example...  Would any of you consider being all in with AA vs AQo on JT2r flop and losing a bad beat?
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Are bad beats really THAT bad? : I forgot to mention, it's a special gun, only 5 chambers :) A quick example...  Would any of you consider being all in with AA vs AQo on JT2r flop and losing a bad beat?
    Posted by DoubleAAA
    Considering he only has 4 outs (not including crazy running outs) then yeh it's deffo a bad beat.

And KK<AA is deffo a bad beat imo Peter. Yes either way it's a cooler but to me the definition of a bad beat is getting it in as a big favourite and being outdrawn.
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Are bad beats really THAT bad? : Considering he only has 4 outs (not including crazy running outs) then yeh it's deffo a bad beat. And KK<AA is deffo a bad beat imo Peter. Yes either way it's a cooler but to me the definition of a bad beat is getting it in as a big favourite and being outdrawn.
    Posted by Lambert180
    AA vs KK all in pf 81.94% vs 18.06%

AA vs AQo all in on JT2r  81.52% vs 18.48%

Practically identical percentages.
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Are bad beats really THAT bad? : AA vs KK all in pf 81.94% vs 18.06% AA vs AQo all in on JT2r  81.52% vs 18.48% Practically identical percentages.
    Posted by DoubleAAA
    Well yeah, and they're both bad beats :p
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Are bad beats really THAT bad? : Well yeah, and they're both bad beats :p
    Posted by Lambert180
    Haha those percentages wern't meant for you although it looked that way ;)
  • edited March 2014
    My chances of winning any tourney is about 0.1 percent, now I base my game on playing the cards which deliver bad beats ie 7,10...6.4, this gives me a 0.2 percent chance of winning big stacks versus monsters so I have now increased my chances of winning a tourney by 100percent,devilishly clever of me methinks.