You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The next Skill N Go

edited March 2014 in Poker Chat
firstly, WP SKY for the current promo. WP DOHHH too for suggesting (copy and pasting ) the idea ( i think it was you first?)

It would be interesting to see if the promo was as successful for sky as it was for the players involved... not that we'd ever be told that.

Anyway, the main point of my post is to find out what people would change if it were to run again (hopefully it does!).

for me, there is only 1 thing: make each 30 game block count as a new attempt...

what would you change if it was up to you?

and would you keep the current 1 shot only structure... The way I see it, there are arguments for both sides

MAKE EACH 30 GAME BLOCK A NEW ATTEMPT: you are at less of an advantage playing your games at the last minute, it wont effect your normal SNG/DYM grind as much, sky should do better out of it (high volume with more attempts)

KEEP IT AS IS: high volume grinders can play 30 or even 60 SNGs a day, meaning the casual rec player will have less chance of qualifying. I like the tactical side of it!

Comments

• edited March 2014
    even though its a great promotion and imo the best one for people of all stakes and volume.

i would 1+ this as i have currently played 31 games and hopefully going to finish in the top 6, but i enjoy playing sngs and am too affraid to play anymore now incase my % drops. have to wait till 1st April now before my next game. 
  • edited March 2014
    as a casual rec player, I thinks its pretty easy to complete 30 games.

I think the multiple block of 30 games and then reset or a single larger block of say 100 games would help reduce the variance and give people who have run poorly a 2nd chance.
  • edited March 2014

no to multiple entries as this would become an attraction only for high volume grinders.  you will lose everyone else's interest.  good as is.

few people with multiple entries versus many people with one entry?

• edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: The next Skill N Go:
    no to multiple entries as this would become an attraction only for high volume grinders.  you will lose everyone else's interest.  good as is. few people with multile entries versus many people with one entry?
    Posted by aussie09

This
  • edited March 2014
    Defo 30 game blocks
  • edited March 2014
    I like the idea of 30 block separate attempt
    I didn't do so well in this promo, after about 20 games I gave up
    knew I wouldn't be on the leader board. I normally play £1 to £5 six max/DYMs

1 could of donked off the other 10 or so games on the 30p DYMs and started the challenge fresh,
    with the 30 block structure
    I think this would generate more interest for the players and more money for Sky

Regards Alan 
  • edited March 2014
    no to multiple entries as this would become an attraction only for high volume grinders.  you will lose everyone else's interest.  good as is. few people with multile entries versus many people with one entry?
    Posted by aussie09
    This.Keep small players in.
    Maybe away to bank your 1st 30+ games so grinders can carry on the a monthly point grind but must have a way to un-bank if you need to up your roi.

• edited March 2014
    Personally prefer it as best 30 game streak counting. Maybe change the prizes so making the leader board wins you something.
  • edited March 2014
    yeah great idea chicknmelt 30 games block like what they do on another site and then your best block would count.

I never done great in my attempt for this promo but I think it`s been a great promo and it has got every1 involved.

I also have an idea i`m goin put together and post on forum see what others would think and if sky think be good idea maybe use in future.
  • edited March 2014
    Posted by aussie09
    Yep, this.
  • edited March 2014
    I think 30 games blocks is one way of improving the promo. You dont want to be afraid to play games after you have got a good roi in your first 30 games. So sky wins I think this is a no brainer.

I think it is evident dyms players are at a disadvantage however and being a dym player myself I think a suggestion put forward earlier by mstree if I'm not mistaken was to have 3 qualifiers from six max games and 3 from dyms. So effectively a leaderboard for both structures and top 3 from each going through.

Ger
  • edited March 2014
    Could you not run the 2 side by side? Enter a certain code for blocks, and a different code for the system as it is now. Only one code could be entered, so the sng grinders and people looking to put volume in could go for the 'blocks' prizepool, and the less rolled/people who prefer this current format can go for their prizepool.

Only 'problem' is the prizepool, unless Sky were to double it to £10k total so 5k for each. Otherwise looking at £2.5k per promo, so perhaps a payout structure of £850, £600, £450, £300, £200, £100 (or w/e), still decent sums to be had.
  • edited March 2014
    Personally I'd like to see some sort of HU sng promotion now. Under-rated format.

But if it has to be 6max again...

Make it 1 block of 75/100 +

An average of 6/7 sngs a day for a fortnight is still easy for everyone.
  • edited March 2014
    no to multiple entries as this would become an attraction only for high volume grinders.  you will lose everyone else's interest.  good as is. few people with multiple entries versus many people with one entry?
    Posted by aussie09
    People who play SNG's regularly SHOULD have an advantage. People who play cash regularly have an advantage in cash promo's, so the same should apply here. They're the ones that pay rake to sky so they're the ones that should get benefited the most out of promos. However, unlike the cash promo's even if you are allowed multiple entries in this it would still give the lower grinders a shot of winning the promo. Whereas in cash they just have no chance.

edit: and by a 'chance' i mean if we compare a v good low volume player who might have 2 entries to a v good higher volume player who has 8 entries, the higher volume player maybe has a 10% better chance of winning the promo. So the advantage is not that big at all
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: The next Skill N Go : People who play SNG's regularly SHOULD have an advantage. People who play cash regularly have an advantage in cash promo's, so the same should apply here. They're the ones that pay rake to sky so they're the ones that should get benefited the most out of promos. However, unlike the cash promo's even if you are allowed multiple entries in this it would still give the lower grinders a shot of winning the promo. Whereas in cash they just have no chance. edit: and by a 'chance' i mean if we compare a v good low volume player who might have 2 entries to a v good higher volume player who has 8 entries, the higher volume player maybe has a 10% better chance of winning the promo. So the advantage is not that big at all
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    how only 10%

surely someone who has 8 attempts has 4x the chance than someone who has 2?? i know im prob wrong and missing other factors, but id rather 8 lottery tickets to 2!! 4x the chance imo!       either way its a great promo and free money so we cant complain!
  • edited March 2014
    It's because if you play 60 games you wouldn't have 2 separate scores you'd have about 30. It's quite hard to work out how much of an advantage there would be for high volume players. Does seem like it wouldn't be that much though.
  • edited March 2014
    Maybe next time just stop the score at 30 games, don't count ROI beyond that point...

It does seem a bit daft that SNG players can be disincentivised from playing on SKY beyond their first 30 games for fear of damaging their ROI... surely any promo (from the site's POV) shouldn't be having the affect of reducing the amount a customer plays?

Either way, gg Sky and good to see anything that gets SNGs running more regularly.  Perhaps this sort of promo could run on a regular basis but with a smaller prize pool (to make it affordable)?
  • edited March 2014
    No.

It would turn Skill N Go into just another volume based promotion. The same small group of players who dominate the cash game rake races would play multiple blocks and take most, if not all, of the six seats up for grabs.

Promotions should be a mixed bag. It's been refreshing to have something that gives recreational players and newbies a chance. If all promotions are heavily weighted in favour of that <1% group of the player pool who are in contention for rake races they will do nothing for the site in the long term.
  • edited March 2014
    No. It would turn Skill N Go into just another volume based promotion. The same small group of players who dominate the cash game rake races would play multiple blocks and take most, if not all, of the six seats up for grabs. Promotions should be a mixed bag. It's been refreshing to have something that gives recreational players and newbies a chance. If all promotions are heavily weighted in favour of that <1% group of the player pool who are in contention for rake races they will do nothing for the site in the long term.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    I refer you to read my reply a bit further up. The idea of a promo is by and large to reward players who are putting in a lot of volume (and as such generating the most rake for sky) - otherwise where's their incentive to stay on sky rather than go somewhere else?

But despite this, this is a great promo (if it were altered slightly) because recreational players still have a decent chance at it (in comparison to cash rake races where they have no chance) - I really doubt it will be the same small group of players who dominate.
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: The next Skill N Go : I refer you to read my reply a bit further up. The idea of a promo is by and large to reward players who are putting in a lot of volume (and as such generating the most rake for sky) - otherwise where's their incentive to stay on sky rather than go somewhere else? But despite this, this is a great promo (if it were altered slightly) because recreational players still have a decent chance at it (in comparison to cash rake races where they have no chance) - I really doubt it will be the same small group of players who dominate.
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    I disagree.

In my opinion a good chunk of the promotional budget should also be spent attracting newbies and encouraging low volume recreational players to get more involved and try new games. A mixed strategy like this will be far better for the poker economy in the long run than giving 90%+ of the promotional budget to a small clique who are already a captive audience anyway.

Surely you're wise enough to realise that most promotional money won by newbies and losing recreational players gets recycled back into the poker economy and eventually ends up in the pockets of those at the top of the pyramid anyway?

• edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: The next Skill N Go : I disagree. In my opinion a good chunk of the promotional budget should also be spent attracting newbies and encouraging low volume recreational players to get more involved and try new games. A mixed strategy like this will be far better for the poker economy in the long run than giving 90%+ of the promotional budget to a small clique who are already a captive audience anyway. Surely you're wise enough to realise that most promotional money won by newbies and losing recreational players gets recycled back into the poker economy and eventually ends up in the pockets of those at the top of the pyramid anyway?
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    Couldn't agree more Gary
    Well said fella
  • edited March 2014
    Well said Gary. Things are looking very tight at the top of this promo now good luck to everyone involved.....Im rooting for you Waooga!

Ger
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: The next Skill N Go : I disagree. In my opinion a good chunk of the promotional budget should also be spent attracting newbies and encouraging low volume recreational players to get more involved and try new games. A mixed strategy like this will be far better for the poker economy in the long run than giving 90%+ of the promotional budget to a small clique who are already a captive audience anyway. Surely you're wise enough to realise that most promotional money won by newbies and losing recreational players gets recycled back into the poker economy and eventually ends up in the pockets of those at the top of the pyramid anyway?
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    Look I don't disagree that low volume and rec players should be targeted in these promotions AS WELL. But there needs to be at least some incentive for the reg's to stick to sky and partcipate in the promo's otherwise they'll be lost to other sites - they're a captive audience atm because right now sky do cater their promotions towards them. Also, there's no guarantee that the money from the low stakes grinders will get recycled back into the poker economy anyway - suppose a low stakes player wins this sNg challenge. There's a good chance they'll then withdraw most, if not all of it and carry on playing low stakes, depositing maybe £20 a month that they always do. Sure, they'll continue to play on the site but they probably would w/o winning the promo - 

Sure, it's possible a degen wins and then donates it off playing cash. But it won't be evenly distributed back to all the regs - only those lucky enough to encounter them at w/e stakes they play.

If this promotion was changed to what chicknmelt suggested it would still give low stakes players plenty of oppertunity, it would just give bigger grinders a slightly better chance (assuming an equal skill set)

edit: Something else quite important that I forgot to mention: Rec's are not the only ones that 'benefit' from this promo. Plenty of reg's that no longer play much on sky can come take advantage of these promo's as and when they choose. The money they win is not going back into the poker economy either. (not on sky anyway)

• edited March 2014

Well, it now sounds like you're beginning to agree with me.

I suggested that "promotions should be a mixed bag", ie some should reward high-volume grinders and encourage them to be loyal to Sky, while others should be targetted at attracting newbies and retaining low to mid volume break-even and losing players.

You initially said "the idea of a promo is by and large to reward players who are putting in a lot of volume".

At no point did I suggest that no promotions ever should favour the regs, I just think the budget should be shared around a bit. There should be a promotion to suit every type of player at some point. It would be a big mistake to throw all money at one small group.

A site that has only regs left will be a site that dies, there needs to be a balance.

• edited March 2014
    My original wording wasn't very good. Basically I think all promo's should try and be aimed at both. As opposed to some promo's being aimed at regs where as others are solely aimed at rec players. For example I don't like the standard cash points race where only the most high volume players get rewarded and whereby rec players get absolutely nothing.

However, I do like this promotion "with a few tweaks" so that there is incentive for reg's to carry on playing but also an incentive for rec's to give the promotion a go. 

The new ipad Air promotion also seems a reasonably good idea - anyone can win one, but the higher stakes grinders have more of a chance.