You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Shove or Fold?

edited March 2014 in The Poker Clinic
PrevClose windowNext

Hi folks, 1st time posting on the clinic but I figure it's probably the best way to improve my game.
Early on in the 3k BH last night, I'd freerolled in and was looking to take a couple of heads if nothing else.
Should I have gone with this?
I think maybe I should but I bottles it tbh.

Thanks all

Comments

• edited March 2014
    Stupid cut and paste. Well, blinds 10/20, I raised in cut off to 60 with 10 9 clubs, blinds both call. 
    Flop K6T 2 clubs, small blind leads straight out 120, BB raises to 400, should I shove or fold?
  • edited March 2014
    Trivial fold in the 1st level of a MTT for me.

If you get it all in against 1 opponent the best case scenario is that he has only a king,
    in which case its a flip

If its against a set (66 for example) you're only 30%

Against a NFD + overs  - you're 44%, pretty unlikely though

In the face of a donk bet and hefty raise you probably have no fold equity (even deep)
    as sets and NFD isnt folding with this action i expect.

Fold and wait for a better opportunity in the levels to come.
  • edited March 2014
    Thanks for the feedback. If the raise wasn't made by the bb, do you think it's a call or raise? Also, at what point does it become a shove, when I've got 10bb, 15bb, more, less?
  • edited March 2014
    you'd probably get better advice from other players but,

I'd say without the raise its only a call cos you dont want to reopen the betting with this hand.
    Reasess on turn. Probably go for value if you improve to a flush or trips.
    Pot odds decision if you're drawing still.

If you had 10-15bb its a pre flop shove or fold.

Dependent on opponents I'd be more inlcined to shove the closer I got to 10bb

• edited March 2014
  • edited March 2014
    Cheers folks, I did fold but as I'd got in for free it was awful tempting to go with it
  • edited March 2014

Yeah it is a fold. Well in theory.

Gonna come down to what mood you're (I'm) in. If you've just sat down and want to be in this for the long haul then it's a clear fold. If however you fancy a spin up, with the potential of taking a head or 2 early doors, and giving you a v large stack to splash about with from the first level, then go for it. Certainly won't be drawing dead whatever cards the villains might have. Whisper this, but you could even have the best hand ;)

• edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Shove or Fold?:
    Yeah it is a fold. Well in theory. Gonna come down to what mood you're (I'm) in. If you've just sat down and want to be in this for the long haul then it's a clear fold. If however you fancy a spin up, with the potential of taking a head or 2 early doors, and giving you a v large stack to splash about with from the first level, then go for it. Certainly won't be drawing dead whatever cards the villains might have. Whisper this, but you could even have the best hand ;)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Thanks again, good to get another opinion on this. This is the way my instinct was telling me to go, free rolled, chance to get a couple of heads maybe. But my sensible side took over thinking "I don't want to go out this early, let's stick around" which I did for another 20 mins or so! Looking back, I think if I'd paid good money I would be cautious, next time it's free rolling I'll be more brave / suicidal.