You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

bad beats

edited March 2014 in Poker Chat
so i was in the 30k roller last night 50 people left 30 paid and im 25th at that point... i have kwq spades i raise all fold bb calls. flop qclub 6club q diamond.. i bet pot to protect hand bb instantly goes all in.. i call he has q4.. river 4. last month in 20k roller i had 2 pair beat by a better 2 pair on river. Am i jixed or what needless to say i hate poker at minute. guy who had q4 went on to win 1700.. GRRRR

Comments

• edited March 2014
    LAST WEEK ON 20K ROLLER THAT MEANT
  • edited March 2014

i am sure that wasn't me.  although earlier you did type in the chatbox, "twxt" 

you might imagine how sorry i am to hear of your bad beat.

• edited March 2014
    A bad beat is having a pair of 6s, raising pre, and having only one caller, and then rainbow-flopping 7 6 K, followed by a continuation bet of around three-quarters pot, and then having the other guy shove 20k (which is about seven times the pot), after which I call and he turns over AK.

Turn A.

River A.

Gimme the odds on that? :)

Happened to me last night, midway in the Roller.
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: bad beats:
    i am sure that wasn't me.  although earlier you did type in the chatbox, "twxt"  you might imagine how sorry i am to hear of your bad beat.
    Posted by aussie09[/QUOTE LOL
  • edited March 2014
    I feel your pain :( did he win much?
  • edited March 2014
    this guy didnt even think im sat there with a q betting almost pot size and thinks his q4 is ahead somehow... im not betting pot without a q there. terrible play playing q4 in first place lol
  • edited March 2014
    They are pretty standard exit spots in the mid to late stages of a tournament. in 99% of tournaments you are going to go out at some point and a large portion of them will be due to bad beats. If you get annoyed at one of the fundimental parts of the game probably best not to play and instead find a hobby that brings you more happiness.
  • edited March 2014
    this guy didnt even think im sat there with a q betting almost pot size and thinks his q4 is ahead somehow... im not betting pot without a q there. terrible play playing q4 in first place lol
    Posted by upaymenow
    i wouldnt think you had a queen either betting full pot, it looks like u want a fold rather than value. im not excusing his call pre flop, its pretty bad but when he hits trips u cant expect him to fold.
  • edited March 2014
    Posted by upaymenow
    I was on your table and it was a nasty beat..but I don't think many can fold trip queens there,even with a four kicker..
    Plus it was macmonster......and he never misses!..;)
  • edited March 2014
    but there was a flush draw on flop... so im protecting my hand there? not going to bet small so a flush can hit?
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: bad beats : I was on your table and it was a nasty beat..but I don't think many can fold trip queens there,even with a four kicker.. Plus it was macmonster......and he never misses!..;)
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    i had to think about calling his shove with kq thinking has he got aq or 66? but if he had that he would of re raised me with aq before hand.. but he instantly shoved with q4. 
  • edited March 2014
    They are pretty standard exit spots in the mid to late stages of a tournament. in 99% of tournaments you are going to go out at some point and a large portion of them will be due to bad beats. If you get annoyed at one of the fundimental parts of the game probably best not to play and instead find a hobby that brings you more happiness.
    Posted by jordz16
    thanks for the advice but i like poker, i think anyone would be annoyed though it was big money???
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: bad beats : I was on your table and it was a nasty beat..but I don't think many can fold trip queens there,even with a four kicker.. Plus it was macmonster......and he never misses!..;)
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    does macmonster work for sky poker by anychance lol
  • edited March 2014
    but there was a flush draw on flop... so im protecting my hand there? not going to bet small so a flush can hit?
    Posted by upaymenow
    So do you want all flush draws to fold?
    Do you want to win anymore chips in this hand?
    If you only ever do a pot sized c bet there with a queen , why are you telling the table you have a queen?
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: bad beats : thanks for the advice but i like poker, i think anyone would be annoyed though it was big money???
    Posted by upaymenow

if you are happy with how YOU played your hand then there is no need to get annoyed?? if you play well over time you will win money so i wouldnt worry.. if other people play badly then don't let that annoy you, just realise that over time you will make money off of them, although the way it was played it sounds like the money was always going in.
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: bad beats : i had to think about calling his shove with kq thinking has he got aq or 66? but if he had that he would of re raised me with aq before hand.. but he instantly shoved with q4. 
    Posted by upaymenow
    We've had a cooler, a suck out, and now a slowroll all in 1 hand :)

Not many people are going to defend their big blind with Q4 then fold on QQx

there's always next week. ul
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: bad beats : So do you want all flush draws to fold? Do you want to win anymore chips in this hand? If you only ever do a pot sized c bet there with a queen , why are you telling the table you have a queen?
    Posted by jonjo75
    Of course I want flush draw to fold so I dont get sucked out of trips???
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to bad beats:
    so i was in the 30k roller last night 50 people left 30 paid and im 25th at that point... i have kwq spades i raise all fold bb calls. flop qclub 6club q diamond.. i bet pot to protect hand bb instantly goes all in.. i call he has q4.. river 4. last month in 20k roller i had 2 pair beat by a better 2 pair on river. Am i jixed or what needless to say i hate poker at minute. guy who had q4 went on to win 1700.. GRRRR
    Posted by upaymenow
    standard. move to bbv.

I can beat your one slippy!... about a week ago this happened:

Raise JJ, called in one spot
    cbet a J23 rainbow flop
    villain shoves, i snap
    they show 77
    turn 7
    river 7

you just have to laugh some times.
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: bad beats : Of course I want flush draw to fold so I dont get sucked out of trips???
    Posted by upaymenow

you never want a flush draw to fold otherwise you wont win any chips. you just have to be prepared to aceept he will get there 30-40% of the time, and even then you could hit a full house and stack them!
  • edited March 2014
    Is it even that bad a call if, say:

Hero is on button and has been min-raising 100% of unopened pots and, say, cbetting once and then giving up / not c-betting when missed / giving up when c-bet is re-raised etc...

So BB decides to take a stand with a plan to float flop and then take the pot down on turn / river on innocuous looking boards or check-raise and take down on flop...

Turns out BB get lucky (they think) and flop trips which means they always want to go all in - then get super lucky by housing up and outdrawing bigger trips.

Poker is a cruel game, this is why I play more cash than tournaments as these things don't really hurt when you can just reload and go again.
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: bad beats : Of course I want flush draw to fold so I dont get sucked out of trips???
    Posted by upaymenow

In this case you are 75% to win against any random flush draw. I want the flush draws in and I want all their chips.
  • edited March 2014
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    Never EVER try and raise Ian's (macmonsters) big blind its poker suicide :)
  • edited March 2014
    Posted by upaymenow
    There is approx 5% chance your opponent has a FD on any flop with 2 of the same suit...

i know I would play it differently

having said that, you were obv unlucky
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to bad beats : standard. move to bbv. I can beat your one slippy!... about a week ago this happened: Raise JJ, called in one spot cbet a J23 rainbow flop villain shoves, i snap they show 77 turn 7 river 7 you just have to laugh some times.
    Posted by chicknMelt
    #lol

Ouch.
  • edited March 2014
    Posted by upaymenow
    so basically what ur saying is im going to bet big because i dont want to have to make difficult decisions on a further streets if a danger card comes down?  this is not a good thought process. also just because 2 cards of the same suit comedown on the flop that dosent mean they have a flush draw every time, more often than not ur trips will have ur opponent crushed like they did on this occasion so u want to take him to value town not blow him off his hand by potting it.

p.s i wish i had exited the mega roller threw a bad beat last night, i just tilted my stack away in 40 mins like a donkey!!!
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: bad beats : you never want a flush draw to fold otherwise you wont win any chips. you just have to be prepared to aceept he will get there 30-40% of the time, and even then you could hit a full house and stack them!
    Posted by jordz16
    Ok well he wasnt taking any chances either he shoved 40k into a 15 k flop 1000/2000 blinds...
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: bad beats : Ok well he wasnt taking any chances either he shoved 40k into a 15 k flop 1000/2000 blinds...
    Posted by upaymenow

maybe he was trying to price you out of a flush draw :P
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: bad beats : Never EVER try and raise Ian's (macmonsters) big blind its poker suicide :)
    Posted by robert369
    Very true
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: bad beats : maybe he was trying to price you out of a flush draw :P
    Posted by chicknMelt
    Lol maybe... If I were him id be re raising to see where my q4 is at before shoving my entire stack in with a poo kicker
  • edited March 2014
    Is it even that bad a call if, say: Hero is on button and has been min-raising 100% of unopened pots and, say, cbetting once and then giving up / not c-betting when missed / giving up when c-bet is re-raised etc... So BB decides to take a stand with a plan to float flop and then take the pot down on turn / river on innocuous looking boards or check-raise and take down on flop... Turns out BB get lucky (they think) and flop trips which means they always want to go all in - then get super lucky by housing up and outdrawing bigger trips. Poker is a cruel game, this is why I play more cash than tournaments as these things don't really hurt when you can just reload and go again.
    Posted by shakinaces
    I was utg notbon button lol