You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

MattBates V Slipwater...

edited April 2014 in Poker Chat
How short are the odds on MattBates winning this?

Comments

• edited April 2014
    April Fool? Perhaps so...

Rules:

1) We both register for the same three tournaments every night in April.
    2) The same tournament cannot be a part of this contest two nights in a row.
    3) The player to go deeper in each tournament receives one point.
    4) A bonus point is awarded for an outright tournament victory.
    5) If one of us busts first in a tournament, a bonus point is awarded to the other guy.

AprilMattBatesSlipwater Daily PointsTotal PointsDaily PointsTotal Points1          2          2          1          12          2          4           2          33          2          6          1          44    5    6    7    8    9    10    11    12    13    14    15    16    17    18    19    20    21    22    23    24    25    26    27    28    29    30    
    AprilTournaments19.30pm BH (295)10.15pm BH (65)10.30pm Speed BH (51) MattBates - 255thMattBates - 10thMattBates - 24th Slipwater - 129thSlipwater - 23rdSlipwater - 41st28pm Main (312)8.30pm Mini (211)9pm BH (78) MattBates - 84thMattBates - 9thMattBates - 78th Slipwater - 161stSlipwater - 122ndSlipwater - 43rd37.30pm Deep (32)8.15pm BH (166)9.30pm BH (342) Mattbates - 30thMattBates - 18thMattBates - 66th Slipwater - 8thSlipwater - 153rdSlipwater - 104th
    * number of runners in brackets
  • edited March 2014
    What odds can I get on Matt winning everyday?  ;)
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: MattBates V Slipwater...:
    What odds can I get on Matt winning everyday?  ;)
    Posted by gazza127
    Well I can add another column so that it's easier to see who wins each day ;)
  • edited March 2014
    News Flash

Slipwater has been seen outside Mattbates house trying to cut the telephone cable so the broadband will be cut.
  • edited March 2014
    think slipwater ain`t going get destroyed the way this challenge has been set up imo.

yeah think profit, final tables and wins matt I think would win he`s a machine but it`s who lasts the longest in mtts which I know slip is a good solid player so think this will be a close one.

but tbh it`s all a bit of fun, nothing to do with matt sucking out on slip months ago he defo over that by now :)
  • edited March 2014
    think slipwater ain`t going get destroyed the way this challenge has been set up imo. yeah think profit, final tables and wins matt I think would win he`s a machine but it`s who lasts the longest in mtts which I know slip is a good solid player so think this will be a close one. but tbh it`s all a bit of fun, nothing to do with matt sucking out on slip months ago he defo over that by now :)
    Posted by liamboi11
    Er, yeah... definitely.

It, ah, never crosses my mind.
  • edited April 2014
    Revamped the table for tonight, although Mr. Bates is currently in absentia...
  • edited April 2014

Day 1 in the skypoker house!

The 3 games are 

9.30 £11bh
    10.15 £22bh
    10.30 £55bh speed

Best of luck slip!

• edited April 2014
    Day 1 in the skypoker house! The 3 games are  9.30 £11bh 10.15 £22bh 10.30 £55bh speed Best of luck slip!
    Posted by MattBates
    Ok man - will see you there - good luck to you too mate :)

...trust you to pick the MattBates Invitational on Day One!
  • edited April 2014
    Day One started well, with Matt busting early from the 9.30pm Bounty Hunter, leaving me with a pretty healthy, top five chipstack... only to blow it all when I decided to make a move with 56d on a two diamond flop. I didn't improve.

MattBates - 0: Slipwater - 1

I got off to a good start in the 10.30pm Speed Bounty Hunter, and was quickly in the top three stacks, until Matt raised pre-flop and I called with pocket 3s. The flop was 10 K 3. He put in a regular continuation bet and I just called. Turn was an ace. He bet again and I raised, which he called. River was another ace. He shoved and I thought about how good my full house was for longer than I would have with anyone else... and then called. He turned over A10 and I was out... and now I need a new laptop. Looking back, I probably should have raised the flop. Sigh.

MattBates - 1: Slipwater - 1

The 10.15pm Bounty Hunter never got going for me. My stack dwindled down to about nine big blinds at one point, and then I shoved with KJ suited, and was called in two spots. And on a board of xKJJK I tripled up... not that it did me much good because I never found another good spot to play and - after a table move - was out while MattBates sat across from me crossing his little pudgy fingers.

MattBates - 2: Slipwater - 1
  • edited April 2014
    Tonights lucky 3 will be

Main £11r
    Mini £5.50R
    9pm £55bh
  • edited April 2014
    Going for a double on the £55BH Matt?
  • edited April 2014
    Posted by Sir-Gary
    Thought it would be rude not to!

WP last night, gl tonight...especially if you are on Slip's tables!
  • edited April 2014
    Posted by Sir-Gary
    Gary, you are hereby excused from further commentary... :)
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: MattBates V Slipwater... : Gary, you are hereby excused from further commentary... :)
    Posted by Slipwater
     Ooops!
    What I mean is Matt has little chance as this time he has Slips to beat
  • edited April 2014
    Well, Day Two was pretty terrible. I didn't get anything going in the Main Event, and then I actually forgot to pick up my add-on because I was too busy watching Dexter and my laptop didn't remind me! After that I was really struggling, because most of my table had bully-sized stacks. I never saw Matt, but that's just as well because he would have laughed.

MattBates - 1: Slipwater - 0

The Mini Event wasn't much better, in fact, it wasn't any better at all. I had a series of bad flips, rebought about 83 times, and when I finally lost my AK all-in to AJ I threw in the towel and didn't bother with another rebuy. I left the tournament in a huff before the add-on even kicked in!

MattBates - 2: Slipwater - 0

The 9pm Bounty Hunter is an event I enjoy. I haven't played it for a while, but it's got a decent starting stack and a good structure. Mr Bates helped me out here by busting first in the tournament, thus awarding me a bonus point, which I needed. So, pressure off, I was going along quite well for about an hour, until I found A10s on a two-spade 10-high board and couldn't get my chips in fast enough! Problem was, the other guy had a set of two, improved to a full house, and I was out! Good game me.

MattBates - 2: Slipwater - 2
  • edited April 2014
    Tonights 3

7.30 £22 deep
    8.15 £11bh
    9.30 £11bh
  • edited April 2014
    Tonights 3 7.30 £22 deep 8.15 £11bh 9.30 £11bh
    Posted by MattBates
    Good stuff :)
  • edited April 2014
    I was glad Bates chose the 7.30pm Deepstack tournament for tonight as I usually do pretty well in it, and after a slow start where I kept bleeding chips for no good reason, I was chip leader with about 15 players left. Bates had blown his stack a while before so I wasn't concerned about him anymore... but I made a stupid call for two-thirds of my stack with second pair and after that I couldn't pull it back. Out a few before the money. Shame, because this one was definitely my fault.

MattBates - 0: Slipwater - 1

I made a massive error in the 8.15pm Bounty Hunter. Early doors, the pot had been min-raised and called in every position, so I decided to do the same with my pocket jacks, rather than raising as I almost always would. The flop was low and all spades. I didn't have a spade. It was checked round to me and I decided to shove at this point, thinking I may get a call from someone with a single high spade. No, I got called by the guy with K3 of spades, and I was on life support after that... Bates ran deep, but we don't care about that.

MattBates - 1: Slipwater - 1

The 9.30pm Bounty Hunter went along quite well, for a while. I took a couple of bounties and was cruising along nicely, before a couple of suck-outs knocked me back into shove or fold territory. When I picked up pocket kings with 12 bigs left I thought this was a good chance for a double up, except I was called by pocket sevens, and the 7 on the flop put an end to my game.

MattBates - 2: Slipwater - 1
  • edited April 2014
    I may have missed it in the rules but why is Bates picking the comps?

They seem to have a high ABI, so he's playing to his strengths where he can make people fold.

I want to see you both play DTD on Monday, see how the great man gets on trying to win every hand in those tournaments ;)
  • edited April 2014
    I may have missed it in the rules but why is Bates picking the comps? They seem to have a high ABI, so he's playing to his strengths where he can make people fold. I want to see you both play DTD on Monday, see how the great man gets on trying to win every hand in those tournaments ;)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I just decided to give Bates the choice (primarily so I have a built-in excuse if I fall way behind in points). Other than that, I didn't want to interrupt his evening grind. I don't have a set routine, poker-wise, but he probably does. I didn't think it was fair for my little bragging contest to steer him away from that :)

I do usually play the DTD on Mondays... maybe he will throw that in as one of the entries next week... ;)
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: MattBates V Slipwater... : I just decided to give Bates the choice (primarily so I have a built-in excuse if I fall way behind in points). Other than that, I didn't want to interrupt his evening grind. I don't have a set routine, poker-wise, but he probably does. I didn't think it was fair for my little bragging contest to steer him away from that :) I do usually play the DTD on Mondays... maybe he will throw that in as one of the entries next week... ;)
    Posted by Slipwater
    Ah, that makes sense.

He's been saying for ages how he'd love to give the DTD a try, but has never gotten round to it. This seems like a perfect opportunity to do so :)

Good luck tonight.
  • edited April 2014
    tonight we have

Main
    Mini
    9pm £55bh
  • edited April 2014
    No update for Friday night?

As I am posting late have gone for some late ones tonight

9.30 £11bh
    10.15 £22bh
    10.30 £55bh speed
  • edited April 2014
    Sorry about this, Matt - sent you a PM yesterday.