You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Rivered a low flush

edited April 2014 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Sammysox Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £5.06
Swog Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £12.56
  Your hole cards

habbin Fold     
darren Call  £0.10 £0.25 £4.36
lordgee12 Fold     
Sammysox Call  £0.05 £0.30 £5.01
Swog Check     
Flop

Sammysox Bet  £0.20 £0.50 £4.81
Swog Call  £0.20 £0.70 £12.36
darren Call  £0.20 £0.90 £4.16
Turn

Sammysox Bet  £0.10 £1.00 £4.71
Swog Call  £0.10 £1.10 £12.26
darren Raise  £0.40 £1.50 £3.76
Sammysox Call  £0.30 £1.80 £4.41
Swog Call  £0.30 £2.10 £11.96
River

Sammysox Bet  £0.30 £2.40 £4.11
Swog
Would you raise the river with a low flush, knowing you lose to any full house and greater flush, if so how much would you raise?

Comments

• edited April 2014
    lol 20,10,30

Yep defo raise
  • edited April 2014
    1.65 easy as u like. puke if they raise back 
  • edited April 2014
    If darren had raised larger on the turn then I might be a bit more fearful, but not worried about sammy here and with such a small turn bet (maybe something like A7), it has to be a raise.

Probably doesn't need to be too huge as I'm not sure people will pay a massive bet with worse, but no reason for not popping it to £2 ish and hoping to get 2 callers (no raisers).
  • edited April 2014
    I don't think there's much value in raising the river here. Villain 1 has thrown 30p into a pot of £2.10, so it's likely he spots the flush - doesn't have anything that good - and won't pay off a raise.
  • edited April 2014

Raise to 1.80ish.

Fold if anyone 3-bets river. 

• edited April 2014
    yeah I think we can raise fold in this spot between £1.50-£2ish
  • edited April 2014
    Yes I raised to £1.60 ish and got called by a Queen high flush, glad everyone was thinking along the same lines.
  • edited April 2014
    I would fold flop and turn after it gets raised too. We have only a T high flush draw on a paired board which is just a recipe for disaster. We're not getting the odds to hit the flush and we are lacking in implied odds because most of the time we will get action if we hit we will find we are behind to either a better flush or a full house (so we often have reverse implied odds) - It's easy to think to yourself "it's only 20p" but imagine if the pot was £1 on the flop and the flop bet was 70p? Now it doesn't look as tempting to chase the flush.

20p into a total pot of 70p means we need 28.5% equity to hit on the next card. We'll only hit the next card around 19% of the time which means folding is correct. Sometimes it's fine to chase because of implied odds but as I mentioned we have more reverse implied odds (RIO) so this is why we shouldn't chase. On the turn it's 30p into £1.80 so we are getting good odds because we only need to win 16% of the time for the call to be correct and we will hit the river 20% of the time. However, RIO still applies here and even more so because of the other player in the hand which could be chasing a better flush draw. If it was only HU I would be more inclined to call the 30p raise because there is less chance that if we hit the river we will still be behind. But even then folding might still be better.

As played, it seems tempting to raise when the bet is so small. But you can see now with your tough river decision why earlier streets were mis-played. With a T high flush here it seems close - 9 high or lower I probably just flat but I think with 10 high we are just about strong enough to raise here. Obv fold if someone comes over the top again tho.