You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Tournament bankrolls...

edited April 2014 in Poker Chat
Hello there i was wondering how much u need as a bankroll for tournaments to stay on form? i usually play cash but love the tournaments here. I usually have 40-50 buyins on cash games...
Thanks in advance

Comments

• edited April 2014
    Idealy you would want about 40 buyins but you could go less for BH's as you can recieve back your buyin (or close to it) with taking a couple of heads.
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Tournament bankrolls...:
    Idealy you would want about 40 buyins but you could go less for BH's as you can recieve back your buyin (or close to it) with taking a couple of heads.
    Posted by CraigSG1
    Thanks Craig, i do tend to go for the satalites first anyway. BH are my favourites too. Just wondered what kind of roll id need to buy in direcly. GL :)
  • edited April 2014

People talk about 100 bi's.

The sat's are quite good, £2 for the £11 mtts, or 6/7£ for the main event Sats.

Was thinking this the other day myself, i was playing on Sunday night and lost £25, which isn't a lot, but it was really tilting a few hours with nothing to show for it lol

Must be hard a run like that while playing mtts. Maybe more than a 100bi's are needed?

• edited April 2014
    People talk about 100 bi's. The sat's are quite good, £2 for the £11 mtts, or 6/7£ for the main event Sats. Was thinking this the other day myself, i was playing on Sunday night and lost £25, which isn't a lot, but it was really tilting a few hours with nothing to show for it lol Must be hard a run like that while playing mtts. Maybe more than a 100bi's are needed?
    Posted by LARSON7
     Thanks LARSON  at the minute im playing cash for a bit winning the money to pay into tournaments at night time lol. wonder how long it will last for. Ill let you know how it goes lol
  • edited April 2014
    I'd never play a tournament without at least having 100 buy ins 

if you are happy to gamble and prepared to reload then take a shot with 40-50-60 buy ins etc, but if you are keen to build a long term bankroll then 100 buy ins is definitely the sensible option
  • edited April 2014
    I'd never play a tournament without at least having 100 buy ins  if you are happy to gamble and prepared to reload then take a shot with 40-50-60 buy ins etc, but if you are keen to build a long term bankroll then 100 buy ins is definitely the sensible option
    Posted by jordz16
    Thanks ill keep that in mind 
  • edited April 2014
    Posted by CraigSG1
    really??? im a winning tournament player and i have dropped 40 buy ins on many occasion. good way to go bust if you ask me, 75-100 buy ins minimum in my opinion.
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Tournament bankrolls... : really??? im a winning tournament player and i have dropped 40 buy ins on many occasion. good way to go bust if you ask me, 75-100 buy ins minimum in my opinion.
    Posted by THEROCK573
    I've done 80 BI's a couple of times in the last yr... and I had a pretty good yr!

100 min for me. I like to keep about 250 in my account, so that when I have a downswing I dont feel the pressure so much.
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Tournament bankrolls... : I've done 80 BI's a couple of times in the last yr... and I had a pretty good yr! 100 min for me. I like to keep about 250 in my account, so that when I have a downswing I dont feel the pressure so much.
    Posted by chicknMelt
    i dont doubt it mate, i think its pretty standard to be honest in tourneys unless were just very inconsitent, haha
  • edited April 2014
    You also have to factor in how many tables you're playing and the size of the fields.  The more tables that you play, the more BI's will be needed.  Same goes for the field size, the larger the field, the more buy ins will be needed.
  • edited April 2014
    Thanks for the advice all :-) 
  • edited April 2014
    You also have to factor in how many tables you're playing and the size of the fields.  The more tables that you play, the more BI's will be needed.  Same goes for the field size, the larger the field, the more buy ins will be needed.
    Posted by DoubleAAA
    size of the fields i agree with but your still playing the same amount of tournies whether ur one tabling or 12 tabling just over a different length of time to complete so the amount of buy ins should remain the same in my opinion.
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Tournament bankrolls... : I've done 80 BI's a couple of times in the last yr... and I had a pretty good yr! 100 min for me. I like to keep about 250 in my account, so that when I have a downswing I dont feel the pressure so much.
    Posted by chicknMelt
    Thanks chicken :-) Do you sat your way or just buy in directly? or am i being too nosey. Handy to know how u guys do it
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Tournament bankrolls... : really??? im a winning tournament player and i have dropped 40 buy ins on many occasion. good way to go bust if you ask me, 75-100 buy ins minimum in my opinion.
    Posted by THEROCK573
    It's worked for me. I've never gone broke. I probably should have mention it's all BH's and the fields are relatively small. If your playing in big fields then yes, 100 sounds fine. 

But with 100 BIs I think you can throw in a bigger buyin every now and then to take a shot. Not a huge one, say double your normal BI. 
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Tournament bankrolls... : It's worked for me. I've never gone broke. I probably should have mention it's all BH's and the fields are relatively small. If your playing in big fields then yes, 100 sounds fine.  But with 100 BIs I think you can throw in a bigger buyin every now and then to take a shot. Not a huge one, say double your normal BI. 
    Posted by CraigSG1
    ok fair play to ya i still think its risky though, i think its all about the stake you play aswell, im pretty sure ive played upaymenow in the mains and 9pm events on here so 40 buy ins would bust me doing that for sure
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Tournament bankrolls... : ok fair play to ya i still think its risky though, i think its all about the stake you play aswell, im pretty sure ive played upaymenow in the mains and 9pm events on here so 40 buy ins would bust me doing that for sure
    Posted by THEROCK573
    Ive been pretty lucky and won seats through satalites only brought in directly a few times 
  • edited April 2014
    and when ive brought in its been money won on cash that day. Just seeing how u roll for tournaments only
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Tournament bankrolls... : ok fair play to ya i still think its risky though, i think its all about the stake you play aswell, im pretty sure ive played upaymenow in the mains and 9pm events on here so 40 buy ins would bust me doing that for sure
    Posted by THEROCK573
    If I was playing mains and bigger buying then yes you would need more. But I guess I'm also being site specific here. Relatively small player base.  You would def need more on other sites where fields are often 5 figures. 
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Tournament bankrolls... : Thanks chicken :-) Do you sat your way or just buy in directly? or am i being too nosey. Handy to know how u guys do it
    Posted by upaymenow

one thing to note - the 100BI is your average buy in. so say I had £2k in my account, I would play a mixture of £11, £22, £33 and £55 tourneys so that the average worked out around £20.

i dont mind sharing... no secrets to hide lol.

I do play sats, but my success in them doesn't decide whether I play the bigger event or not - I just play the sats for extra moneys :)

the sats are generally great value, so are worth playing anyway if you have room to play the extra tables.

• edited April 2014
    Well i checked my stats and my average buyins arounf 10$ but only played a couple of months on sky and only last few weeks on tourneys really. so think ill have to wait a bit for the right amount. Thanks again
  • edited April 2014
    £10 i meant lol
  • edited April 2014
    I'm happy to have 30/40 buyins but then again only play mainly 5 quid games with the odd 2130 thrown in. Banked a few Hundred quid this year so happy ;')
  • edited April 2014

hey, upaymenow.  i see that you are fairly new but you won''t get many friends if you continue to abuse people in the chatbox.  four letter words are not allowed and when you lose leave the table with some dignity.  staying to berate people is poor form.

• edited April 2014

Hand History #764023851 (12:15 06/04/2014)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    upaymenow Small blind   10.00 10.00 1990.00
    aussie09 Big blind   20.00 30.00 1980.00
    sapper5117 Sit out        
      Your hole cards
    • Q

daiw Fold        
    upaymenow Raise   70.00 100.00 1920.00
    aussie09 Call   60.00 160.00 1920.00
    Flop

• K
    • A

upaymenow Bet   80.00 240.00 1840.00
    aussie09 Call   80.00 320.00 1840.00
    Turn

• J

upaymenow Bet   240.00 560.00 1600.00
    aussie09 Call   240.00 800.00 1600.00
    River

upaymenow Bet   600.00 1400.00 1000.00
    aussie09 All-in   1600.00 3000.00 0.00
    upaymenow All-in   1000.00 4000.00 0.00
    upaymenow Show
    • A
    • K

aussie09 Show
    • Q

aussie09 Win Straight to the Ace 4000.00   4000.00
  • edited April 2014

so why did you get so abusive? 

• edited April 2014
    so why did you get so abusive? 
    Posted by aussie09
    Why are you continuing this? you hit and chase gutshots everytime versus me can be annoying at the time.
  • edited April 2014
    Why take it so personally. I've been called names on here but im a big girl now and don't take it personally
  • edited April 2014
    I've seen alot worse then what i said i never swore. So get over it
  • edited April 2014
    You making friends again aussie ;)