You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Tough River decision for 150bb

edited April 2014 in The Poker Clinic
This was on the NL10 Mastercash table, I'd recently doubled through villain. In the previous hand he 3b my 4x open with JJ and then got it in with me on an all spade queen high flop with a flush draw & pair, I've also seen him bet pot size on the river with a big hand.

So this hand...
The lead on the turn had me suspicious and the plan was just to call him down, should I maybe have raised him on the turn? I thought raising would only promote action from a hand that had me beat so I flat called to keep his worse hands in. Now I was praying for a paired board on the river, but it never came and I was faced with a tank shove. Meh. I won't reveal what decision I decided to take, but hopefully I can raise some interesting opinions and feedback.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
ness4 Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £19.95
Donttelmum Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £25.81
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • A

Villain Raise  £0.40 £0.55 £22.35
Infamous Fold     
coolnat Fold     
Swog Raise  £1.50 £2.05 £36.40
ness4 Fold     
Donttelmum Fold     
Villain  Call  £1.10 £3.15 £21.25
Flop

• A

Villain  Check     
Swog Bet  £2.30 £5.45 £34.10
Villain Call  £2.30 £7.75 £18.95
Turn

• Q

Villain  Bet  £4.00 £11.75 £14.95
Swog Call  £4.00 £15.75 £30.10
River

Villain  All-in  £14.95 £30.70 £0.00
Swog

Comments

• edited April 2014
    flat turn call river imo. top set is just too strong to fold v a rage id give here. looks alot like QcXx or QxXc to me. 
  • edited April 2014

Any idea of the villain's range for opening UTG and flatting your 3-bet OOP?

Can't actually think of many combo's of Kcx that are gonna flat pre OOP and then take this line. I assume AxKc / KcQx are gonna c/c flop and turn given the positions. Think KcJx will fold pre the majority of the time.

If you think villain is capable of turning Qc combos into bluffs here is obv a lot closer.

In game, considering we have recently stacked him I probably call river. (As his range may be wider...)

Any more info you have on the villain would be helpful...

• edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Tough River decision for 150bb:
    Any idea of the villain's range for opening UTG and flatting your 3-bet OOP? Can't actually think of many combo's of Kcx that are gonna flat pre OOP and then take this line. I assume AxKc / KcQx are gonna c/c flop and turn given the positions. Think KcJx will fold pre the majority of the time. If you think villain is capable of turning Qc combos into bluffs here is obv a lot closer. In game, considering we have recently stacked him I probably call river. (As his range may be wider...) Any more info you have on the villain would be helpful...
    Posted by 77Chris91
    Youd be amazed v some villains. losts of hands, i think most likely are worse sets, and QcXx or QxXc combos. I wouldnt be scared of too many flushes or 34. 
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Tough River decision for 150bb:
    Any idea of the villain's range for opening UTG and flatting your 3-bet OOP? Can't actually think of many combo's of Kcx that are gonna flat pre OOP and then take this line. I assume AxKc / KcQx are gonna c/c flop and turn given the positions. Think KcJx will fold pre the majority of the time. If you think villain is capable of turning Qc combos into bluffs here is obv a lot closer. In game, considering we have recently stacked him I probably call river. (As his range may be wider...) Any more info you have on the villain would be helpful...
    Posted by 77Chris91

Not sure, He multitables if this helps? I did say he 3b JJ to my 4x UTG open, so I assume he'd be 4betting AK,AA,KK,QQ

• edited April 2014
    I suppose this is one of those situations where if you call turn you have to call river, as it hasn't changed anything from the turn + he could well be shoving a busted flush draw (if you've seen him do that rather than only ever show up with the goods).

Horrible set-up though. I had an almost exact same hand last night but thankfully for me a 4th club came on the river and spared me the remainder of my stack.  Dunno if it was the same oppo but he showed cards to me and had flopped the flush and played it the same way as above.

Perhaps you've checked lots of turns vs villain and he thought he may lose value to see it go c/c on turn, figured there'd be more chance of getting paid by a pair of aces or maybe even KcK KQ sort of hands by leading.
  • edited April 2014
    Looks like either a hand like aq (probs with a club) or a smaller set. If you know what type of hands he likes to call 3bets with oop that helps. Many players here may call a 3bet with big aces or pockets. If he's really bad then add some suited cons in the mix. C/C flop sounds like an ace, high club or set as they may be scared of raising on a mono board. Lead tu looks like an improved hand like aq. If you call turn and plan to fold if he barrells river why? surely that's just burning money as you don't really have the odds to call hoping for a boat. If you don't put him on a flopped flush then shoving the turn is a viable option as you have then effective 2nd nuts as he should never have a str8 here.
  • edited April 2014
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

I called, he turned out to have the nut flush and slowplayed me on the flop. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't spewing money. Any advice on how i could have played that hand any better? Maybe shove the turn?
  • edited April 2014
    Kc and ?c. Make notes that he calls 3bets oop with these types of hands, traps flopped nuts and donks turn and river and exploit him relentlessy:)
  • edited April 2014
    Hand is fine, I think there is a decent argument for raising turn though