You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

beating the fish?

hi, been playin the cash tables and can't get on top of it, typical hand this morning, 4 handed i'm on the button 3 players bet the bb i raise it up 3x with a10, all players call the raise, the flop is 3 6 j, all check round to me so i bet half the pot, 2 fold 1 calls, the turn is a 7 the player checks, i again bet half the pot, he calls, the river is another 7 he checks i check he's got 87 and hit the trips to win but how could he call the bet on the flop with absolutely nothin? could i have played it differently? this has happened maybe a dozen times in the last week an cost me some proper cash! help!

Comments

• edited December 2009
    this has happened maybe a dozen times in the last week an cost me some proper cash! help!

erm, wait till you have a hand to bet, if u put money in with air a dozen times you are going to be called...
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: beating the fish?:
    this has happened maybe a dozen times in the last week an cost me some proper cash! help! erm, wait till you have a hand to bet, if u put money in with air a dozen times you are going to be called...
    Posted by rats107
     are you sayin i shouldn't have called or raised with A 10 on the button?
  • edited December 2009
    Once he calls your bet, he probably has something, seen as you have Ace high you should slow down on turn and try and catch an ace or ten on river.

He was wrong to call on the flop and probably on turn as you could have Jack, but overtime you'll be in profit against this calling.
  • edited December 2009
    nope, good play pre flop, but you say youve been called down 12 times, still put in a continuation bet but be prepared to slow down after that. 
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to beating the fish?:
    hi, been playin the cash tables and can't get on top of it, typical hand this morning, 4 handed i'm on the button 3 players bet the bb i raise it up 3x with a10, all players call the raise, the flop is 3 6 j, all check round to me so i bet half the pot, 2 fold 1 calls, the turn is a 7 the player checks, i again bet half the pot, he calls, the river is another 7 he checks i check he's got 87 and hit the trips to win but how could he call the bet on the flop with absolutely nothin? could i have played it differently? this has happened maybe a dozen times in the last week an cost me some proper cash! help!
    Posted by burtyboy
    I think at the lower levels, the c-bet, certainly in multi-way pots should be used more sparingly. People call far more readily, so I'd play tighter, minimise the bluffing (you are effectively bluffing here) and overbet big hands
  • edited January 2010
    nope, good play pre flop, but you say youve been called down 12 times, still put in a continuation bet but be prepared to slow down after that. 
    Posted by rats107
    what i mean to say is maybe 12 times i've had the best hand on the flop either hit a pair or what ever but because i play 5p 10p tables the initial pot is only 50-60p most times, i put a pot size bet in and i've still got called, the caller then hits his cards and i loose, is there a case over betting the pot just to clear the table even though i don't win a great deal? small amounts eventually make large amounts?
    got to be honest i'm totally baffled by it all, i've sat after the hand and tried to find some reasoning behind the call, obviously sometimes my oponent will have hit bottom pair or have the flush draw but some of them where they've hit nothing i just can't understand.
  • edited January 2010

Don't get carried away trying to win the pot!

U cud lost 9 pots in a row, win the tenth, and end up making money!

U are right to raise the button with ace ten. Making the next bet is optional, you don't have to, but it isn't a bad play. What I'd say though is, dont bet half the pot, a strong pot sized bet will be more effective. Might cost you more, but if people keep calling you, the money you lose making C bets that get called, will be re-couped when your making the C bet with a strong hand! - Make the same bet when you hit (top pair, 2 pair, set etc), as when you miss.

Don't worry about laying the hand down - the guy has limped pre, called ur raise pre, check called the flop, check called the turn, and checked the river. - Thats 7 times hes acted and 7 times hes shown no strength at all, so theres no need to fear these guys, they aren't gonna keep you awake at night, it seems the only money you're gonna lose is the money you put in the pot volenterally.

Play strong hands, play them strongly, if you wanna get involved with the ten jacks, 67's etc, play them on the button, and just limp, but same applies, if you hit, bet! - Coz by the look of it, these guys just can't fold!

Keep it simple, and GL - DOHH
  • edited January 2010
      How to beat the fish? When we say fish in this situation we are talking about people who call against the odds hoping to hit miracle cards. When they do hit them we remember them all because they hurt us badly but we forget all the times when they dont and we take down the pot. They will also call down light on the river because they cant let go of 4th pair, i have even seen some bluff calling with air.

People at the lower stake levels tend to play loose passive, seeing lots of flops hoping to hit big, they will only make a play for the pot when they do hit big though.I have always found it is best to bet according to your hand strength. Bet if you have something and not if you dont. Bluffing doesnt tend to work against these players because they give no consideration to what you might have only what they have.

There is no way of guaruteeing to win against these players in the short term but there is in the long term. If you keep taking the odds away from them they will lose overall, if you keep betting strong with your big hands they will pay you off. The only way you can do this is to play good solid but unexciting poker. Also to have the correct bankroll to be able to take the bad hits when they inevitably arrive.

Good luck at the tables
  • edited January 2010

At low stake levels you need to adjust your play. You were absolutely right to raise from the button but you need to be aware that at low stakes you will be called by a wide range of starting hands.

Continuation bets need to be massive to push people off the off pots at this level. Having played a lot at low levels I have stopped making continuation bets. Experience has taught me that you need to treat hands like A10 as drawing hands - if you miss the flop do not bet as many at this level will also check the flop. The turn & river are just as likely to improve your hand as they are your opponents. When they do you can bet and will get paid off.

Good luck   

• edited January 2010
    thanks very much for all the advice, i shall take it to the table and see how it goes
  • edited January 2010
    My advice would be this don't bluff on 5p-10p (£10nl) tables, it might take alot of discipline and be boring but you will beat the games, people are just beggin to throw their cash at you theirs so many easier spots than bluffing at this level, give it a try.
  • edited January 2010

Missed the flop 4 handed. I check behind. Hand is worth Zip. Agree with James.
    xx

• edited January 2010
    You mean a double runner runner draw to the straight? He actually had nothing. The flop is J-6-3 he has 7-8 the only way he can hit a straight is if the turn brings a 4 and the river a 5 or if the turn brings a 10 and the river a 9.

If the flop was 10-6-4 he would have a double belly buster.
  • edited January 2010
    You mean a double runner runner draw to the straight? He actually had nothing. The flop is J-6-3 he has 7-8 the only way he can hit a straight is if the turn brings a 4 and the river a 5 or if the turn brings a 10 and the river a 9. If the flop was 10-6-4 he would have a double belly buster.
    Posted by lJAMESl
    Er...it was a joke mate. By "double gutshot" I meant the 9T to make the 7...J
  • edited January 2010
    Ooooooooohhh! Thought you'd been drinking mate and come on here and posted after a few jars :-D
  • edited January 2010
    Ooooooooohhh! Thought you'd been drinking mate and come on here and posted after a few jars :-D
    Posted by lJAMESl
    Usually that would be right! I drink like a fish.