You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

poker headaches

edited April 2014 in Poker Chat
been suffering from an ongoing headache for 2 weeks now, went hospital to get checked out tuesday because i was concerned as id had a serious fall from a 10 foot drop on my head while out on the drink around 4 months ago and i stupidly discharged my self from hospital against the advice of the doctor, i got the all clear anyway although no scan was done but i forgot to mention to the doctor that i spend a lot of time playing poker and looking at a computer screen. does anybody else suffer from headaches threw playing to much poker and could this be why ive had a headache for going on 2 week now?

Comments

• edited April 2014
    In Response to poker headaches:
    been suffering from an ongoing headache for 2 weeks now, went hospital to get checked out tuesday because i was concerned as id had a serious fall from a 10 foot drop on my head while out on the drink around 4 months ago and i stupidly discharged my self from hospital against the advice of the doctor, i got the all clear anyway although no scan was done but i forgot to mention to the doctor that i spend a lot of time playing poker and looking at a computer screen. does anybody else suffer from headaches threw playing to much poker and could this be why ive had a headache for going on 2 week now?
    Posted by THEROCK573
    Hard to say if it's poker, mate.

I work with a computer screen all day (as do a lot of people on here, I imagine) so it's difficult to distinguish the strain associated with the online poker and that you could attribute to a regular desk job. Of course, if you don't have a desk job, then yeah, it could well be the poker.

Or lack of coffee.

I sometimes get caffeine withdrawals.
  • edited April 2014
    Yes, have a break and go for a walk.  

Ever had the tennis elbow from poker? Now, theres an injury!
  • edited April 2014
    Might be something to do with your eyes, you might need to wear glasses while on the computer.
  • edited April 2014
    Yes mate and I bet I don't spend nearly as much time glued to the screen as you. 1st port of call is to get down your local optician and have your eyes checked as constant pokerin can damage your eyesight this happened to me! Make sure your getting enough sleep lack of sleep can cause headaches. I assume your blood pressure is ok bud another cause which you learn as you get older :o(. Failling these get down your GPs and tell them Bud.
  • edited April 2014
    Yes get your eyesight checked. Out of interest when I got a new pair of varifocals shortly after joining Sky the optician made slight adjustments to my prescription to suit looking at a monitor after establishing the height and distance of the screen.
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: poker headaches:
    Might be something to do with your eyes, you might need to wear glasses while on the computer.
    Posted by BigHawk89
    Agreed, i used to get bad heedaches and a trip to the opticians sorted that out. I was about 46 before i needed specs but i cannot do without them now.
  • edited April 2014
    Dont forget dehydration is a big cause of headaches.

Drink lots of water .... not beer whilst playing.
  • edited April 2014
    Try f:lux.

It changes the colour temp of your screen very gradually to match your lighting and the time of day. Helps maintain sleep oatterns.

• edited April 2014
    i was getting headaches in my sleep(weird i know) doc put it down to RES told me to get my eyes checked,the headaches have gone but i never did have my eyes checked so i dont know what was causing it.
    i will get them checked ive noticed that the screen is getting blurry.
    if i were you mate i do what the folks say above and get them checked out
  • edited April 2014
    cheers for the advice everyone, ive never even considered getting my eyes tested as my vision long and short is perfectly fine but i suppose its an option if my head dosent sort itself out.
  • edited April 2014
    cheers for the advice everyone, ive never even considered getting my eyes tested as my vision long and short is perfectly fine but i suppose its an option if my head dosent sort itself out.
    Posted by THEROCK573
    Hi Rock

I had a similar thing a while back. I work in IT so I am at a PC for long periods. Doc said my computer screen and Chair were at the incorrect height giving me eye strain which caused head aches.

Make sure that the monitor and chair is at the correct height.

My Monitor was far too low so I put some books underneath to bump it up a bit. Now don't get headaches when in work.
  • edited April 2014
    Posted by THEROCK573
    How did this happen?

It explains a lot of your boxing bets ;)

Awesome thread title for an 'alternative' poker diary, spin it into 1 !
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to poker headaches : How did this happen? It explains a lot of your boxing bets ;)Awesome thread title for an 'alternative' poker diary, spin it into 1 !
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    +1

Not sure it will be around too long. Can't see Rock toeing the line for too long but would be great while it lasts. :)

A couple of questions to kick this off.

Rocks best drinking story?
    Rocks biggest spin up?
    Rocks thoughts on how he might deal with someone if they slowrolled him when he was playing live?
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: poker headaches : +1 Not sure it will be around too long. Can't see Rock toeing the line for too long but would be great while it lasts. :) A couple of questions to kick this off. Rocks best drinking story? Rocks biggest spin up? Rocks thoughts on how he might deal with someone if they slowrolled him when he was playing live?
    Posted by Jac35
    You trying to get him banned lol
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: poker headaches : You trying to get him banned lol
    Posted by VespaPX
    Definitely not! We need people like Rock on the forum. People can get way too serious.

I just thought that he might explain to us that he would probably buy the chap a beer during the break and ask him not to do it again. Well, something like that anyway :)
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: poker headaches : Definitely not! We need people like Rock on the forum. People can get way too serious. I just thought that he might explain to us that he would probably buy the chap a beer during the break and ask him not to do it again. Well, something like that anyway :)
    Posted by Jac35
    +1
  • edited April 2014
    I haven't been on this site for 2 years and find i have 4975 points I can only see a 10 point game in the lobby what can i do with them any help?
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to poker headaches : How did this happen? It explains a lot of your boxing bets ;) Awesome thread title for an 'alternative' poker diary, spin it into 1 !
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    i went out on the drink, nightclub closed, ended up going back to a house party, we were up in the converted loft drinking, went outside onto the balcony which didnt have a rail for a slash insted of going and using the downstairs toilette, dont know how ive fell off it because i only remeber being in the hospital later on that night but my mate who found me unconcieous said it was a big drop and im lucky to be alive.

im on fire with the boxing lately mate by the way, dont let a couple of bad bets fool you, haha
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: poker headaches : +1 Not sure it will be around too long. Can't see Rock toeing the line for too long but would be great while it lasts. :) A couple of questions to kick this off. Rocks best drinking story? Rocks biggest spin up? Rocks thoughts on how he might deal with someone if they slowrolled him when he was playing live?
    Posted by Jac35
    best drinking story? well i have many but lots of them will make me not look very good on here, if uve seen the film human traffic my life was a bit like that from the age of 18 to 24 but ive calmed down a lot now, poker has helped to be honest with that. i did manage to get myself on a itv a few years back being arrested which was quite funny unless ur me or my parents who watched it, haha

best spin up? nothing to nuts, nearly went bust and had £7.50 in my account, played a sat into the then £1000 gtd freeze out £33 buy in, won it for £500 then same night took a shot at the 5k roller on a thurs for £110 and won it for £1800, never looked back since.

how id respond to being slowrolled live? well according to chillie who i played the otha day i think im a hardman because of what i post on the forum, i dont think im anything but i take no noncence and i would probably chin somebody if they done that to me if im honest ( outside on the carpark of course :-)

as far as a diary goes maybe sometime in the near future, haha
  • edited April 2014
    Just as it was getting interesting

Keep it going Rock
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: poker headaches : Hi Rock I had a similar thing a while back. I work in IT so I am at a PC for long periods. Doc said my computer screen and Chair were at the incorrect height giving me eye strain which caused head aches. Make sure that the monitor and chair is at the correct height. My Monitor was far too low so I put some books underneath to bump it up a bit. Now don't get headaches when in work.
    Posted by stuarty117
    i have a belter chair mate, cost me £275 so it should be really, its one of them reclyning chairs so i have it tilted right back with my feet on a footrest so im allways looking up to the screen so that could maybe be a problem.
  • edited April 2014
    Posted by THEROCK573
    There was already a post in the "feedback" area on the problem skys new layout causes some people, me being one of them.... it was titled "ONLY PLAYED A HANDFUL OF GAMES ON HERE BUT"  and dated 25/12/13.. you might find it useful
  • edited April 2014
    Try f:lux. It changes the colour temp of your screen very gradually to match your lighting and the time of day. Helps maintain sleep oatterns. http://justgetflux.com/
    Posted by TeddyBloat

This is great . . .i used to get headaches a lot when playing for long periods. . This made a big difference, at nighttime it changes the very harsh light to a much more subtle light on the screen. V easy to download.
  • edited April 2014
    If it is eye related a trip to your local opticains should sort it out. There are usually half price or free eye exam vouchers floating areoud online.

If you are approaching 40 and have always had perfect eyesight your near vision maybe beginning to fail. WHen we look at things that are close the muscles that hold the lense of the eye in place tighten to refocus the lense close at we get older this muscles become weaker meaning that out eye cannot focus properly hensce why everyone eventually needs reading glasses.

Computers fall under what is classed as intermediate distance alot meaning that these muscles tighten abit but not as fully as to read something close. This muscle can become fatigued like any other muscle though and this is what leads to eyestrain/headaches. Its fairly simple to fix if vision is the problem you can get a cheap pair of specs just for the computer which allow you to view this distance without the mucles having to work.

If you think you are getting conned and you don't need glasess (alot of opticains do this) PM me your prescription and i will take a look for you. I should clarify i am not an optomitrist but i did work in an opticains for 2years and 1 day a week and a nhs eye surgury clinic so i know the basics

As stated previous regualr headaches 1st port of call will be the opticains most GPs will tell you to go there 1st before they will try anything else anyway.
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: poker headaches :  This is great . . .i used to get headaches a lot when playing for long periods. . This made a big difference, at nighttime it changes the very harsh light to a much more subtle light on the screen. V easy to download.
    Posted by seadragon
    downloading this wont bug my computer up will it? ive just had the thing fixed.