You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

National question........

edited April 2014 in Poker Chat

Good morning.

What are you backing, & why have you chosen that/those horses?

Good luck, whatever you are on.

Comments

• edited April 2014
    Ive gone for Battle Group at 40-1 ew bet just because I like the name and I have seen others mention it that know a little more than me about horses. gl all.

You having a bet Tikay?
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: National question........:
    Ive gone for Battle Group at 40-1 ew bet just because I like the name and I have seen others mention it that know a little more than me about horses. gl all. You having a bet Tikay?
    Posted by a00rock
    Good luck with Battle Group Mr Rock.

Me? I'm not sure I will, to be honest. Mr Channing will be giving me his views later, & so I might have a small interest, but in truth, it's not a race I personally much enjoy betting on, or even watching.

I did think teaforthree ran a nice quiet prep race in the Gold Cup, but his price is way too short for my liking.

The last big bet I had on the National was on Alverton, in 1979, & that ended all rather badly, for me, &, very sadly, for the horse. On a happier note, only 2 weeks earlier, I had been at Cheltenham, & seen Alverton win, albeit rather luckily, the Gold Cup, so at least the horse went to horse heaven with a nice CV. 

Here's Alverton (Jonjo) in his moment of glory, rather fortunately beating Tied Cottage (Carberry).....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAxfhaccjOM

That evokes some memories, I can tell you.

• edited April 2014
    Teaforthree for me is the standout - a win is a win, regardless of the short price.
  • edited April 2014
    I have a very scientific way of picking my national horses. 

Several years ago (too many years) I lost my mother, in her lifetime she bet on one horse race a year, the national. She always bet horses with 11 letters/characters in their name but only 50p each way. Since she died I have always bet on just this race every year and only on horses with 11 letters in their name.

I know this sounds strange but I have only made a loss in one year so it works.

So no idea what will win but I have bet the horses with 11 letters each way ..... all 9 of them.... and I will enjoy the race and hope to continue my profitable run.

Bit long winded that wasn't it, sorry :)
  • edited April 2014
    Not in the national but go for Wilde Blue Yonder in the first race of the day.
  • edited April 2014
    Channing's video via Sporting Bet on Twitter/YouTube is well worth a watch. Neil gives his 'stinky seven' of which he guarantees will not win the National!
  • edited April 2014
    ive done too many
  • edited April 2014
    Burton port is the horse to be on,a friend i know was with martin pipe the other night at a fuction do,he dont even own the horse but tips him up,there was suggestion this horse has run bad on his last few runs on purpose aimed for the national,ill be on e/w and hope the sourse holds up.
  • edited April 2014
    I've taken the totally random line as I know nothing about the horseys - Buckers Bridge @ 100/1.
    Did it a few years ago with (can't remember the exact name) Neptune something or other (@40/1) and won lots. It was a photo-finish... quite a nervey few minutes!

Good luck everyone!

• edited April 2014
    Does anyone know if a reverse forecast bet would count towards the £5 free bet club? Ie is it like an accumulator? Never done one before...! thanks
  • edited April 2014
    Rainbow Hunter, Each Way for me.
    I don't know anything about horse racing, but it's my horse in the sweepstake, so I have decided to back him too.
    Also a small £1 EW on Vesper Bell, because I was playing on tables with VespaPX yesterday!
  • edited April 2014
    Does anyone know if a reverse forecast bet would count towards the £5 free bet club? Ie is it like an accumulator? Never done one before...! thanks
    Posted by mrsduck
    It's not an accumulator and wouldn't count for the free bet club.  It's a bet for two horses to finish first and second in either order
  • edited April 2014
    I've had a few small bets but my biggest hope is for Double Seven, got on at 25-1 before the news McCoy was going to ride him came out.
  • edited April 2014
    As a Liverpool fan, I'm on Walkon
  • edited April 2014
    Rainbow Hunter, Each Way for me. I don't know anything about horse racing, but it's my horse in the sweepstake, so I have decided to back him too. Also a small £1 EW on Vesper Bell, because I was playing on tables with VespaPX yesterday!
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Haha
    Guess i'll be owing u a quid then!
    GL
  • edited April 2014
    Not in the national but go for Wilde Blue Yonder in the first race of the day.
    Posted by gerardirl
    Thats the last time i take your advice ! :-)
  • edited April 2014
    As a Liverpool fan, I'm on Walkon
    Posted by cenachav
    I'm not a Liverpool fan but I've drawn Walkon in the office sweepstake, so I'm with you on this one.
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: National question........ : Thats the last time i take your advice ! :-)
    Posted by VespaPX
    I nearly lost too, but was talked out of betting as odds too little to go EW apparently. I'm too much of a wuss to bet on the win only!
    If Vesper wins I'll buy you 5lb of sausages.
  • edited April 2014

Rocky Creek @ 16/1 – Eldest Daughters choice, Liked the name

Monbeg Dude @ 16/1 – My choice, chosen because of a post on the sky Tuesday show forum and tabloid tip article and that my Missus had already chosen Rainbow Hunter 

Shakalakaboomboom @ 33/1 – Youngest Daughters choice, Liked the name

The Rainbow Hunter @ 25/1 – Missus, Reading Tabloid tips

Don’t think either of my 2 offspring will be choosing science as a profession…

• edited April 2014
    Back the same amount each way on each of the following:

- Prince du Beauchene
    - Alvarado
    - Chance du Roy

..and I'd say you stand a decent chance of being in profit at the end of the day.

Double 7 looked good as well, but the odds have shorted too much now for it to be a good value bet. They were 30-1 on Tuesday!

• edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: National question........ : Haha Guess i'll be owing u a quid then! GL
    Posted by VespaPX
    If they were playing you then they will of got more then a quid off you already mate :)
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: National question........ : If they were playing you then they will of got more then a quid off you already mate :)
    Posted by cenachav
    Not far off there :-)
  • edited April 2014
    Back the same amount each way on each of the following: - Prince du Beauchene - Alvarado - Chance du Roy ..and I'd say you stand a decent chance of being in profit at the end of the day. Double 7 looked good as well, but the odds have shorted too much now for it to be a good value bet. They were 30-1 on Tuesday!
    Posted by PokerNoon
    2 of the top 4 there...not bad if I do say so myself.
  • edited April 2014
    I have a very scientific way of picking my national horses.  Several years ago (too many years) I lost my mother, in her lifetime she bet on one horse race a year, the national. She always bet horses with 11 letters/characters in their name but only 50p each way. Since she died I have always bet on just this race every year and only on horses with 11 letters in their name. I know this sounds strange but I have only made a loss in one year so it works. So no idea what will win but I have bet the horses with 11 letters each way ..... all 9 of them.... and I will enjoy the race and hope to continue my profitable run. Bit long winded that wasn't it, sorry :)
    Posted by MacMonster
    If I read it right thats 1st and 3rd place - Will make a note for next year :)

EDIT: I can't count...3rd place...