You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Live Poker vs Online - The Differences

edited April 2014 in Poker Chat
So I hijacked Gazza's blog earlier with the following question:

"I've played in 3 live tourneys now and not done much in any. I just can't figure out how to play them. Last night for example, there was people reraising with hands like J5o.

Normally if there's raising action before me and I'm holding K10 for example, I'll probably muck it. Especially given that it's usually 9 handed rather than 6 max like we have on sky, I play a bit tighter. But seeing the cards people turn over at showdown, it looks like K10 is a monster in comparison to the junk some people will play.

How do you approach these games - just because they are willing to play terrible hands doesn't mean they aren't holding a massive hand. 

I've tried the 'play tight and wait til you have a reasonable hand' approach, but I just haven't been dealt anything particularly good. I then find myself low on chips due to the blinds increasing and having to shove. 

Do I have to find more bluff spots, or are perhaps my playing hand requirements too tight? Or is just that I've not played enough live games and perhaps I've just not had the luck of the draw with regards to the hands I've been dealt?"

What does everyone think about this? I went about half an hour last night without even being dealt a picture card...would people here still be getting involved regardless or waiting and hoping for something half decent?

I just keep seeming to get dealt junk, then find myself in shove or fold territory. However I don't want to be one of the many folks who just sits and complains about not being dealt AA every other hand - I want to be able to collect chips without necessarily needing a great hand.