You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

END of GaryLaud's BR Challenge - What Next for me?

edited April 2014 in Poker Chat
And so, my bankroll challenge was over. I'd set myself the target of getting back above the £5 I'd won in a FR in early march by playing/cashing in 30p DYM's and MTT's. This clearly hasn't worked as I'm now down to 20p and insufficient balance to play anymore.

Im now thinking of making that first deposit!

What I would like to ask now is the following Question:
Do I
1) Continue with previous strategy playing DYM's and MTT's
2) Play the cash tables, starting at the basic 2p/4p blind levels
3) Try something completely different.

Your views please?

Comments

• edited April 2014
    Stick to the the 30p DYMs if you just want to play for recreation. You'll get a fun game that lasts quite a while for a very cheap price. A small deposit should last quite a long time and you'll get a lot of entertainment for a very low cost.  

If you're going to try and make a profit then play anything but the 30p DYMs because the rake is just about unbeatable. In the highly unlikely scenario that you're miles better than enybody else at that level and could make a consistant ROI of 10% (almost impossible given the rake), you'd make a mere 3 pence per game.

I don't play cash, but I'd imagine 2p/4p cash games are more beatable than 30p DYMs. However you'll need to put more money on the line and are therefore much more likely to go broke quickly.

You won't be able to play freerolls forever because your poker points will run out.

Good luck whatever you decide. Don't get too hung-up on trying to make a profit. If you enjoy the games does it really matter if you have to put a few quid in every now and then? Most other hobbies would be far more expensive.
  • edited April 2014
    If you are generally comfortable with the DYMs and can afford the money to have a proper crack at them, I'd say you should try and beat the £3.30 level - follow in the footsteps of Peter's diary.

When the rake is less onerous they are definitely beatable and gives you a chance of running up a decent roll.

NL4 could also work, but sounds like you've not played cash before - therefore it may require a slightly bigger amount of deposits to allow for the likely short-term losses as you learn the different dynamics of the game... although obviously you may well run golden to start with and earn a little cushion against the inevitable mistakes we all make as we learn a new discipline!

And obviously continue with all the freerolls as you are bound to keep binking the occasional few pence/pounds to help things along.

GL whichever route you pick.
  • edited April 2014
    firstly play the format you enjoy the most then secondly try and beat it. quite simple really, best of luck!!!
  • edited April 2014
    search me ina tournament... hope to sit on my table shove all in on a 10% chance to win v me and your sorted :) lol.  Sorry to hear your challenge is over and i hope you suceed in your next! good luck
  • edited April 2014
    cash is harder to beat than DYM'S in my opinion, having played both.
    if you like DYM's then i'd deposit £50 and play the £1 level to start off with.
    get my b/r up to £60 or so then go for the £2 games.(if your b/r drops to below the £50, which it could, go back to the £1 games again).
    then i would give myself my next target, £100 then move up to £3.. (which is where you want to be, if only for the 10% rake)
    this should be possible for you to do, i've done it, but you need good discipline with your bankroll management, and never ever stray from it)
    you could go straight to the £2's or even £3's with your £50, but you don't leave much room for losing, so that's why i'd start at the £1 level).
    good luck whatever you decide.
    dev

• edited April 2014

Depending on your BR you may like to try the 7-45pm Deepstack Buy in £1-10 for that u get 5000 chips with 12 min blinds great way of getting into poker gl 
  • edited April 2014
    try and get away from the 30p dyms it is almost impossible too beat the rake over a long period of time un less your really good..but most of all as others have said only play games you enjoy and are comfartble with and can afford too lose in also if its your 1st deposit im sure sky match it and then u will get the 1st depositors freeroll as well which seems like quite a soft tourney when its on and then there is the dtds and so on anyway good luck in your games churchy
  • edited April 2014
    Thanks ever so much for your comments and support you guys, means alot. 

Budget
    Firstly, I am on a limited budget, and the figures quoted by Devonfish about depositing £50 is simply miles beyond my capabilities at present. I would say that I am a recreational poker player and are also unwilling to commit to figures which I feel are "Big Budget", and echo the thought's of another member who said about just depositing the odd amount here & there (and it being cheaper than other Hobbies)

Regarding the Hobby comment, the other thing I suppose, is a small desposit on here will probably last me alot longer than if say EG I was to say go & play live down my local (IE Sit & Pay the buy-in) I doubt I would last too long and would probably regret spending what to me is alot of money for just a few minues entertainment, which I would get around two months of fun out of SKY Poker Online spending the same! 

DYMs
    I have found that although difficult to accept the bad beats, and that they are costly in terms of the rake, I'm getting alot of thrills and excitement from playing the DYM's. 

These kind of S&G are quite quick to play thanks to the turbo format and the standard of poker is both excitng and fun to play, Has been given me alot of Enjoyment over the past month and also something to escape into take my mind off alot of the personal issues I have in life at present!

I purposely picked the 30p one's as they are very cheap, additionally I found I quickly began to get the hang of them and enjoyed some early success, which gave me alot of confidence - Alas, this has also been destoryed by the bad run I had this weekend and the early part of mother's day weekend too.

Cash
    I attempted the cash tables on a couple of occasions and quickly began to lose so I left the table - I would love to try them but I dont think my game is sufficient standard to attempt playing these just yet, even despite the 2p/4p format.

MTT Suggestions
    I just might consider entering into that Deep-stack MTT (I will have to top-up my balance first) I have previously eyed up the £2.20 one before, but jointly when I did get thinking about them I didn't want to risk a Large chunk of my budget at the time being worried that I felt my poker standard would mean I wouldn't cash (I Haven't as yet cashed in ANY of the MTT's i've played except the £500 newbie's freeroll which had a very generous structure indeed).

My Thought's on my Poker Standard
    I know that I am indeed a Half-Decent poker player, decent long runs in MTT's at the end of March prooves this as well as multiple cashes in DYM's - however what I do feel I need, is the practice. 

There ARE play-money tables here at Sky Poker but they quite often play completely different here because of thier very nature of that there is no risk involved some of the players who frequent these (Esp at the higher levels, tend to play a complete mix of hands, making them totally unrealistic to hone my skills on).

Conclusion
    I know I'm already booked into the Turbo Open tomorrow (Tuesday) night, thanks to a free seat from Mr Orford, and I still have sufficient poker points to play at least one daily 10pt F/R for around the next 2.5-3 weeks or so. I think by the time these points have begun to run dry, I'll have some sort of feel on where I want to progress my Sky Poker career from Here.

Another, Encouraging thing SKY has, Is something very unique - a forum with alot of friendly & supportive members/people who have taken alot of time to offer friendly and constructive advice.

We also have a TV Channel with brilliant presenters who have had not a bad word to say about anyway (Yes they tease, but nothing else)

I have not a bad-word to say about Sky Poker and it's membership but feel I just need to reflect on where I personally go from here and I what I want from my membership.

Thank You Guys
    Much Love

NB:- Dont think Im leaving by my closing paragraph, because I'm not! I'm just having a massive reality check on all aspects of life at present.

• edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: END of GaryLaud's BR Challenge - What Next for me?:
    Stick to the the 30p DYMs if you just want to play for recreation. You'll get a fun game that lasts quite a while for a very cheap price. A small deposit should last quite a long time and you'll get a lot of entertainment for a very low cost.   If you're going to try and make a profit then play anything but the 30p DYMs because the rake is just about unbeatable. In the highly unlikely scenario that you're miles better than enybody else at that level and could make a consistant ROI of 10% (almost impossible given the rake), you'd make a mere 3 pence per game. I don't play cash, but I'd imagine 2p/4p cash games are more beatable than 30p DYMs. However you'll need to put more money on the line and are therefore much more likely to go broke quickly. You won't be able to play freerolls forever because your poker points will run out. Good luck whatever you decide. Don't get too hung-up on trying to make a profit. If you enjoy the games does it really matter if you have to put a few quid in every now and then? Most other hobbies would be far more expensive.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    +1 to this

Deposit what you can afford and keep building the points for the freerolls its pointless going to a higher level until you are at least comfortable/winnig at the 30p level.
  • edited April 2014
    I'm not sure why you have not put this as an option but why not try normal Sng's? I think they start at 55p and these offer a great way of practicing all forms of poker.

You start off deep so this can improve cash play and teach you how to hand select, read opponents which can help you play early stages of MTT's.

You then progress to the mid stages where you learn to play shallower stacks, position, aggression, bubble play and looking for spots to accumulate chips without neccasarily the best hand. Again all helpful towards MTT play.

Then the later stages of even shallower stacks, super aggressive play and heads up experiance and just as important the ability to get that winning feeling.

I started out playing 10 seater Sng's and these helped enormously towards improving my game. 6 seater's will help you even more as by there nature you have to be more active.

What ever you do, good luck.