You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What is skypoker going to do about bumhunters?

edited April 2014 in Poker Chat
Almost every other site has taken steps, what are skypoker's plans?

Comments

• edited April 2014

Been discussed to death many times before.

And do you really expect Sky to come on here and say 'yes we're gonna do this, this and this'?

• edited April 2014
    im sure if there is bumhunters about sky will be keeping they,re ar*e against the wall!
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: What is skypoker going to do about bumhunters?:
    Been discussed to death many times before. And do you really expect Sky to come on here and say 'yes we're gonna do this, this and this'?
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Why not? Other sites have gone public about their approach.

• edited April 2014
    Sky is prob one of the best sites around. If you think bum hunting is bad here, which it isn't. Its so mild on here its untrue. Play on 888 or Ipoker these are the 2 worst sites I've ever seen for it in my entire life. Play there then re-post your thoughts. 
  • edited April 2014

Sorry don't know what a  bumhunter is maybe someone could enlighten me
  • edited April 2014
    Basically someone who will only play bad players & hunt them down. They will avoid regs and only target the weak player. Unfortunately this is part of poker nowadays & on Sky it is very mild believe me. Other sites it's like vultures swooping in to eat a dead carcass. They wont even consider clashing with other regs on alternative sites. Sky there are plenty of reg battles & I think the site is kept pure because you can't use tracking software. 
  • edited April 2014
    I don't know what a Bum Hunter is either. I'm guessing that means I've been Bum Hunted.
    If I'd heard it in any other context than regarding poker, I would have assumed it's aimed at people like Louis Spence and Larry Grayson.

Just googled Bum hunter and Poker.
    For anyone else who doesn't know, a bumhunter is someone who actively only tries to play poor players, usually HU.
  • edited April 2014
    Sky is prob one of the best sites around. If you think bum hunting is bad here, which it isn't. Its so mild on here its untrue. Play on 888 or Ipoker these are the 2 worst sites I've ever seen for it in my entire life. Play there then re-post your thoughts. 
    Posted by lJAMESl
    while i only play mircro stakes, and havent played on ipoker for years because i hated the software, i feel  ineed to comment. 

Again i cant comment for higher stakes, but even higher than where i play i have friends playing and often watch them, i've looked at nl20 - nl50 soo many times and literally every table alot of the time seems to have the same 5 players and one poor little random guy who's sat down to have a game of poker. The other 5 players only clash if its some mega sick cooler, and even then it rarely goes all in. 

Now i know this isnt technically bumhunting, although it is a form of it, and i have no idea how any site can combat it, its doesnt inspire people like me, who do ok at lower stakes to get better and try to move up the stakes and play these games. 

I cant comment for the other 2 sites you've mentioned as much, 2/3 years since i last played on 888 and longer for ipoker, but i urge you to look through the stakes on sky at somepoint before a session yourself, not just the stakes you'd normally play. 

Liquidity on cash tables on sky right now is terrible. and if these same 5/6 people (per level) or whatever keep pushing these poor sods who just want to have a fun and enjoyable night on a poker table, and their against 5 people waiting for top set, their just gonna invest in something else. The only level i see with strong liquidity right now honestly is the lowest levels, and down there i could name 3 current regs off the top of my head, and i include myself in that. 

• edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: What is skypoker going to do about bumhunters? : while i only play mircro stakes, and havent played on ipoker for years because i hated the software, i feel  ineed to comment.  Again i cant comment for higher stakes, but even higher than where i play i have friends playing and often watch them, i've looked at nl20 - nl50 soo many times and literally every table alot of the time seems to have the same 5 players and one poor little random guy who's sat down to have a game of poker. The other 5 players only clash if its some mega sick cooler, and even then it rarely goes all in.  Now i know this isnt technically bumhunting, although it is a form of it, and i have no idea how any site can combat it, its doesnt inspire people like me, who do ok at lower stakes to get better and try to move up the stakes and play these games.  I cant comment for the other 2 sites you've mentioned as much, 2/3 years since i last played on 888 and longer for ipoker, but i urge you to look through the stakes on sky at somepoint before a session yourself, not just the stakes you'd normally play.  Liquidity on cash tables on sky right now is terrible. and if these same 5/6 people (per level) or whatever keep pushing these poor sods who just want to have a fun and enjoyable night on a poker table, and their against 5 people waiting for top set, their just gonna invest in something else. The only level i see with strong liquidity right now honestly is the lowest levels, and down there i could name 3 current regs off the top of my head, and i include myself in that. 
    Posted by The_Don90

Dont really get what your trying to say in this post, cash liquidity on Sky is fine at peak hours (7pm onwards), slightly dead through the day as its mainly a UK site and people are busy through the day. 

Highlighted bit: These guys are grinding and trying to make money, would you like them to take it easy on the recs? When your grinding and you notice a player you have an edge on at your table do you take it easy on them or do you exploit them? For your sake I hope its the latter. I agree that on sky the games are kinda nitty but i think your being a tad extreme. 

• edited April 2014
    when are sky going to do something about racism should be the question. Me and a few others have had to put up with it from a certain player but sky do nothing when I report it.
  • edited April 2014
    Confused too. Bollys explained it perfectly to be honest. Poker is a dog eat dog world. It's like human nature at times, unfortunately this can mean survival of the fittest or adapt or die. At the end of the day poker is a game its meant to be fun, but people playing for a living have to be ruthless too or they will end up at the bottom of the food chain.
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: What is skypoker going to do about bumhunters? : Dont really get what your trying to say in this post, cash liquidity on Sky is fine at peak hours (7pm onwards), slightly dead through the day as its mainly a UK site and people are busy through the day.  Highlighted bit: These guys are grinding and trying to make money, would you like them to take it easy on the recs? When your grinding and you notice a player you have an edge on at your table do you take it easy on them or do you exploit them? For your sake I hope its the latter. I agree that on sky the games are kinda nitty but i think your being a tad extreme. 
    Posted by bolly580

Not having a go at anyone or blaming them, i was trying to make a point that games like this do hurt the liquidity. Do i blame regs for this, well yeah sort of, but at the same time their trying to make a living and i can accept that. 

About 6 months ago i played NL20 from time to time, and from 7pm onwords liquidity is terrible there. Higher up i cant comment too much but it looks an even worse story at 30, (does 40 even exist or run anymore?) and 50 doesnt look very appealing either. 

I dont mean to be rude and maybe my earlier post came across like i was slagging off the regs slightly, thats defo not what i meant, but 5 regs to 1 average joe on pretty much very table is abit extreme. Again i cant blame them, maybe what they need is a little more encouragement to start new tables and more weaker players will come, i dont know. Other sites are trying stuff, im sure one will have a solution to such a problem. I wouldnt go as far as segregation which i think one site went as far as, but there will be a fix. 

As for the nittyness, well i cant tell people how to play, thats not my style, and was maybe a slight exaduration for some, but ive seen some guys who call down with sites on boards where a there only ever behind to a better set. That isnt just regs, i see weaker players doing it too, although they teand to think its good because they where playing with xxx reg last week and he did it. 
  • edited April 2014
    why do sky need to do anything about bumhunting? nobody puts a gun to anybodys head forcing them to play anybody they dont want to play. if i was decent at cash games id probably bumhunt too in terms of table selction but i certainly wouldnt be sitting around at empty tables all day waiting for a fish, lifes far too short for that s***!!! i actually pity them to be honest. i dont know how they can enjoy the money there winning cos they spend the whole day wasting there life away sitting at empty tables.
  • edited April 2014
    Yes its a shame Don but I think thats poker nowadays and we have to accept it. Long gone are the days of easy games and easy pickings. Will it change? I doubt it. But possibly will force the players who are just sitting there waiting to cooler others to consider other job options because noway they will survive in the foreseeable future. 
  • edited April 2014
    Yes its a shame Don but I think thats poker nowadays and we have to accept it. Long gone are the days of easy games and easy pickings. Will it change? I doubt it. But possibly will force the players who are just sitting there waiting to cooler others to consider other job options because noway they will survive in the foreseeable future. 
    Posted by lJAMESl
    Im not saying i want easy pickings. But u guys are saying its dog eat dog, and rightfully so. The issue im saying is the food chain is slowly being staved from almost the very bottom. If the lower levels start to suffer than thats only going to have a negitive impact higher up. 

I actually just checked lobby before posting this, and its alot better than when i was playing slightly higher up myself. So maybe it is improving
  • edited April 2014
    I started this thread and have been very interested to see the views expressed.
    I agree with the Don - bumhunters impact negatively on the entire poker ecology. Sky poker spends a fortune on advertising to attract new players, but for what purpose? So they can be lined up for the vultures to pick on their carcasses? 

To support the wider poker ecology, we need to attract new players and recreational players, but we also need to give them half a chance. Anything else is, in my opinion, short-sighted and will ultimately kill the game. Most poker sites agree with this appraisal and have taken steps to protect new players in the wider interests of the game (and themselves).

• edited April 2014
    I started this thread and have been very interested to see the views expressed. I agree with the Don - bumhunters impact negatively on the entire poker ecology. Sky poker spends a fortune on advertising to attract new players, but for what purpose? So they can be lined up for the vultures to pick on their carcasses?  To support the wider poker ecology, we need to attract new players and recreational players, but we also need to give them half a chance. Anything else is, in my opinion, short-sighted and will ultimately kill the game. Most poker sites agree with this appraisal and have taken steps to protect new players in the wider interests of the game (and themselves).
    Posted by BigBluster
    I very much doubt that the average Joe who signs up to the site is gonna slap £500 down and immediately sit with (insert reg name here) at 200nl. 
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: What is skypoker going to do about bumhunters? : I very much doubt that the average Joe who signs up to the site is gonna slap £500 down and immediately sit with (insert reg name here) at 200nl. 
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Yeah but the point is this isnt just an issue at NL200, Its from NL10 all the way up npw. Obv the NL10 regs are beatable, but id imagine its much harder for the average joe who is new to poker/