You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Share and share alike?

edited April 2014 in Poker Chat
Hi

Something interesting to hear other people's views on - it's in relation to rewarding different types of player. To help, here is a made up simple example to comment on...

Let's say there are four Sky Poker players (players A, B, C and D):

All of them earned 1,000 poker points playing cash in March. Sky Poker thinks 'let’s reward our loyal customers' (forget about Sky Poker rewards for the purpose of this).

Player A
- had a good month and won £500 (a regular winning player)
Player B - did OK, made a smaller profit but only just, say £50 (a new player)
Player C - lost £50 and still plays regularly (generally break-even player)
Player D - lost £100 in a week and not played since (regular losing player)

Let’s pretend we want to give £100 to these players. How would you share it?

- Do you give them all £25 because they all earned the same points?
- Do you give more or less money to winning players vs losing ones?
- Do you treat player C and D the same?
- Which of these players would other players rather play against?
      - Does this make a difference?
- Are there other things to consider - like how much someone deposits?

This should be an interesting debate and will divide opinion but let’s have a good discussion and see what people have to say.

Thanks
Sky Poker

Comments

• edited April 2014
    In theory all four deserve £25 because they've paid the same rake each.

However, player A and player B will be coming back to play again no matter what. Any reward received will just be the icing on a cake to them. It will have little to no bearing on their likelehood to earn 1,000 poker points again in the following month.

The poker economy can't survive without players like C and D. I don't know how it can be done, but in my opinion the £100 should be split between them. It might be the difference between them deciding to quit online poker or coming back to play again.

Players A and B will be happy to see players C and D get the money if they've got half a brain. They will understand that if all the players like C and D leave the site they will no longer be able to make their profit at the tables. They will also realise they players like them will win the £100 from players C and D at the tables anyway.
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Share and share alike?:
    In theory all four deserve £25 because they've paid the same rake each. However, player A and player B will be coming back to play again no matter what. Any reward received will just be the icing on a cake to them. It will have little to no bearing on their likelehood to earn 1,000 poker points again in the following month. The poker economy can't survive without players like C and D. I don't know how it can be done, but in my opinion the £100 should be split between them. It might be the difference between them deciding to quit online poker or coming back to play again. Players A and B will be happy to see players C and D get the money if they have half a brain. They will understand that if all the players like C and D leave the site they will no longer be able to make their profit at the tables. They will also realise they players like them will win the £100 from players C and D at the tables anyway.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    What Gary said.
  • edited April 2014
    I agree with Gary's post but I just think that players C and D would kick off big time! Also could that be done for a legal perspective? I am no lawyer but it looks dodgy to me.
  • edited April 2014
    Players who spend money on poker should be rewarded. The reason poker is in decline is because rewards are targeting the wrong players.

Winning players will always come back as they are winning.

Get the losing players you will get the high volume winning players.

Volume based promotions have to stop and even more ridiculous is promotions such as skill and go. Winning players don't need further incentive as they are winning.

Its so simple yet overlooked. If you want to make money at anything you need to find people who are wanting to spend money. There is no magic Sky poker money tree, winnings/rakeback comes from people spending money. These are the players that need rewarding.
  • edited April 2014
    Players who spend money on poker should be rewarded. The reason poker is in decline is because rewards are targeting the wrong players. Winning players will always come back as they are winning. Get the losing players you will get the high volume winning players. Volume based promotions have to stop and even more ridiculous is promotions such as skill and go. Winning players don't need further incentive as they are winning. Its so simple yet overlooked. If you want to make money at anything you need to find people who are wanting to spend money. There is no magic Sky poker money tree, winnings/rakeback comes from people spending money. These are the players that need rewarding.
    Posted by ajs4385
    So, what Gary said, yeah?
  • edited April 2014
    Players who spend money on poker should be rewarded. The reason poker is in decline is because rewards are targeting the wrong players. Winning players will always come back as they are winning. Get the losing players you will get the high volume winning players. Volume based promotions have to stop and even more ridiculous is promotions such as skill and go. Winning players don't need further incentive as they are winning. Its so simple yet overlooked. If you want to make money at anything you need to find people who are wanting to spend money. There is no magic Sky poker money tree, winnings/rakeback comes from people spending money. These are the players that need rewarding.
    Posted by ajs4385
    +1 apart from the skill & go bit.

It's just a uniquely structured freeroll 'competition' similar to a freeroll tournament, any 1 of the 10,000+ players that entered could've final tabled and were quite rightly rewarded for doing so.

The worst player on the site could've won that promo with abit of short term heat. Even Jac got a game in the final.

If they ran the identical promo again I'd have a bet with you at evens that you couldn't name 1 of the 6 finalists before it kicks off. I reckon half of the top 20 on the leaderboard were long term losing/break even players.

Good tournament. More plz.
  • edited April 2014

Thanks for the comments guys, keep them coming.
  • edited April 2014
    Well,I do most of my horse race betting on Bet365,and for every £100 I spend(win or lose I get a £5 reward,no strings attached,but I have to bet £15 before I can withdraw it).
    Any views?
  • edited April 2014
    Give them £10 C4P (which is what its at right now) and put the other £60 into a freeroll where only C & D can play. Also dont put a dam password on it either, make it private invite only and enter the players you wish. 
  • edited April 2014
    Give them £10 C4P (which is what its at right now) and put the other £60 into a freeroll where only C & D can play. Also dont put a dam password on it either, make it private invite only and enter the players you wish. 
    Posted by The_Don90
    Whats the password?