You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

SKY's micro rake-time for a rethink?

edited April 2014 in Poker Chat
as most of you will know im a long time player here and was generally found playing micro cash. ive been here since the start and most my poker over the years has been played here.

the issue I want to discuss never bothered me much before. I just got on with it and never gave it a second thought. I was aware of the sites policy towards rake and stakes but outside of SKY I was blinkered really.

for those that are not aware here at sky NL4 NL8 NL10 are charged 7.5% rake with it flattening out to 5% for the above levels.

I always knew micro players were getting a raw deal on here compared to the other levels.

nowadays discussions are cropping up about how to sustain the poker economy and how you have got to keep the bottom of the food chain going so the money keeps on filtering its way to the top. some sites seem to be proactive on this matter and some don't.

recently I opened an account elsewhere, wont name but some of you might know from another thread,it is full of different ideas to some of the sites I looked at, and certainly a lot different to SKY.

the major thing about this other site is the rake levels for players at the bottom of the ladder. NL4 is charged 2% and NL10 is 3%. as you can see that's a huge difference compared to SKY. players are keeping more of their money initially and in theory can progress quicker up the levels where the rake % is more industry standard.

just a couple of quick sums show you the difference.

at NL10 on SKY if you get 100bb in the pot and matched by another, you pay 75p each for a combined total of £1.50
at NL10 on other site you would pay 30p each for a combined total of 60p making a 90p difference in total rake between the 2.

us poker players hate the word rake but surely looking after the bottom rung of the ladder like this makes better sense than the current model. its all very well having rake race promo's etc but I don't think that's gonna be sustainable.

the rake levels were a huge selling point to me, as i said we all hate paying it. this may be a gimmick that dies away or it may lead to other sites adopting similar strategy. if its the latter then i feel SKY could be left behind with the current model.

i like SKY or i wouoldnt have been playing here as long as i have. surely its time to have a rethink about the micro rake and give back to the bottom that way instead of squeezing those extra %points out them. i would like to see SKY be more proactive than reactive in what is a changing market.

surely now is time for a major rethink before the completion steal what could be a huge march on you

thoughts?

Comments

• edited April 2014

Have to agree, there are a lot of sites offering far superior rakeback through their reward programmes, whilst at the same time charging less rake.
     SKY need to get more competitive to maintain the current increase in traffic.
     What is the site you talk of with the lower rake.
  • edited April 2014
    i've shifted almost all my hyper turbo volume across other sites as the rake is very high here.

the micro stakes rake is aggressively high for cash and dyms. they even slap a premium on all the low-stakes bounty hunters.

the worst of it is it makes some games unbeatable for anyone who doesn't CRUSH. and anyone who can beat the rake at that level has probably moved up anyway. the micro playerpool's liquidity must be hoovered up by the site. think it is short-sighted really.
  • edited April 2014
    I agree with all 3 posts so far and am also playing mostly elsewhere now from playing virtually all my poker on Sky. To be honest the high rake at micro/low levels has been mentioned many times over the years on the forums but nothing is ever done. Living in hope one day it will change and Ill be back lol.
  • edited April 2014
    Agree mate, the rake at low stakes games 4nl and 10nl is masssove

One of the highest out of all poker sites.

Something Sky could defo look at
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: SKY's micro rake-time for a rethink?:
    Agree mate, the rake at low stakes games 4nl and 10nl is masssove One of the highest out of all poker sites. Something Sky could defo look at
    Posted by LARSON7
    But won't. :(
  • edited April 2014

It's a good post, and one that every single player will agree with as what you're suggesting is a reduction in charges, so who wouldn't?

Hopefully Sky give it the consideration it deserves, as it's clearly not as 'black and white' as that.

----------------

20% rake on a 30p dym. Does that extra 2p per player per game really make much of a difference to Sky?

It makes all the difference to the players, no way can anybody beat that, or even break even. Give them a chance.

Charge the £10+ games @ £11.02/£22.02 instead.

At least the cash games are still beatable.
  • edited April 2014

Great post Tintin.

Maybe I'm naive, but I've never really understood the reason for different tiers of rake - I always thought the cost to run games would be fairly flat (ie one more table of NL4 has a marginal cost no more than one more table of NL1000)... therefore there seems little sense in charging more to play. 

It's a bit different to live, where a dealer's wages would make up a greater proportion of a low limit table cost and justifiably mean a more onerous rake.

This sort of ties in with SkyPoker's post before the weekend which intimated that it was considering giving a higher rakeback reward to losing players, on the basis that if they feed the fish, everyone wins. Alternative - just even out the rake in the first place and let the fish feel like they are getting more poker for their money.

• edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: SKY's micro rake-time for a rethink? : But won't. :(
    Posted by CraigSG1
    correct lol
  • edited April 2014
    It's a good post, and one that every single player will agree with as what you're suggesting is a reduction in charges, so who wouldn't? Hopefully Sky give it the consideration it deserves, as it's clearly not as 'black and white' as that. ---------------- 20% rake on a 30p dym. Does that extra 2p per player per game really make much of a difference to Sky? It makes all the difference to the players, no way can anybody beat that, or even break even. Give them a chance. Charge the £10+ games @ £11.02/£22.02 instead. At least the cash games are still beatable.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Execpt plo8 nl4 split pot game with high rake, blurgh

Agree everything in the orginal post rake at nl4 is horrific. I think it is done because most players at this level are recs that have no concept of what rake is and what is a reasonable deal so why not punish them for their ignorance, seems very harsh.
  • edited April 2014
    Until everyone stops playing these games then why would sky bother to change it? there are currently 16 nl4 tables running and this is one of the slowest times of the day. I mainly play med/high stakes mtts across a few sites so it doesnt affect me, but if you want sky to change it you would have to proactively do something about it, whether that is a boycott, or a petition or something else i dont know. but until sky feel they are losing money from this i very much doubt they will change it.
  • edited April 2014
    100% agree with op. 

Few things. 

7.5% for NL10 and above means more rake, more time to move up etc. If we move up and play NL20/NL30/NL50 pots are bigger, rake is bigger etc. 75p for a £10 pot is only a £1.05 less than the rake styles and rosiedog pay on their £3000 pots on TOTP ffs. 

Tournys. £5.50 for a normal mtt. £5.75 for a bh which its different win rates, the diff between winning and second in these is massive compared to normal mtts. Reward the loyal bh fanatics with 10% rake. You ony charge 10% on the £3.30 bhs.