You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Weekend footy betting (Sat 2nd Jan)

edited January 2010 in The Shed
This is notoriously one of the trickiest football betting days of the year IMO. The favourites will be ridiculously short odds & there'll always be a couple of surprise results to ruin your acca's. However, with a few careful picks I think there is some value to be had in tomorrow's games (particularly with a handful of League 1 & 2 games being played too) so here are my picks:

Norwich to beat Wycombe (away) @ 4/6
Bournemouth to beat Northampton (home) @ 8/11
Villa to beat Blackburn (home) @ 8/13
Newcastle to beat Plymouth (away) @ 4/5
Man City to beat Middlesbrough (away) @ 8/13

The 5 way is currently paying a little over 12/1.

As ever with the cup games I dare say they'll be at least 3 or 4 surprise results which, if you can get them right, can earn you a few extra quid for very little outlay. Looking through I think there are 6 games that definitely have the potential to spring a surprise. Here's my take on them.

READING vs. LIVERPOOL

Yes, Reading haven't won at home for what seems like forever & don't even have a permanent manager either. It's also worth remembering that this is probably Liverpool's only realistic chance of silverware this season too. Having said that, Forest were in a similar position this time last year when Man City rolled into town for their cup game and they won 3-0. You can currently get 15/2 for a Reading win or 3/1 for the draw (which I think is fantastic value in itself)

TORQUAY vs. BRIGHTON

Probably not the biggest of upsets but in terms of league positions it'll certainly be classed as a minor upset. Brighton have picked up a bit of late since Poyet took over but they'll probably see League 1 survival as a priority. It's also worth remembering that Torquay have been decent at home this season & saw off League 1 opposition in the previous round when the beat Stockport 4-0. You can get 7/4 for the Torquay win.

PORTSMOUTH vs. COVENTRY

One thing's for sure at Fratton Park tomorrow. Pompey will either completely wipe the floor with Coventry who have been very hit & miss themselves or we'll see a nice little booster for Coventry. Once again Pompey's players have been paid late for the 3rd time (I believe) this season & there's certainly some discontent down on the South coast. Also remember that they're missing a few players who are on international duty at the African nations so a weak team has been made even weaker. You can get 4/1 on the Coventry win or 13/5 on the draw (which like the Reading game is certainly worth a look)

FOREST vs. BIRMINGHAM

Yes, yes, yes, I know Birmingham are on a fantastic run at the moment (unbeaten in 11, of which they've won 7) but as everyone knows, all good things must come to an end & this could well be it. Forest are in fantastic form themselves (unbeaten in 16!). They've won 6 of their last 7 at home will be up for this game. Billy Davies has already stated that he doesn't want Forest to get promoted this year so will certainly be up for this. It's currently 15/8 for a Forest win.

MILLWALL vs. DERBY

If this was at Pride Park then I wouldn't even have this here. However, Derby's away form this season has been poor to say the least. They've only won once away from home in all competitions all season which came a few weeks ago with a 1-0 win at Watford. Unsurprisingly they went out of the Carling cup away to Rotherham too. Millwall are a decent proposition at home this season having only lost there once in all competitions when Wycombe beat them 0-2 back in November. It's also worth remembering that they've also beaten Leeds there this season too and not many teams have taken points from them. Currently you can get 6/4 on the Millwall win.

HUDDERSFIELD vs. WEST BROM

Likewise, if this was at the Hawthorns then no doubt I'd be backing West Brom every day of the week & twice on Sundays, but at the Galpharm it's a totally different ball game. Huddersfield certainly gave Newcastle a run for their money at St James in the Carling cup earlier this season only to narrowly lose 4-3 in the end. Their home record is also very good where they're unbeaten in 14 in all competitions this season. West Brom have certainly had their off days this season & it's fairly certain that their biggest efforts will go into winning promotion back to the Prem. You can currently get 11/5 on Huddersfield.

With those being the most likely games to offer the upsets, I've gone for a cheeky £1 on a treble of Forest, Millwall & Huddersfield which is paying a stonking 22/1.

Good luck with your selections.

Comments

• edited January 2010
    That looks like a good acca, ill be having a few quid on that 2mora..also check out triffs treble its normaly on this site under star bets on saturdays..its returned at some nice prices this season.
  • edited January 2010
    The ones that could prove to be an upset are also the ones adding really good odd's to your acca's

These being..

West Brom have good odds to beat Huddersfield 6/5

Doncaster to beat Brentford 11/8

Burnely to beat Mk Dons 10/11

Wigan to beat Hull is 5/6

I won a pound accunlator mid week for a nice 15 pound so shall be cashing and splashing that out on bets tommorow. Been looking forward to this day for a while now :)

1 game usually let's me down, so it will be nothing new if i do not win, but if i do, should be a nice profit...
  • edited January 2010

It'll be DONNY HARTS!!

DO NOT BACK DONNY!!! - Unless theyre away at a big club n theyre 5/1, as they always seem to be!

Ive woke up with a huggggeee hangover - made up for beiong bad over xmas by getting sozzled new years day, so no poker today, cnt concentrate, just some big sports gambling, lay back, n let the pros do the work for me!

Will post in abit with selections!
  • edited January 2010
    Banker! - 5/1!!
    1. Chelsea v Watford Chelsea @ 1/8
    2. Barcelona v Villarreal Barcelona @ 1/3
    3. Aston Villa v Blackburn Aston Villa @ 4/7
    4. Sunderland v Barrow Sunderland @ 1/7
    5. Middlesbro' v Man. City Man. City @ 8/13
    6. Everton v Carlisle Everton @ 1/4

Optimism! - 286/1

1. Stoke v York Draw @ 9/2
    2. Southampton v Luton Draw @ 7/2
    3. Plymouth v Newcastle Draw @ 5/2
    4. Nottm. Forest v Birmingham Draw @ 12/5

Ya never know! - Stick a big blind on it!!!....

1. Reading v Liverpool Liverpool @ 4/9
    2. Bolton v Lincoln Draw @ 5/1
    3. Wigan v Hull Wigan @ 4/5
    4. Torquay v Brighton Draw @ 12/5
    5. Sheff. Wed v Crystal Palace Draw @ 12/5
    6. Scunthorpe v Barnsley Draw @ 12/5
    7. Portsmouth v Coventry Draw @ 13/5
    8. Nottm. Forest v Birmingham Nottm. Forest @ 13/8
    9. Millwall v Derby Draw @ 12/5
    10. Huddersfield v West Brom Draw @ 12/5

66980/1 !!!

GL ALL, DOHHHHHHH !!!!
  • edited January 2010
    Good luck with all ya bets guys, here's my acca for today:

Everton
    Man City
    Millwall
    Southampton
    Stoke
    Spurs
    Norwich
    Forest Draw
    Preston Draw
    Simon Whitlock to beat Barney

£1 pays £334

COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited January 2010
    Only had a small bet myself today

had

Westbrom
    Leicester
    Birmingham
    Preston
    Scunthorpe

Did have Charlton as well but just seen that gameis off.

Good Luck All
  • edited January 2010
    heres the triffs treble gillingham, norwich & bury at a juicyyy 9/1 gl with all your bets
  • edited January 2010

Preston & Colchester to draw, what was i thinking. 8-(

• edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Weekend footy betting (Sat 2nd Jan):
    Preston & Colchester to draw, what was i thinking. 8-(
    Posted by Quagmire72
    Unlucky m8, that was a freak result most people were tipping colchester to draw or win.

Welldone harts getting ur bet up

Seems the rest of us lost alltho i think dohs bet is still going, blooming Birmingahm let me down, oh well theres always tomorrow
  • edited January 2010

Its Harts lucky day!!!

Finished 6/900 in the freeroll - And Donny got postponed!!!

Hope hes got a lottery ticket!

Chelsea and Barca to go? the 2 best teams in europe? ill take that! lol

I havent actually checked the FT's but all this afternoons 4 were up last I checked....
  • edited January 2010

I can't BELIEEEVVVVVEEEEEE IT!!!!

Chapmions of SPain, Champions of Europe, Champions of THE WORLD!!!!

LET ME DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spose there really is no such thing as a banker!!!!

DOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Weekend footy betting (Sat 2nd Jan):
    I can't BELIEEEVVVVVEEEEEE IT!!!! Chapmions of SPain, Champions of Europe, Champions of THE WORLD!!!! LET ME DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Spose there really is no such thing as a banker!!!! DOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Unlucky mate. All of my best mate's 3pm bets came in & he needed Liverpool to beat Reading & you know what happened there. I know it shouldn't make much of a difference but i like my bets to be wrapped up by 5pm. I find if i put the evening kick-off game in my acca it lets me down a lot. Last season i had an acca where i got 7 correct & i was just relying on Stoke to beat Newcastle at the Britannia in the evening game. It finished 1-1 thanks to a lucky looping header from Andy Carroll in the 80th minute, costing me £800. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • edited January 2010
    Had my "Banker" bet on need to wait for todays results but will only earn me back what i've staked over the weekend.

Portsmouth let me down a hundred or so

And blackpool lost me 80 or so on another bet