You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Playing hands like AT QT AJ QJ JT from early position

edited April 2014 in The Poker Clinic
Sorry for yet ANOTHER Post, But I am trying to learn from the errors made recently which have yeilded alot of losing sessions (I have been down from around 2/3rds of my sessions from past three days)

I've noticed that some of my smaller losses have occured when I have decided to play some of the marginal what i call "face hands" from early position and are raising. Upon analysing this further, I have spotted that I seem to be waisting money here when I have raised and got a caller and then are getting away from these hands, when I miss the flop altogether and are then bet into/raised by my opponent(s).

Should I perhaps consider not playing these hands at-all (unless they are in late position (BB/SS/DLR BTN) until I can learn to become profitable from these?

ESP I've noticed in my better sessions I am not playing these at all, instead, focussing on the better premium hands EG JJ/KK/QQ/AA which are playable from any position.

Comments

• edited April 2014
    QTs is pretty different to QTo from early position.  

Even so open folding JxFy from UTG is a mistake. Where F is face card

Sounds like you need to work on bet folding out of position post flop instead of bet calling with these hands that can be heavily dominated 
  • edited April 2014
    of course you'll win more with JJ+ than any other hands, they're the best starting hands in hold 'em but that's not a reason to not play any other hands.

Forget about having set rules for everything and just think about ranges. Once you start trying to hand read that's it, you're off and everything else makes sense. 

When you raise these paint cards it's because you expect people to call with worse hands, ideally ones that you dominate.

Fwiw, I'd probably fold stuff like JTo, QTo when UTG.

Just to point out, SB and BB are not counted as late position, the blinds are literally the worst possible position on the table to play hands from cos you'll always be OOP (except BB v SB). We don't play wider ranges from the blinds, we play tighter ranges and best to avoid calling too much out of the blinds, we often want to be folding or 3betting.