You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

New tourny strategy. Good or not?

edited April 2014 in Poker Chat
I was doing some reading the other day and came accross the following theory for the modern game.  It's called

The Isolation Limp.

We all know that if there is a person limp calling in early position it is good practice to try to isolate them in position with ATC and play them heads up.  Now consider this, we have a good player doing this and we pick up a premium hand, AA for example.  The limper limps as normal and you know the button is going to raise to isolate them as normal.  What you do is limp behind with your monster and then back raise the aggressor trying to isolate the limper and isolate them.

What are your thoughts on this?

If this goes well I may post some more of their thoughts to see what you think

Comments

• edited April 2014
    would be pretty disguised - but you are relying on someone else to GII and if they don't you are now multiway with no idea of where you are 
  • edited April 2014
    Turning your hand face up IMO. And could get you in a lot of trouble.
  • edited April 2014
    Heart the backraise. It's a woeful move but love the term.
  • edited April 2014
    Pretty face up mate, and if not raised you see a flop 4 ways with Aces:)
  • edited April 2014
    I love a good backraise but not from a limp.

Nothing wrong with flatting raises with certain hands if we think there are players behind that will squeeze a lot and then 4bet them
  • edited April 2014
    If you wanted to take this approach then do not 3bet the btn if holding a premium hand as you're turning your hand face up.  What I would suggest instead is that with a 'weak holding' something like 67s that you do your back-raise (3bet) as it will certainly make your hand look like a strong premium hand and will probably get the btn to fold.  If not then you will take it down most of the time on the flop.  Use this move wisely though.
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: New tourny strategy. Good or not?:
    would be pretty disguised - but you are relying on someone else to GII and if they don't you are now multiway with no idea of where you are 
    Posted by GELDY
    Would be pretty disguised?

So player limp calls mostly then suddenly limp raises, not exactly disguised IMO.

• edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: New tourny strategy. Good or not?:
    In Response to Re: New tourny strategy. Good or not? : Would be pretty disguised? So player limp calls mostly then suddenly limp raises, not exactly disguised IMO.
    Posted by MattBates
    apols for lack of clarity. clearly limp/raise in general play is usually v.strong. i was referring to later-stage tourney play where there are <20BB stacks on the table and you are looking to induce a shove by building the pot with seemingly weak hands.  the limp itself clearly disguises the hand (unless he only ever limps with AA!) and might inspire a shorter stack to shove. 
  • edited April 2014
    Its a really good strategy and I use it in biggest cash games on here. However, extremely rarely. I doubt even once a month.
  • edited April 2014
    I did this with aces a few weeks ago in a Sit n Go when it was down to the last three, because one of the other players always limped in, so I just called him to try and maximise my winnings. The flop was 2 6 10 rainbow. He bet; I raised; he then shoved. I quickly called and he turned over 2 6.

Idiot.

:)
  • edited April 2014
    My favourite is limping with a big/trap hand right after someone has just lost a lot of their chips in the hope that they will tilt shove much wider.