You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Latest Sky Live Event

edited April 2014 in Poker Chat
I guess this is the reason why it's all been a bit quiet on the SPT front.

A slightly smaler BI would have been nice but I'll deffo be trying to qualify for it.

Comments

• edited April 2014
    Good luck to those of you who'll be participating.

RIP SPTs?
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Latest Sky Live Event:
    Good luck to those of you who'll be participating. RIP SPTs?
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    Not necessarily Gary, that decision has NOT been taken, it remains to be seen.

However, the Sky Poker 6-Max UKPC begins with a £250 Event, so, hopefully, that will bridge the gap. It includes 50 Seats to the Main Event, too, so hopefully, folks will enjoy it.
  • edited April 2014
    No  vegas  packages  and only  live events for the high rollers ?  Really enjoyed my only SPT Newcastle  last year £110  buy in . Guess if theres  no smaller events thats the sky community , meet  and greet at live events is no more.
  • SPTSPT
    edited April 2014
    thats not the case

many many Sky Poker players came and played the first UKPC, if not the main the side and support events, or just came to rail

No doubt the same will happen in August, hope so
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Latest Sky Live Event : Not necessarily Gary, that decision has NOT been taken, it remains to be seen. However, the Sky Poker 6-Max UKPC begins with a £250 Event, so, hopefully, that will bridge the gap. It includes 50 Seats to the Main Event, too, so hopefully, folks will enjoy it.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Would it not make sense to have sats for it on sky then? £250 is out of the bankroll of a large number of players on the site. It just seems like the risk at the moment is that players feel unloved and/or decide to play sats for it on DtD. Some players are happy to multi site however I feel like the target audience for the £250 might not and therefore will end up playing their nightly schedule on DtD on the nights they are playing sats for the £250 event.

Its been suggested a few times about sats being in the SnG lobby. Could this be a good opportunity to do this? No overlay risk if done this way.
  • edited April 2014
    i've just put all my thoughts on the other thread in the spt section. 
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Latest Sky Live Event : Would it not make sense to have sats for it on sky then? £250 is out of the bankroll of a large number of players on the site. It just seems like the risk at the moment is that players feel unloved and/or decide to play sats for it on DtD. Some players are happy to multi site however I feel like the target audience for the £250 might not and therefore will end up playing their nightly schedule on DtD on the nights they are playing sats for the £250 event. Its been suggested a few times about sats being in the SnG lobby. Could this be a good opportunity to do this? No overlay risk if done this way.
    Posted by MattBates
    Hi Mr Bates,

Yes, point taken, but the first priority is to start shifting seats to the Main Event.

As I indicated earlier, hopefully, down the line, satellites to the £250 Mini can also be run. Personally, I very much hope that is the case.

I'll certainly pass on your suggestion of Satelites in the SNG Lobby.

The £250 Mini is a very important part of the Festival, but right now, I'm pretty sure they want to focus on the Main. Fortunately, we have a good lead time, so it gives plenty of time for everything, all being well.

Will you be donating? Your special chair can be arranged.  

• edited April 2014
    Want to reply to above comment said this on the other thread but relevant here. 

Tikay i respect sky wish to see out the main event. However surely its worse for sky if me and several other players decide we cant afford too many shots at a sat for the main. As is likely for me and surely main other low stakes players (which makes up a huge chunk of skys player pool), we then decide ok i wont bother doing that. Ill withdraw my money, put it on the dtd site and play sats for the mini. 

• edited April 2014
    Also  SPTS of the past have visited various locations  as well , travel  etc is an issue for some, so would pick an event near to there home. etc.
  • edited April 2014
    Want to reply to above comment said this on the other thread but relevant here.  Tikay i respect sky wish to see out the main event. However surely its worse for sky if me and several other players decide we cant afford too many shots at a sat for the main. As is likely for me and surely main other low stakes players (which makes up a huge chunk of skys player pool), we then decide ok i wont bother doing that. Ill withdraw my money, put it on the dtd site and play sats for the mini. 
    Posted by The_Don90
    I am trying to answer ALL the questions, Don, honestly & openly, & I'm currently replying to you on 2 different threads.

The position is exactly as I stated earlier. Sky Poker have an obligation to get that Main Event Guarantee met, & that will be the first priority, come what may.

You can play the Satellites you wish wherever you wish, every player has that choice. The Business DID consider these matters with great care, by the way. 

I will share with you that the ORIGINAL 6-Max UKPC schedule, being discussed between DTD & Sky Poker, did not include the Mini, but it seemed a great idea to include it, & so it was added. I think that was an excellent idea.

Once again, as I have twice stated, once progress is made on qualifying players to the Main Event, the Mini will be looked at to see if a satellite schedule can be accommodated.

The business has to juggle this stuff with some care - for instance, it is UKOPS this weekend, so care must be taken not to interfere with that. Other Promotions are in the pipeline, too, ditto ditto.    

• edited April 2014
    SKY will do whatever is best for SKY, if that means annoying a small number of players to ensure the success of such a large event in the public eye then they will. I'm sure they thought about it rather than just plonking some main sats in and forgetting about the other events.

SKY look after SKY, you should look after you... if you want to lock up a seat asap to the mini then just do it on DTD's site. I have had no problem playing SKY and DTD at the same time in the past, and its exactly what I plan to do this time too.

like TK said, I'm sure that once the DTD and SKY are happy the guarentee will be met, some sats for the other events will be introduced. **without breaks tho probably cos otherwise there will be too many tournies running at the same time (yes I still have a bee in my bonnet about that)**

fwiw I cant wait for this! there will be loads of chances to qualify to tiny amounts and there is loads of time to do it in too.
  • edited April 2014
    SKY will do whatever is best for SKY, if that means annoying a small number of players to ensure the success of such a large event in the public eye then they will. I'm sure they thought about it rather than just plonking some main sats in and forgetting about the other events. SKY look after SKY, you should look after you... if you want to lock up a seat asap to the mini then just do it on DTD's site. I have had no problem playing SKY and DTD at the same time in the past, and its exactly what I plan to do this time too. like TK said, I'm sure that once the DTD and SKY are happy the guarentee will be met, some sats for the other events will be introduced. **without breaks tho probably cos otherwise there will be too many tournies running at the same time (yes I still have a bee in my bonnet about that)** fwiw I cant wait for this! there will be loads of chances to qualify to tiny amounts and there is loads of time to do it in too.
    Posted by chicknMelt
    BOOM.

Err, yes, considerable thoughtage & debateage was invested.....

The bee in the bonnet thing? Can't really defend that one, can I? Guess you caught them on a bad day. Sorry, it happens, we all have them.

As you were, & I'll Post the Sync Break thing tomorrow morning.

I'm gonna go outside & have a little cry now.

Da de da de da de da, da de da de da daaaaaaaa.

• edited April 2014
    So there won't be a "traditional" SPT until November at least then? I woulfd have loved to go for one this year (or at the least come along and rail one) if there was something SW of a sort of Southampton/Swindon/Bristol/Cardiff arc, but that doesn't seem to be possible. Nottingham, where I assume this new festival will be (I can't see anywhere where it actually states that though) at almost 300 miles each way is just too far for that.
  • SPTSPT
    edited April 2014
    DTD in Nottingham yes, the only place in the country that would put on 11 days of six max of this magnitude

why wouldn't you travel to DTD, stay over for the time you can? (assuming you've satellited in?)

central location, great transport links....
  • edited April 2014

excellent stuff rich

• edited April 2014
    maybe im being a little off, so just to take some points. 

Sky are trying to increase its rep and attract new players. - i would 100% support this. But a £1k live event surely isn't going to do that. The currently online mtt schedule needs a huge shake up, and players who outside sky and play £1k mtts aren't going to come onto sky for a £55 primo are they? the only other mtts which could are the super rollers, which i imagine are cheaper than most of their buy ins on their other sites aswell. 

Stay over for the time you can. Again this seems a touch off. its an 11 day festival, many will only travel for events they qualify for as you mention thats fine. but this means they'll event select and if your only going to run sats for the main event thats going to cause issues. Even then those that do play elsewhere to qualify into the other events, and say they win one of the 50 seats for the main while there, they now have to extend their stay, i imagine at some cost, ontop of that a decent amount of time away from family, babysitters possible and time off work. 

I fully respect you want tp expand the site and bring in new players, but your trying to attract players who are probably more than aware of sky poker as it is, and choose not to play here for various reasons. I mentioned above the mtt schedule needs tweeking, others mention it all the time. I don't have all the answers, and i respect that the business wants to do whats best. Just my opinion that its going the wrong way. 

Fwiw i probably will try a few sats despite my objections. But i wud have put alot more into going to a cheaper event which i feel would be easier to sat into. 
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Latest Sky Live Event : Hi Mr Bates, Yes, point taken, but the first priority is to start shifting seats to the Main Event. As I indicated earlier, hopefully, down the line, satellites to the £250 Mini can also be run. Personally, I very much hope that is the case. I'll certainly pass on your suggestion of Satelites in the SNG Lobby. The £250 Mini is a very important part of the Festival, but right now, I'm pretty sure they want to focus on the Main. Fortunately, we have a good lead time, so it gives plenty of time for everything, all being well.   Will you be donating? Your special chair can be arranged.     
    Posted by Tikay10
    I hope to be there work commitments permitting to donate, will try and get a few others (Mr Wright etc) to come too. The whole event looks good, although you do have the issue of having set the bar high from the last time. (I am sure there is a height related gag somewhere for you there!)

Will you be playing the PLO?
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Latest Sky Live Event : I hope to be there work commitments permitting to donate, will try and get a few others (Mr Wright etc) to come too. The whole event looks good, although you do have the issue of having set the bar high from the last time. (I am sure there is a height related gag somewhere for you there!) Will you be playing the PLO?
    Posted by MattBates
    Hi Matt,

Which "Mr Wright", I know numerous? I know a few Miss Wrongs, too, but thats another story.

Will I play the Omaha? Depends if the Suits give me a Pass. I'd certaibnly like to, but, you know, "Front of House" is an exceedingly weighty responsibility, I don't just stand there looking pretty you know.

Height related gag? You FAIL, you missed some open goals. 

Imagine the headlines.... 

Mini-Man wins Mini

4'-Max Man wins 6-Max

I hear Karl Mahrenholz is playing, too. LOVE to see you two Heads Up.
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Latest Sky Live Event : I hope to be there work commitments permitting to donate, will try and get a few others (Mr Wright etc) to come too. The whole event looks good, although you do have the issue of having set the bar high from the last time. (I am sure there is a height related gag somewhere for you there!) Will you be playing the PLO?
    Posted by MattBates
    Matt you work aswel as crushing MTT's! Thats impressive 
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Latest Sky Live Event : Matt you work aswel as crushing MTT's! Thats impressive 
    Posted by thomas87
    Santa's little elves gotta work all year round to get ready for Christmas
  • edited April 2014
    imho this is another nail in the coffin of SPTs, TSPs and VLVs. (all three missing in action)
    it looks like Sky is going full out to capture the UK poker scene - live, on-line - TV - whatever
    and why not - great idea - but nothing to do with the regular skypoker online experience
    this is about UKOPS & UKPCs
    sure skypoker online will be an avenue to monetise this push in the longer term
    but this isn't about the current online community
    and yes we may get SPTs etc back in the longer term
    just not now
    RIP

• edited April 2014
    Sit n go satellite in to a £220 semi  ftw
  • edited April 2014
    The 6-Max festival looks great, I'll definitely try to make it for at least one of the tournaments and I'm sure it will be a great event.

Personally I am absolutely gutted that this seemingly signals the demise of the SPT's, they were one of the main reasons I played poker, I really, really hope they can be resurrected.

To state that a lot of Sky players played the UKPC is in fairness a little misleading, I was there for at last half the days and admittedly it was a superb event and a credit to Sly Poker and to Dusk til Dawn, it was far from the community feel that the SPT's had worked so well in fostering.  It was a bone fide proper poker festival and I'm sure the 6Max will be the same, however it caters for a different market than the SPT's and I really think it would be shame if Sky turned it's back on what has been one of it's strongest selling points, It's community.
  • edited April 2014
    imho this is another nail in the coffin of SPTs, TSPs and VLVs. (all three missing in action) it looks like Sky is going full out to capture the UK poker scene - live, on-line - TV - whatever and why not - great idea - but nothing to do with the regular skypoker online experience this is about UKOPS & UKPCs sure skypoker online will be an avenue to monetise this push in the longer term but this isn't about the current online community and yes we may get SPTs etc back in the longer term just not now RIP
    Posted by GELDY
    oh, and just to say, the only thing that got me travelling across the country for a poker tourney was that it was a SkyPoker SPT. As nice as DTD is I think I'll just stay in London where we have quite enough tourney action. I don't get much time to play weekend events and it was so nice that when I did it I could also meet up with all the SkyPoker crowd. It will be missed but I just don't think the UKPC can ever possibly have the same community spirit.

And it does make a difference to the community to be able to put faces to names. Hope this doesn't turn out to be a case of throwing the baby out with the bath water.