You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Tilting

edited April 2014 in The Poker Clinic
Tips on not tilting?

Comments

• edited April 2014
    Close tables and dont play til youve calmed down!
  • edited April 2014
    Really hard, i just play on  (dont do this!!)

Best just 2 stop playing/ call it a day/ have a decent break.
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Tilting:
    Tips on not tilting?
    Posted by pkrscott72
    Why do you think you tilt? For a lot of people it can be because they lose a significant % of their bankroll in a session. So for example if you are playing cash at 10p/20p blinds with £200 and you have a bad session and lose £100 (5BI's - which isn't an awful lot in terms of downswings you can get when playing poker) then that's half of your BR gone and it's easy to start tilting in an attempt to win it back.

If however you have £2000 in your bankroll and are playing 10p/20p and have an even worse session and lose 10 BI's, so £200 and go down to only having £1800 then it doesn't seem anywhere near as bad. Instead of losing half of your BR you've only lost 10%.

In tournaments people tilt because they had a lot of chips and then made a bad play/got unlucky and now they are back down to average/short stacked. 

There are books out there that can help you control your emotions better but apart from that it comes down to a lot of experience. The more you play, the more you get used to bad things happening and the more you can learn to not let it affect you. 
  • edited April 2014
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Tilting:
    smoke weed
    Posted by THEROCK573
    Knock one out.
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Tilting:
    smoke weed
    Posted by THEROCK573
    smoking weed might stop you tilting because your head is that far up your own Axx that you dont care...
    Not advisable everyhand you play its 3bet 4 bet loose your chips........

Tilting is a horrible thing to control it just comes with expeirence knowing the signs and how to deal with it
    during mtts if you find yourself tilting,maybe after getting unlucky in a big pot best just to get up from the laptop just for maybe an orbit and try and re focus....
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Tilting:
    Tips on not tilting?
    Posted by pkrscott72
    Not playing!

Works for me anyhow.

I Tilt so terribly badly that I actually have to stop playing for a month or two!

I'd love to be a good player but I simply don't have the attitude to grind it out, having my aces cracked by seven two off after going all in pre, just destroys me mentally for days on end, so I just have to quit playing again, well I don't have to of course, but tilting gets me so close to costing me my whole bankroll that it becomes my only course of action if I'm to keep my promise to myself of never reloading any more cash, ever again!

After being away for an extended break I can repair my BR quite quickly. I've Just gotta learn to walk away more readily when I start spewing buy-ins like confetti. If I could at least achieve that much, it would be a huge step forward.

So for me, the advice is, don't play, and then decide for yourself how long the break needs to be!

Regards,

Z.
  • edited April 2014
    try to avoid playing MTTs

i managed to get into the UKOPs main event on sunday and went out through a stupid attempt to bluff then i do the stupidest decision and decide to now play in the UKOPS side event for £55 which i was so lucky to get past the bubble.
    recent weeks i've lost loads through playing MTTs.
    it's those which require the most luck.