You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Full House Outdrawn by Quads, Did I get this wrong?

edited April 2014 in The Poker Clinic
Had a run of heavy losses so am sat here analysing at the moment. One of my biggest losses recently came when I ran a full-house into QUADS! I think my play generally in the early stages was fine, where I checked on the BB and checked again when I missed the flop. On the turn my oppy limped in, and I raised over the top of them, and shoved the rest of my chips in later on when I had a full house. Could I have done anything to spot the hand they had and ran away, or was I just plain unlucky as I was really expecting a win from a full-house (Thinking oppy had 2x pr a set or something like that)

Hand History #767428600 (21:37 15/04/2014)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
ThSmall blind £0.02£0.02£1.57
GaryLaudBig blind £0.04£0.06£0.79
 Your hole cards

cFold    
VFold    
TFold    
ThCall £0.02£0.08£1.55
GaryLaudCheck    
Flop

• J

ThCheck    
GaryLaudCheck    
Turn

ThBet £0.04£0.12£1.51
GaryLaudRaise £0.08£0.20£0.71
ThRaise £0.08£0.28£1.43
GaryLaudCall £0.04£0.32£0.67
River

TheWicked1Bet £0.16£0.48£1.27
GaryLaudAll-in £0.67£1.15£0.00
ThRaise £1.02£2.17£0.25
ThUnmatched bet £0.51£1.66£0.76
ThShow

GaryLaudShow

ThWinFour 5s£1.53 £2.29

Comments

• edited April 2014
    Just unlucky, usually better to have 100 bb when you sit down Gary, or top up if you go below about £3.20.

Just means if you are going to win, you win more money.
  • edited April 2014
    That wasnt the kind of Full House i was expecting,

I was expecting the river to be a 7, and him to hold 55.

Firstly you should raise pre flop, bet out turn then that never happens, you let him get in with rags and he done u over
  • edited April 2014
    Yeah what Alex said, was expecting a different FH!

You're still losing to any J, any pair 88+ and the case 5, no need to go broke here.
  • edited April 2014
    Raise pre

As played flop check ok, I would often bet though

Flat turn. I see no reason to raise here

Flat river

Fives over sevens is not a big hand on this board. You were behind most of villains range on turn and river. I think river is pretty close to a fold
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Full House Outdrawn by Quads, Did I get this wrong?:
    Just unlucky, usually better to have 100 bb when you sit down Gary, or top up if you go below about £3.20. Just means if you are going to win, you win more money.
    Posted by LARSON7
    I was working to a budget and a specific mind-set and only sat down with the minimum anway.
  • edited April 2014
    Misread the original hand, i thought you had 77755.

Most players when they sit down at cash will have 100 big blinds (£4). Having 79p 20bb's it's going to be really difficult to win and we will a lot of the time end up losing this 80p as opposed to winning, we have a lot less manouverability.

Preflop, blind on blind, we have a good strong hand (when the small blind has just called), it is a nice spot to raise

because 1) we can win the pot there and then 2) it builds the pot, and if he calls, a lot of the time we can win the pot on later streets in position

On the flop, we should continuation bet here (again gives him the chance to fold)

On the turn, (as played) when he leads into us for a min bet, we min raise.

There 2 main reasons we want to raise 1) For Value or 2) As a bluff to try and win the pot, by getting our oppo to fold a better hand.

When you min raise here, it's not a bluff, so looks like you are doing it for value.

We have to think what hands will be call with? Any 5x is beating us any jack is beating us, so it's a nice spot to just call on the turn.

When he bets 16p on the river, at best all we should be doing is calling. When we raise we are only going to get called by worse.

77 on a 555J board is not the best of hands (even thought it is a full house).

Try and think what our opponents can have. Say the board was 5557J, then 100% i love jamming the river (for value) because so many worse hands can call.

Just try and keep it as simple as possible. Try and put a wee plan together when you are playing a hand, and if you think you have the best hand go for value.

• edited April 2014
    Misread the original hand, i thought you had 77755. Most players when they sit down at cash will have 100 big blinds (£4). Having 79p 20bb's it's going to be really difficult to win and we will a lot of the time end up losing this 80p as opposed to winning, we have a lot less manouverability. Preflop, blind on blind, we have a good strong hand (when the small blind has just called), it is a nice spot to raise because 1) we can win the pot there and then 2) it builds the pot, and if he calls, a lot of the time we can win the pot on later streets in position On the flop, we should continuation bet here (again gives him the chance to fold) On the turn, (as played) when he leads into us for a min bet, we min raise. There 2 main reasons we want to raise 1) For Value or 2) As a bluff to try and win the pot, by getting our oppo to fold a better hand. When you min raise here, it's not a bluff, so looks like you are doing it for value. We have to think what hands will be call with? Any 5x is beating us any jack is beating us, so it's a nice spot to just call on the turn. When he bets 16p on the river, at best all we should be doing is calling. When we raise we are only going to get called by worse. 77 on a 555J board is not the best of hands (even thought it is a full house). Try and think what our opponents can have. Say the board was 5557J, then 100% i love jamming the river (for value) because so many worse hands can call. Just try and keep it as simple as possible. Try and put a wee plan together when you are playing a hand, and if you think you have the best hand go for value.
    Posted by LARSON7
    What better hands does he fold?
  • edited April 2014
    Most players when they sit down at cash will have 100 big blinds (£4). Having 79p 20bb's it's going to be really difficult to win and we will a lot of the time end up losing this 80p as opposed to winning, we have a lot less manouverability.
    Posted by LARSON7

Yes, Fully understand that - however, with a smaller bankroll than most (currently stood at £13ish) and setting myself a mental target of "Musn't go below this" I was often just buying in for the min of £1.20 (30x BB's). I didn't want to buy-in for the full £4 as I was saying to myself that I would probably get too engrossed and spin this away very quickly. Least if I lost a full £1.20, I could chose not to re-load, go away, have a think, review my flaws and then focus on the next game. Over the past couple of days I haven't been doing this, simply re-loading another £1.20, or £2.20 here and there straight away and because I was playing like a monkey, I proceeded to lose THAT as well!

I feel I'm back to the stage where I was at before my T/Tuesday win a couple of weeks ago with my confidence shattered, not wanting to play much of the game style I've been hurt in but still eager to play poker and perhaps rebuilt confidence. 

I really appreciate the feedback AND coaching I have read, not only for this particular hand, but also the other hands I've have inundated the threads with in the past 24hrs. I have had a really serious look at my losses today and have been spotting some very obvious mistakes that I am making and some very obvious flaws.

It's interesting though that even at this stage, as a beginning poker player (With experience) that I can look at a losing hand and think "WHY did I make this or that play"

I have some notes where I have openly recorded and criticised myself - I am wondering if this would be beneficial to post them up - also can other people lookup other's hand ID's if they are submitted?

Thanks again Y'all
    Regards
    Gary Lauderdale (GaryLaud)

• edited April 2014
    Hey Gary

Good idea posting your hands, it will give you a better understanding of situations how things play out.

If you want to play a bit for experience, have you ever tried the free play tables?

• edited April 2014
    Gary

I don't think there is anything wrong with buying in short when you are first starting out.

If we figure the minimum buy in to be 80p then you suddenly only need to have £40 for a 50BI bankroll (versus £200 if you are buying in for £4).  In turn that makes it a bit easier to not play with 'scared money' as you (should be) less scared about going broke when you are properly rolled for any given buy in.

It is also a good learning tool for cash as you MUST play tight aggressive when you buy in short. Limping is a no-no, you can't consider set-mining, middling connectors don't factor in your range, you VERY rarely bluff and when you do it is very simple / semi-bluff - you just play premium hands pre flop and always come in with a raise, often involving getting all-in pre flop.

In turn, that removes any tricky decisions post-flop - which can come later once you've mastered pre-flop, increased your bankroll a bit and can migrate to buying in for 100BB (£4).

This is obviously exploitable by better players, but this is NL4 we're talking about and there are always loose maniacs around that will pay off nitty play... especially when they see it only costs them 80p out of a £4 stack and will often gamble almost any two cards.
  • edited April 2014
    Hey Gary Good idea posting your hands, it will give you a better understanding of situations how things play out. If you want to play a bit for experience, have you ever tried the free play tables?
    Posted by LARSON7

I have tried out the free-tables, however, what I do find is that at the higher levels, they play ALOT differ from real poker in that people tend to GII with virtually any two cards, which makes reading very difficult. Ironically, the lower levels tend to play OK, but even then you can sometimes find players willing to GII with any two!

Think I'll stick to the cheaper deepstacks and I also have sufficient points to play for another 20 days or so based on 1x 10pt FR per day. Hey once I recover my confidence, I MIGHT give cash another try anyways - i'm halfway there towards my Bonus, currently sat on 52pts for the month!

• edited April 2014
    I really wouldn't bother with the freeplay tables, unless you are a complete novice and literally don't understand hand rankings or any of the betting actions etc etc, which isn't the case for you Gary.

I think a lot of people fail to remember that nearly everyone starts out at poker as a losing player, and this is only natural and perfectly normal. When you bust your first few MTT's, and spew off a few buy ins at cash, it's basically the sharp end of poker learning curve that will always cost you a few £££ up front. Essentially, you're paying for the experience of playing poker. That experience, coupled with improving at the game and studying up, should hopefully lead to improved results.

For want of a better analogy, if I wanted to learn to play the piano, then I'd have to pay for a lesson and go from there, I couldn't just sit down and hope to play like Elton John. If you want to learn the game of poker, inevitably it is gonna cost you initially, but with a bit of progression you'll get it all back and then some.
  • edited April 2014
    Someone else mentioned this elsewhere Gary

It seems your to scared of losing money, and are playing badly as a result, Maybe cash isnt the best thing for you to play, maybe u should play 30p dyms and up your game then move to cash otherwise your going to lose out on money cos your to scaredto commit money in the pot