You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

can anyone explain

edited April 2014 in Betting Chat
just tried to back the horse tip that joesman has posted on the forum, went with the bookies offering the best price so went to stake £20.00 at 16/1, confirmed bet and there was still £7.50 in my account cos they wont let me put anymore than £12.50 on. i contacted customer care and i cant make head nor tale why they wont let me bet any more, can anyone explain the following chat please.

Comments

• edited April 2014

Shauna @ BoylesportsHello Craig. How may I help you?

Craighello, ive just tried to place a bet of £20 on a horse race for tomorrow and it will only let me stake £12.50

Shauna @ BoylesportsLet me check on it. Would you mind to wait for a moment?

Craigno probs

Shauna @ BoylesportsOn review of your account, I can see that your recent bet attempts have been rejected by our Automatic risk controls.

Craigwhy is this?

Shauna @ BoylesportsThis practice is a common risk management strategy within our industry and forms an important part of our business.

Craigso what do i do then, can i not have a bet?

2:44 amShauna @ BoylesportsSince we are operating an automatic bet acceptance process, there's a series of risk management processes for pricing and product offering.

Try to place a lower amount or the Starting Price.

• edited April 2014

Shauna @ BoylesportsOn review of your account, I can see that your recent bet attempts have been rejected by our Automatic risk controls.

Craigwhy is this?

Shauna @ BoylesportsThis practice is a common risk management strategy within our industry and forms an important part of our business.

Craigso what do i do then, can i not have a bet?

2:44 amShauna @ BoylesportsSince we are operating an automatic bet acceptance process, there's a series of risk management processes for pricing and product offering.

Try to place a lower amount or the Starting Price.

• edited April 2014
    Bookies work each race to a percentage a few on here have mentioned it before 100% is the break even.

ie if any horse in the race wins they dont loose the more they can get it under 100% the better for them as part of this they will set a maximum liabilty % for each horse some they will risk more liability on (LAY) if they dont think it will win or if they have already insured there liability be betting with other bookies at higher prices you might remember barrys bismark on chanel4 racing.
    your bet must be above the liability they are will to risk on that horse,remember they are only offering that bet they are under no legal obligation to accept it to any level.
    Thats why every punter should have plenty of avaliable bookies to use.
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: can anyone explain:
    Bookies work each race to a percentage a few on here have mentioned it before 100% is the break even. ie if any horse in the race wins they dont loose the more they can get it under 100% the better for them as part of this they will set a maximum liabilty % for each horse some they will risk more liability on (LAY) if they dont think it will win or if they have already insured there liability be betting with other bookies at higher prices you might remember barrys bismark on chanel4 racing. your bet must be above the liability they are will to risk on that horse,remember they are only offering that bet they are under no legal obligation to accept it to any level. Thats why every punter should have plenty of avaliable bookies to use.
    Posted by BADBOY985
    ive got an account with every bookmaker, most didnt have prices to offer though last night so i went with boyles cos it was the best price, i wont use these cowboys again in future tho, is a £20.00 bet gonna put them out of business?
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: can anyone explain : ive got an account with every bookmaker, most didnt have prices to offer though last night so i went with boyles cos it was the best price, i wont use these cowboys again in future tho, is a £20.00 bet gonna put them out of business?
    Posted by THEROCK573
    that  wasnt a dig mate it was just a general point to finish the post for all.
    Well done on getting 20/1 pp would take as much as i wanted but only at 11/1! 
    Boyles still best price now only 16/1
  • edited April 2014

Hi Rocks 

I work in a bookies last 9 months, in certain races we only take 25 win or 12.50 e way without referring it to traders. 

12.50 might seem small but and the customer care people havnt got a clue, you would probably have got it on in a shop. Also think of your glass as half full you have got 12.50 on at 20s, the industry has to large extent become computor say no. If you build up a relationship in a shop they should look after you.

If I were you I wouldn't cut your nose off to spite your face.

Good luck with the punting.

Daggers
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: can anyone explain : that  wasnt a dig mate it was just a general point to finish the post for all. Well done on getting 20/1 pp would take as much as i wanted but only at 11/1!  Boyles still best price now only 16/1
    Posted by BADBOY985
    i know it wasnt a dig mate i was just getting across why i backed with boyles thats all :-)
  • edited April 2014
    Hi Rocks  I work in a bookies last 9 months, in certain races we only take 25 win or 12.50 e way without referring it to traders.  12.50 might seem small but and the customer care people havnt got a clue, you would probably have got it on in a shop. Also think of your glass as half full you have got 12.50 on at 20s, the industry has to large extent become computor say no. If you build up a relationship in a shop  they should look after you. If I were you I wouldn't cut your nose off to spite your face. Good luck with the punting. Daggers
    Posted by daggers747
    but i dont think paddy power or william hill etc would limit ur bet lyk this so why are boyles doing it, they must know its gonna win :-) i only got 16s not 20s by the way :-(
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: can anyone explain : but i dont think paddy power or william hill etc would limit ur bet lyk this so why are boyles doing it, they must know its gonna win :-) i only got 16s not 20s by the way :-(
    Posted by THEROCK573
    You're mistaken there rock. I literally can't go a week without someone saying their account has been restricted or even closed. This applies to all firms. Other forums can point you in the direction of the worst offenders.

***edit, I'm generally talking about guys who are arbing so their stakes would be higher (with low yields) but I've been told they have software to detect arbers even though it's legal.

• edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: can anyone explain : You're mistaken there rock. I literally can't go a week without someone saying their account has been restricted or even closed. This applies to all firms. Other forums can point you in the direction of the worst offenders. ***edit, I'm generally talking about guys who are arbing so their stakes would be higher (with low yields) but I've been told they have software to detect arbers even though it's legal.
    Posted by ff55hh
    yeah but what is the paticular reason for them not allowing me £20 on an outsider, i just cant get my head round it, im sure its happend to many on other betting sites but i can honestly say ive never been refused a bet anywhere other than boyles unless its for a silly ammount like 4 figures, its only £20.00 aswell so i cant see what there problem is. please explain so i can get my head round it why a betting firm wont take a poxy £20 bet.
  • edited April 2014
    Say if everybody that was aware that tip put a fiver on with Boyles @ 2am (16/1??) then thats a significant move for a handicap chase at Southwell.

Bookies get it wrong sometimes but not for long and this kind of situation crops up all the time. You'd be surprised at what small amounts of money can affect the markets on lesser / weekday meetings.

Apparently things like the owners of  a 33/1 outsider having something like £30 down on course for a laugh can cause havoc with the markets if its a class 6 seller @ Wolverhampton or something. 

**edit, also the days of the bookies being competitive on horse racing are long gone. So this may happen more in the future. I'm surprised they didnt direct you to the bandit for your spare £7.50.