You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Thank You to Tikay & Sky Community

edited April 2014 in Poker Chat
At the start of this year I said that 2014 was going to be the year for me to make my big breakthrough in terms of my poker career.

Pretty early in the year I was offered a staking deal to play on another site and did accept, but I kinda knew deep down it was only a matter of time before I came 'home' to Sky. It was only a couple of months into the deal when a combination of factors made me come back to my favourite site.

Shortly after the start of that deal I got to share a final table with Julian Thew at the £550 6-max side event at UKPC which resulted in a 3rd place finish for £18,000. Since then I've final tabled my first Sky main event - the £20,000 Roller, for just shy of £1,200 and my overall results have went from strength to strength.

I'm just now coming to the end of my first full month of playing only 50NL (with the odd shot at 100NL) and I'm feeling very confident in the games. I've won an iPad Air from the great promo Sky ran this month and I'm a couple of days away from ending my biggest ever winning month.

The tables have been very kind to me so far this year, I've had to do a fair bit of hard work to help me along the way but I've also had a lot of help from the great community on Sky.

So I just wanted to say a big thank you to Tikay for having the faith in me to pick me for TSP and giving me the opportunity to play in my first major live event, the £1k Monte Carlo. It was definitely a good confidence booster. Also thank you to the great community for giving me advice, support and just following my progress from the days of me grinding 4NL and £1 HU SnGs to where I am now. 

GL at the tables.

Comments

• edited April 2014

Pretty tidy Final Table, that UKPC 6-Max, Paul, iirc Thewy, Ian Simpson, Tom High, Ben Dobson, & another guy, can't recall his name.   

We all have (or hope to have) our one big "breakthrough" Tourney, & the £18,000 you collected must have felt wonderful.

I still often think of that SPT @ Stratford, where Dave Shallow played that extraordinary hand against you, & I think you mucked either a split pot or the winner, as he could not POSSIBLY call with K high. Seriously, playing against him must have been a bit special to, he has quite a game. Think he still holds the record for the biggest cash by a Brit in an Online MTT. He's playing the EPT Main in Monte Carlo, & I think I have 1% of him or whatever.

He used to be a proper 100% degen, but he's got a baby boy now, Zack, & he's gone all soft & soppy. GREAT judge of a Greyhound, too, gave us a good few nice priced winners recently, usually at his local track, Romford. 

A bunch of us went to Wimbledon dogs one night last year to celebrate something. He gave us a dog to back, so we all had our fivers & tenners on - he had £1,500 on it. Hosed home, too. Oi oi!    

• edited April 2014
    Yeah it's tempting to look back on the 'ifs' and 'buts'... that hand you mention it was actually the winner I folded because my kicker, which iirc was only a 9, played and beat his 4 kicker. Just tabling my hand would have gave me a pretty big stack and left the toughest opponent at the table with a bowl. But I don't let things in the past bother me now, and as I said to you at the time, it was a great learning experience and I'll certainly never make that mistake ever again.

He certainly does have quite a game,  he joined the table and I can't recall a hand that went to a flop where he wasn't the preflop aggressor... every unopened pot, he'd open, and every opened pot, he'd 3bet... relentless but good fun.
  • edited April 2014
    You have done really well Paul.

It's been a great start to the year and brilliant result at the UKPC side event.

It has been a great journey from 4nl a couple of years ago to the games you are playing now. 

All the best with the future and your further progression in the poker world.

--------------------------------------------------

Edit, i agree 100% with you about Sky poker and the sky community.

Was on another site a few weeks back, Sky poker was being discussed and slated.

To be honest, i don't think some people have a clue.

For me Sky is the best site i have played on, and the community is really good.

Especially for someone that wants to improve, develop and get better at the game. 

Which has defo been the case with you Paul, so nice post well done and good luck with the future.

• edited April 2014
    Great read Paul and although I have never played at your table I know your a very popular and well liked guy on sky poker.

Im interested to hear how your personal life has coped with the change in your poker career? Obviously you dont need to share this but my fear is always the impact poker would have on my personal and family life which I cherish. Are you working also or have you gone poker full time as going poker full time must put alot of pressure of family income I imagine.

Ger
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Thank You to Tikay & Sky Community:
    Great read Paul and although I have never played at your table I know your a very popular and well liked guy on sky poker. Posted by gerardirl
    Serious bluff there ;)

Great post, Paul. Thinly-veiled brag, notwithstanding... :)
  • edited April 2014
    Thanks all.

It did definitely have a big effect on my poker/life balance at first gerardirl, and still does to an extent but think I've got a better handle on it now. I was looking for suggestions about what to include in my next blog and AJMilton suggested similar to you, to talk about how it's affected my life outside of poker so I'll be doing a blog about that soon.

Here's the blog so far if you haven't seen it: http://paullambert180.blogspot.co.uk/

Fwiw, yes I just play full time now... I started the blog when I started full time to kinda show my journey into playing full time. It can be stressful at times especially when things aren't going great, but then most of my previous jobs have been stressful, and other times it can be great and I can make what used to be my monthly wage in a week.
  • edited April 2014
    Good morning Lambert
    Excellent results and always very helpful on the forum, it is always good to see the nice guys doing well.
    Hope you go on to be as big as Julian Thew, i would consider it an honour if you could spare the time to participate in the £2.20 @2.20 DEEPSTACK.
    All the best
    Rainman397
  • edited April 2014

I'm a little embarrassed as to the "thank you tikay" thread title, which refers to Paul's selection for TSP.

It was The Business, not me, that made the final choice.

What happened was.....

The Business gave me their selection criteria (but no names) for their preferred TSP constituents. "Find us players that fit that criteria" sorta thing.  

Using that criteria, I then sent them a list of names to choose from. 

From that, they then selected their preferred Team. 

• edited April 2014
    Ah ok, well then I guess it's thank you for choosing me for the short list then :)

2pm is usually a tricky time for me to start playing an MTT because my kids get out of school at 3pm and it's usually me that picks them up, but I'm sure I can find a day to play it in the near future.
  • edited April 2014
    Ah ok, well then I guess it's thank you for choosing me for the short list then :) 2pm is usually a tricky time for me to start playing an MTT because my kids get out of school at 3pm and it's usually me that picks them up, but I'm sure I can find a day to play it in the near future.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Thank you for quick reply, look forward to playing you soon.
    You are in the top 10 off my list of players i would love to play against.
    All the best
    Rainman397
  • edited April 2014

Great post - Think a lot of the hates should read and take note

Nothing short of hard work and determination gets you to your level!

Gives all us wee fish hope that one day we could become a shark!!

I think what I am starting to realise is there is no shame in playing the micro limits - I used to always buy direct into mains and play 10/20p cash tables, looking at the micro as insignificant and full of bad players who shove with any two!  How wrong could a guy be!

Not sure I will ever look to go pro - the Mrs would murder me I am sure so fair to you for getting the life / work balance right!

Hope to see you on the tables in the near future when I build up my bank roll and confidence to move up a level or too!

• edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Thank You to Tikay & Sky Community : Thank you for quick reply, look forward to playing you soon. You are in the top 10 off my list of players i would love to play against. All the best Rainman397
    Posted by rainman397
    I heard lots of people say this about Lambo!
  • edited April 2014
    nice post paul and well done on what you have accomplished so far playing poker. I have played with you a lot over the years moving through levels on cash and playing some mtts etc but you have came a long way from the 1st time a played you and gl in the future unless your at my tables of course :)

I also agree sky is the best site I play on it`s the community aspect is a biggie for me talk to so many people on the tables and have great fun when meet up with them off the tables.
  • edited April 2014
    Nice post from a decent chap who is willing to give something back to the game,well done Mr Lambert and very best wishes for your future on the tables,one day I hope to get an invite/be in the top 10000 of folk mr rain man would hope to play against;)mind you I could only play on days when I am on holiday from work and completed the list which the good lady wife has left for me,sorry to hi jack thread but I wanted to wish you well in your onward journey as I have read some of your previous posts.
  • edited April 2014
    Fantastic post from a very likeable guy in the community. :-)
  • edited April 2014
    What a lovely post this is! It is posts of this nature that make the forum an enjoyable place, and a community that I am delighted to be a part of :-)
  • edited April 2014
    You have done really well Paul. It's been a great start to the year and brilliant result at the UKPC side event. It has been a great journey from 4nl a couple of years ago to the games you are playing now.  All the best with the future and your further progression in the poker world. -------------------------------------------------- Edit, i agree 100% with you about Sky poker and the sky community. Was on another site a few weeks back, Sky poker was being discussed and slated. To be honest, i don't think some people have a clue. For me Sky is the best site i have played on, and the community is really good. Especially for someone that wants to improve, develop and get better at the game.  Which has defo been the case with you Paul, so nice post well done and good luck with the future.  
    Posted by LARSON7
    Think I know the thread (or threads...) you refer to.

In most cases, those who make all the anti-noise have an agenda. I never reply on those threads, there is no point. Everyone who plays on an Online poker site is an adult, & I like to think they are bright enough to make their own minds up. The remarkable thing is that many of those who complain loudest often still play on the sites thery moan & groan about. Go figure. None of them have any experience of running a poker site, either, so it's all a bit peculiar, really.

I played a big PLO8 Tourney on another site recently, as I'm trying to get my PLO8 game in good order before, fingers crossed, a trip to Vegas. The chatbox was just vile. One guy abused his opponents after EVERY hand he lost. Then he won a hand, & started with the rub-downs. We are all different, but we should not take for granted what a friendly site Sky Poker is, in relative terms. 90% of us (approx) play poker for fun, & we should not underestimate how important "fun" is. We go to work, some of us have jobs with a lot of stress or responsibility, then when we go home, we want to have some R & R, & just enjoy an hour or two of poker.    

Everyone has a choice, but the relentless dissing of others is extraordinary to behold.

• edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Thank You to Tikay & Sky Community : I heard lots of people say this about Lambo!
    Posted by MattBates
    Good afternoon Matt Bates.
    You are also on the shortlist.
    All the best
    Rainman397
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Thank You to Tikay & Sky Community : Good afternoon Matt Bates. You are also on the shortlist. All the best Rainman397
    Posted by rainman397
    #lol
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Thank You to Tikay & Sky Community : Good afternoon Matt Bates. You are also on the shortlist. All the best Rainman397
    Posted by rainman397
    Haaa quality wp, 2 rubdowns in 1 post.

Love your work rainman