You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Matt Bates In The Well

13»

Comments

• edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Matt Bates In The Well:
    Question no. 2 You can see on WWSA or my diary the blow up I had in the main. Luckily all my other tables were cash so I was able to just stand and close down the session... When you've got a full grind going on, 12-20 MTTs (or whatever u do), and you get a couple of proper horror hands whether it be nasty coolers very deep, blows ups from yourself, bad beats etc, how do you cope with trying to carry on with the rest of your tables and still play well?
    Posted by Lambert180
    Its an experience thing, its never nice when you get a bad beat when deep say in a 10k runner field but all you can do is suck it up and look at what is up top in the remaining tournaments and do your best to win that. I wont suggest that I dont ever blow up after a bust. Most MTT players can go into tilt shove mode (I know Moorman has talked about it before). Sometimes its hard to stay focused, particularly when someone makes a horrendous play against you and gets there in an MTT you really wanted to win. Sometimes you just pour a bigger whisky when the glass gets empty!
  • edited April 2014
    No questions...just to say it's been a great read Matt.  Thanx for sharing.
  • edited April 2014
    Two questions Matt.

Let's say you have 40bbs in a Sky main and the rest of the table are between 15-25bbs. Just how wide are you opening from each position? Can you give some examples? 

AND

Do you know a guy called Marc Wright?

• edited April 2014
    How many tables do you play on average and how do you manage your session? ie. With tournaments there comes a point you don't want to reg another, so do you just then play through each tournament till you're only on 1 table left? Do you think it's a bad idea to tangle with other good players at the tables, even if you have a big stack? I used to have too big of an ego and would often try and out-play those at the table I thought were good players. But I've since changed that because I don't think it makes sense to try and take marginal edges against good players when you can take bigger edges against the less good players at the table. But yet when I've watched some live tourneys you do see some good players getting into pre-flop raising wars with each other - some of these players get very good results so they must do something right. 
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    I tend to have a core set of always play MTTs and a number I add in when I want more tables. I play over 3 sites and play up to 15 tables at a time. I tend to start around 7 and the last one I reg is 10.30 £55bh speed.

If I have a stack I don't want a good player to have an easy time to build up a stack so I will put pressure on them as if you don't then they can be putting pressure on you when they get a stack. The key is stack sizes and position as to who you can battle with, if you turn what you said around if we have a decent stack then the good player with the smaller stack wont want to tangle with us because we can knock them out and they can pick easier spots to accumulate chips.   
  • edited April 2014
    Two questions Matt. Let's say you have 40bbs in a Sky main and the rest of the table are between 15-25bbs. Just how wide are you opening from each position? Can you give some examples?  AND Do you know a guy called Marc Wright?
    Posted by pryce6
    This will partly depend how much the table will let me get away with. Lets assume its a standard table.

On the button I might open even if I have only been dealt one card. UTG I will probably fold suited one gappers (eg 68 suited) but if the pot is unopened I don't think I would fold that from the cut off. UTG I would open any suited ace but maybe fold A8off and below. From the bb I would probably 3bet a fair bit as I can put opponents in a tough spot stack wise. I would open pairs from all positions, even 22 utg. In early position I wont want to open too much stuff that's dominated thus folding A8o and below. SB I would probably tend to 3bet or fold as position is key but at times I will call.

It does matter quite a bit what the table is like, some tables you will get people playing TAG and 3betting when they have it. On other tables they want to play down the streets and you will get to showdown more.

I may have mentioned Marc in one or two posts! The reality is he has helped my game so much, I have been profitable for years but I feel as confident now in my game (particularly my end game) as I have ever felt. Speaking to someone with a level of thinking above mine in MTTs means I have and do learn loads.
  • edited April 2014
    Great read Matt, please be gentle on me out there :)
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Matt Bates In The Well : I get why you thought it would be but alas no, Ryan wasn't good enough to make Total Player ;-) 
    Posted by dylan12
    Sorry, I thought you said the guy was a total playa so assumed it was Ryan!
  • edited April 2014
    I think I have answered everything to date but if I haven't or if you want me to elaborate on anything then do say
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Matt Bates In The Well : I back a handful of MTT players with Marc Wright. The guys are well known by us so no trust issues (which is key in a backing relationship). The key with backing is understanding the variance and providing good coaching to your guys. Both Marc and I are very well experienced at MTTs so we understand the variance side of things and Marc deals with the coaching for the guys so they are lucky enough to have one of the best MTT players/coaches in the country helping them. I like to stay grounded so always use a childs table!
    Posted by MattBates
    cheers matt. what about live events?? I'm picturing a booster seat and a stick for pushing your chips all the way over the betting line?? maybe you just stand on your seat?!

if you dont mind saying, what has been your best Month/Worst Month? biggest score?

great read so far :)
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Matt Bates In The Well : cheers matt. what about live events?? I'm picturing a booster seat and a stick for pushing your chips all the way over the betting line?? maybe you just stand on your seat?! if you dont mind saying, what has been your best Month/Worst Month? biggest score? great read so far :)
    Posted by chicknMelt
    Did you not see my seat for an SPT?

A certain female Burnley fan got a high chair to await me when I went to sit down!

Biggest individual score is $11.4k in a $33 turbo on stars. Biggest sky win would be the Vegas package and apart from that would be 2nd in a monthly roller but not sure how much that was for. I don't track results on a monthly basis over all sites but there are sites that track on a site basis and my best month on stars was $11k profit which was the same month as the $11.4k so apart from that one MTT I lost money that month on stars! I haven't had any awful months and the most I am down in a month is probably $1k. I tend to adjust what I play so will play some lower variance MTTs if I go through a bad spell. I could play a lot higher than I do but I have seen some of the swings guys get into at the higher stakes and it doesn't appeal to me! 

I had some very good months on sky last year but I don't know what my best month was and don't have totals over all sites on a monthly basis. (I probably should keep better records!)
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Matt Bates In The Well : This will partly depend how much the table will let me get away with. Lets assume its a standard table. On the button I might open even if I have only been dealt one card. UTG I will probably fold suited one gappers (eg 68 suited) but if the pot is unopened I don't think I would fold that from the cut off. UTG I would open any suited ace but maybe fold A8off and below. From the bb I would probably 3bet a fair bit as I can put opponents in a tough spot stack wise. I would open pairs from all positions, even 22 utg. In early position I wont want to open too much stuff that's dominated thus folding A8o and below. SB I would probably tend to 3bet or fold as position is key but at times I will call. It does matter quite a bit what the table is like, some tables you will get people playing TAG and 3betting when they have it. On other tables they want to play down the streets and you will get to showdown more. I may have mentioned Marc in one or two posts! The reality is he has helped my game so much, I have been profitable for years but I feel as confident now in my game (particularly my end game) as I have ever felt. Speaking to someone with a level of thinking above mine in MTTs means I have and do learn loads.
    Posted by MattBates

Cheers, I don't play many tournaments tbh and probably struggle to adjust my ranges accordingly from cash.

Couldn't help myself with the other one :)

• edited April 2014
    You have done an excellent job of answering all the questions, very interesting read.

Based on the amount of time you put into Poker I am assuming you are single and don't have any kids? As you seem to have a pretty decent job (Finance Manager) I am assuming (again) you are quite financially secure, so do you spend any of your poker winnings or just keep it accumulating as bankroll? If you do spend some of it what has been your biggest purchase so far?

Greg.
  • edited April 2014
    I had some very good months on sky last year but I don't know what my best month was and don't have totals over all sites on a monthly basis. (I probably should keep better records!)
    Posted by MattBates
    You're a finance manager, mate. My wife's a management accountant and she would be ashamed of you! ;)
  • edited April 2014

Big thanks to Matt, he's done a great job, & answered every question.

Keep the questions coming, & I'll find another "Weller" for next week. Any (sensible....) suggestions welcome.

• edited April 2014
    Big thanks to Matt, he's done a great job, & answered every question. Keep the questions coming, & I'll find another "Weller" for next week. Any (sensible....) suggestions welcome.  
    Posted by Tikay10

Hi Tikay, Great thread have enjoyed reading it may i suggest DIVSDREAMS (MTT) OR LOLUFOLD (CASH) for next weeks one.
  • edited April 2014
    Big thanks to Matt, he's done a great job, & answered every question. Keep the questions coming, & I'll find another "Weller" for next week. Any (sensible....) suggestions welcome.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Paul Weller?
  • edited April 2014
    sam1986 or jakally get my vote for next week
  • edited April 2014
    I'll go for Nutter5932 for a SnG player to give it some balance.

• edited April 2014
    ORFORD!!

Please let me at im !---- I'll be good, I promise
  • edited April 2014
    Jen Mason would have some interesting stories i'm sure!