You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Good Poker Sites & Books

edited January 2010 in Poker Chat
Maybe we could all add a bit of info on here to help other players in some way shape or form, afterall it takes 5 mins to learn the game and a lifetime to master:

Ill go with the first offering

BOOK: Harrington on Hold Em - probably one of the best books out their on the market whether you play live or online, it has helped my game.

SITE: www.pokerstrategy.com - I found this site by accident and its brilliant you can also earn a free bankroll, it helped me learn more about bankroll management for which I am grateful.

Comments

• edited January 2010
    OK here's my tuppence worth...

BOOK: Life's a Gamble by Roy Brindley - Not really a poker book but a cracking read.

SITE: www.skypoker.com - I hear they're quite good, but Customer Service is a bit ropey at times.
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Good Poker Sites & Books:
    OK here's my tuppence worth... BOOK: Life's a Gamble by Roy Brindley - Not really a poker book but a cracking read. SITE: www.skypoker.com - I hear they're quite good, but Customer Service is a bit ropey at times.
    Posted by KnackersYa
    Nice...lol

Ok I thought of a film I like too - Rounders
  • edited January 2010
    Ok let's throw these in:

Book:  Mike Caro's Book of Poker Tells:  Two reasons for this choce.  Firstly while the pictures look like they are from a poor 1970's B movie, people still do all of these tells and they are explained thoroughly (much deeper than A is strong and B is weak)  Secondly (and less about live poker) is the opening chapter on his rule of loose wiring.  It's a simple rule that you must read again and again until you understand.  As soon as it clicks it really does widen your total outlook on a poker game.

Website:  www.pokertube.com - So much live footage from all levels and formats.  You can really look into the thought process of actual play and relate it too your game (don't just watch the stars pull off one move from one hand in a two hundred hand game, study the boring stuff as well).
  • edited January 2010
    Are you Scotty77's younger brother?
  • edited January 2010
      For me the best book to read is one that you right yourself. All the poker books tell you to play in a particular style. You need to find your own style and not copy any others. Better to study the game it self and watch other players of all different styles so you can take bits from all fields to perfect your own style of play.
  • edited January 2010
    Posted by MereNovice
    Older surely? he's 83
  • edited January 2010
    Posted by MereNovice
    lol no
  • edited January 2010
      For me the best book to read is one that you right yourself. All the poker books tell you to play in a particular style. You need to find your own style and not copy any others. Better to study the game it self and watch other players of all different styles so you can take bits from all fields to perfect your own style of play.
    Posted by Talon
    puurrrlease!!!
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Good Poker Sites & Books : lol no
    Posted by Scotty83
    Phew. Great to have you on board then. :-)
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Good Poker Sites & Books : Phew. Great to have you on board then. :-)
    Posted by MereNovice
    Hi Vince.....can you help me out in the strategy section if you have got a spare 2 mins?. Cheers, Alan
  • edited January 2010
    Posted by Talon
    Not true. Harrington on Hold'em discusses conservative, aggressive and supper-aggressive styes, how to play each style, varying your style and how to pursue a balanced strategy.
  • EENEEN
    edited January 2010
    What about a forgotten classic? Doyle Brunson's " Super System " and "Super System 2"

Although super system was written in the 1970's it's still a great book for beginners and exprienced players.
    It's worth a read at any point.

I have personally read the second one, but friends have and told me its great.

If you can pick up a cheap copy, id recommend :)
  • edited January 2010
    Cracking Book: How to Play Aces by J.R.Hartley
    Cracking Site: www.CloseEyesClickMouseTah-Dah.com
  • edited January 2010
    book- doyles god father of poker his autobiography
    website............soccer manager.. if u like champ manager this is great......
    neither will help ur game but both r good
  • edited January 2010
    Only read a couple of poker books and both i found very helpful

Phil Gordon - Little green book

John Vorhaus - Killer poker online
  • edited January 2010
    harrington on holdem for mtt players

harrington on cash games for novice cash players

LET THERE BE RANGE  by cole cts south for experienced cash gamers $1850 like but money well spent.

deucescracked . com for poker training, defo the best outhere.
  • edited January 2010

One of the best poker books Ive read and reread is

GUS HANSEN: EVERY HAND REVEALED

He talks the reader through almost every hand he played on his way to win the 2007 Aussie Millions. A very insightful strategy book, that isnt preachy and has almost every situation there somewhere. I found it useful in several ways, obviously by thinking about how he plays certain hands and why, especially realising he was usually thinking at least one street ahead. Also by trying to copy and adapting his note system and analysing my play after a tournament - a great way of finding out where you could play differently/better...

well worth the read IMHO

• edited January 2010
    Only read a couple of poker books and both i found very helpful Phil Gordon - Little green book John Vorhaus - Killer poker online
    Posted by HuFlungPu
    I read that killer poker online, I found it just consisted of him constently repeating 'keep book'