You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bank roll survives

edited April 2014 in Poker Chat
I'm a very happy man today and have just dodged a major bullet so thought I'd share and on the off chance it might help anyone else in similar circumstances.

So I was driving the family to mcdonalds on Saturday and my Passat suddenly conks out without warning, just what I need!! Anyway as everyone I knew was getting drunk watching the Chelsea liverpool game I had to fork out £60 to get it towed to guy who looks at my car.

Took it to the garage who told me it was a fault with the injectors and could cost me over £2k to get it sorted, ouch!! Something I definitely couldnt afford or at the very least would have had to withdraw my entire poker roll (around £1k) to get something sorted! DISASTER!!

Started to google the whole thing and discovered a thread on a VW forum and discovered there had been a recall (VW calling it a "customer satisfaction campiagn" lol) on this fault for a lot of VW's around the same age as mine. Long story short VW are going to replace all the injectors FOC and also reimburse me for my towing fees and garage fees etc so a complete get out of jail free card.

So if you own a VW from 06 -08 and havent had a recall for your injectors I'd recommend giving your local VW dealership a ring because it's a pretty dangerous when they fail. I was lucky but other people reported there engine just cutting out whilst on the motorway with no warning and the power steering going along with it.

Not really that poker related but hey ho I had to share. Big weight off my shoulders!!

Comments

• edited April 2014
    Wow...cars are so scary sometimes!!
    Glad you have a happy ending for your bankroll :)
  • edited April 2014
     Change mechanic too mate!--- 2k for an injector issue is completely mental----crazy!---  He's a con artist-- and no mistake!-- I could buy and fit a new engine (from a crashed car) for less----450 max for any injector issue--- sounds like it could be an ecu or pump fault-- millions to one that two or more injectors would fail at the same time---def electronic fault imo---good luck
  • edited April 2014
    The VW injectors do seem pretty pricey when i looked into it last night. On ebay you can get reconditioned ones for about £200 each.

From reading all the stuff online it was very common for all four to go (maybe not all at once) but fairly close together. So even with a bit of wheeling and dealing i'm sure the bill still would have been over £1k. The guy I go to was going to try replacing the wiring loom first of all to see if it was it creating the fault when he plugged it in.

Thankfully I don't have to worry about it anyway with VW replacing them all and the wiring loom for nothing! Major sigh of relief!!