You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

GaryLaud's damaged confidence thread (Let's rebuild him!)

edited May 2014 in Poker Chat
If you cant take the losses then i would just withdraw your bankroll and play a game which gives you more happiness. Poker should be enjoyed even when losing otherwise you will just become results orientated and that wont help your game at all. all the best

Comments

• edited April 2014
    ORIGINAL POST 12:30pm WED APR 30TH 2014
    ORIG TITLE: "Thinking of quitting playing poker"
    Hi Guys
    I know I've posted up a few hands lately in an attempt to try and figure out what is going wrong. I am trying to play a tight game and play a few premium hands and I was starting to run really well as of 23rd-26th april, was making small gains in Cash Tables 2/4p.

However, in the last four days, every session I am playing in is resulting in losses where I am not playing enough to cover the blinds going through having seen rubbish cards all the time and even cards like A-J I am not seeing enough evidence to play them having been raised out of position and then justifying my fold in my mind when the flop, turn and river reaveals cards totally dead to me.

Then we have hands where I do want to play, I am playing them and it seems I am ALWAYS being outdrawn, it's as though something's been set into place to make the software think that "GaryLaud" has to lose the hand. 

I've ran KK's and QQ's into flushes on both occasions and even when I had a full-house this was also outdrawn by a greater full house.

I thought I was quite good at poker and have seen one or two good results (Including a cash in the turbo open). However with constant run of bad results like these I am/was starting to think that now would be a good idea to just lump all my money on one game, and run away and frequent the play-money tables only.

EDIT: 5:30pm 30th April 2014
    Thanks to the positivity shown and the encouragement of my fellow member's I've changed the thread name to reflect where things are currently.

• edited April 2014
     Hi Gary, have you tried the 2 quid deep stack tournies?--- best way to learn imo----------floppa whoppa!
    Don't let a few bad beats in a row put you off, if you play well, you will win long term-- bad beats are part of the game, everyone gets them all the time--- you are never far enough ahead preflop to avoid bad beats, have you messed around with a poker odds calculator?
  • edited April 2014
    It might be a good idea to watch someone playing via a programme called JoinMe (or something similar)... it basically lets you see the other person's screen. So you'll be able to see how a winning player beats 4NL and pick up the differences between what you do and what they do. From what I've seen you need to be a lot more aggressive. The way you win at 4NL is by betting and getting people to call with worse hands (cos they do... ALOT), you won't win by being really passive.

I don't mind doing it sometime at 4NL if no1 else offers. 
  • edited April 2014
    Your problem is not your game, it's your BR. You are not rolled for cash and playing a tight solid game isn't easy on six max tables as by there nature they are more aggressive as you have to play more hands. Why? You already know why and have stated it. The blinds run through you quicker! 

You need to have more buyins so you can play a more expansive game and not worry that sometimes you will lose your stack. It happens to everyone. 

Poker is supposed to be for fun for us novice amateurs. So play your SNG's and set yourself challenges To motivate you in those and hopefully build your BR up and then move on to cash. 

Good luck. 
  • edited April 2014
    There is certain things that are naturally going to result in losses;

Playing with scared money, when all players start playing poker it is natural/ inevitable they will lose money.

Not sure what the exact stats are but by it's very nature, there will be more losing players at poker versus winning players. Approx 70% of players will be losing players, it might be a bit more or less than that, but that would be a reasonable guess.

Why do you want to play poker?

If it is just for fun, then definatly play the free tables. Or set yourself a budget every month, whether its £10 /£20 whatever that you are happy if you lose you lose.

When most players start playing i would imagine they are "losing" players, which is only natural.

If you did want to improve they are a lot of resources out there to help players just starting out.

One of the big poker sites has a "poker school", check that out.

There is also websites ideal for beginner players. I can't post them on here, but just google poker strategy.

Lastly, bankroll. If you are going to play it's ideal to have a decent bankroll for the games you are playing to absorb the ups and downs that come with poker (variance)

If you are playing 4nl with 1 table, i would say have atleast £50-60 pound to play with. If you constantly sit at a table with the minimum buy in, £1.20, most times you will end up losinng this, it is always far better to have atleast £3.20 on the table if not the full £4,

Just seen Paul's post take him up on this offer!
  • edited April 2014
    I'd echo Lamberts thoughts - sounds like you are being waaay too nitty.

you probably arent the best person to spot where things are going wrong - after all, you made the plays, so you will think they are correct alot of the time.

I'd snap off Lamberts hand if he is offering to screen share during one of his sessions for you.

there are plenty of tutorial videos out there too, sky have some, plenty of youtube, and other sites have them too. pokersnowie is a poker training tool that tells you every single tiny thing you do wrong (according to it, and its pretty good!) but doesnt explain why one move is more profitable than another. it has a free trial.

• edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Thinking of Quitting playing Poker.:
    It might be a good idea to watch someone playing via a programme called JoinMe (or something similar)... it basically lets you see the other person's screen. So you'll be able to see how a winning player beats 4NL and pick up the differences between what you do and what they do. From what I've seen you need to be a lot more aggressive. The way you win at 4NL is by betting and getting people to call with worse hands (cos they do... ALOT), you won't win by being really passive. I don't mind doing it sometime at 4NL if no1 else offers. 
    Posted by Lambert180

Hi Lambert
    Really thanks for your kind offer. I would like that if we could enjoy a session togther. I would have posted on your hand review but I wasn't online at the time and by the time I next read it, the chance had gone. I'll add you as a friend on the site, so we can PM each other. 
    Regards
    Gary

• edited April 2014
    Ok no prob Gary. You can always add me on Facebook if that's easier. My name is (obviously) Paul Lambert and it'll be the profile pic of a guy in a Sky Poker t-shirt.
  • edited April 2014
    Why do you want to play poker? If it is just for fun, then definatly play the free tables. Or set yourself a budget every month, whether its £10 /£20 whatever that you are happy if you lose you lose. When most players start playing i would imagine they are "losing" players, which is only natural. Lastly, bankroll. If you are going to play it's ideal to have a decent bankroll for the games you are playing to absorb the ups and downs that come with poker (variance) If you are playing 4nl with 1 table, i would say have atleast £50-60 pound to play with. If you constantly sit at a table with the minimum buy in, £1.20, most times you will end up losinng this, it is always far better to have atleast £3.20 on the table if not the full £4, Just seen Paul's post take him up on this offer!
    Posted by LARSON7

Hi Larson
    In response to your comments, I used to quite often sit down with £1.20 in my early days of Sky poker back in March when my B/R was around £5.00 Since then it has taken quite a boost having been granted a free seat in the Turbo Tuesday and ending up Cashing for £21.17.

I have been thinking of your comments about budget and yes Poker is a hobby I have come to enjoy and it's given me something to do to pass the time during the evenings when I'm not out doing my other hobbies (Having watched Sky Poker TV You will probably know what I am on about)

So yes I think that perhaps I will just think on it and stop worrying about the inevitable losses. One of the lads has suggested I try practicing my skills on the deepstack competitions - I've yet to try these.. There's a £1.10 Buy-In due to start later tonight which has been previously suggested. I can enjoy a long session of poker on this, and I think I am going to play that later as well as the many freerolls on offer today.

Regards
    Gary

• edited April 2014
    Garry play poker like a God for free http://texasholdemsliderule.com
  • edited April 2014
    Ok no prob Gary. You can always add me on Facebook if that's easier. My name is (obviously) Paul Lambert and it'll be the profile pic of a guy in a Sky Poker t-shirt.
    Posted by Lambert180

Ive been onto F/Book and added you.

• edited April 2014
    45 1 quid game would be ideal deep stack and loads of play 
  • edited April 2014
     If your BR is just £25 you really aren't rolled to play cash. Your playing with scared money and sitting with the minimum is not good.

The good thing about tourney play is that you KNOW how much you stand to lose. Try the 7-45 deepstacks by all means. I'm not sure how much experience you have but I  would say stick to ABC poker and be patient. If you find it too slow (and some do) I'd suggest trying a few cheap DYMs and see how that goes. Best of luck.
  • edited April 2014
     Good luck in the deepy Gary, considering what others have said about your style, these will suit you----you can sit for a long time without playing a hand in these, but remember, others will notice if you look too tight, and you will find it hard to get paid when you have a whoppa,--- so call with a few marginal hands early on--- it's even good to get caught playing with rubbish in the early stages, just don't get too attached to a hand, and be aware of people slow playing a set--- when bb gets to 300, count how many you have, and figure out how long you can last before you get too low--- this is the time to be agro on the button, so stay tight through 75/150  and 100/200 blinds, so that you are more likely to get respect when you raise the blinds at 150/300------floppa whoppa!
  • edited April 2014
    Playing NL4 cash games are a waste of time as is all of the cash games, they are full of bumhunters if you have a small broll ull go broke on ring games 100% playing deep stack tournaments if your a new player is a good way to learn as well as gettig your money worth. From what i have read on your posts you play tight and good starting hands so I woudnt recomend deep stack tournaments for your kind of play. Im a regular Bounty hunter player I play in most £5.50 £11 and sometimes the big mains. I feel these are the best games for my play as I play solid and aggressive and find most players in these really try to rush the game and go broke leaving me to pick up there bounties and remaining chips to further myself in the late stages of the tournament.
    Poker realy is a game of fun and if your worried about losing a few pots this game is not for you. I hope you run better if you decide to continue playing as I believe its a great skilled game on the tables and life itself. GL in future m8 maybe see you in a BH sometym :) 
  • edited April 2014
    As others have said your bankroll is no good for cash, id stay stick to DYM's to begin with, 

With poker at the start i think you have to be willing to lose money in the short term to make money long term, you have to begin somewhere, some players can be unprofitable for months while they learn the game, if your just playing for fun maybe the freee play tables are best for that if you cant afford to lose money
  • edited April 2014
    i was a losing player for 3 year when i first started, dont know what clicked but im glad i never quit, off topic i lose about £100 a week on horses but i still enjoy it, its just paper as far as im concered!!!
  • edited April 2014
    Congrats on your selection for Top of the Posts Gary.

You've got £10 locked-up already, £50 is yours if you win it :)
  • edited April 2014
    Garylaud, wana use GaryQQQ as an example. If i remember correctly Gary spent many a month grinding up from freerolls only to £1k it can be done with patience. 

Your br is small still so the losses will hurt. Ultimately it takes time, and only you can make he decision. 

Pauls offer on the joinme is a really good one and i would fully recommend it. Ive done it with other players and it often helps both parties involved. Even when im in a joinme with a better player they normally dont mind me suggesting alternative lines/sizes and discussing them. 

Im 100% sure that will aid you on your way should you keep playing. 

In the meantime, ill see you in TOTP should be fun :) 
  • edited April 2014
    To: GaryQQQ & The_Don90,
    Thanks guys for formally making me aware of the fact I am involved with this competition. What time does it kick-off/"Cards in the air"? 

Also, I've had a little re-think and I'll be found playing some 30p DYM's. I've tried a few already today after getting my rant off my chest, and reading the feedback, I thought EFF IT, Im gonna stay involved. Thanks to everyone for helping me back to positivity.

I've set myself some targets which you will find in the bankroll challenge forum - I'll update these on my Diary Page too.  BANKROLL CHALLENGE THREAD LINK
  • edited April 2014
    2nd may --9pm---- No more advice from me ---- I'm in it too ------ummm------- - except,---- when I raise an amount with a 7 on the end it means I'm semi- bluffin, and will not call a shove
  • edited May 2014
    Playing way too tight in the DS last night, Sometimes it's best to choose a hand and go for it, rather than blinding out. 
    Read Kill Phil.

GL
  • edited May 2014
    hi 
    I'm new to poker and sky and think the best way to is thru freerolls and the £1 rebuy games, don't play scared or out of position and never ever call to see a flop, be the aggro party
    i'm doing ok just playing mtts and have even won some
    best of luck x
  • edited May 2014
    Hi Pickle,
    If you would be so kind as to let me know where you have spotted those £1 rebuy games, I'd be delighted to Join you in taking part in one or two!
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: GaryLaud's damaged confidence thread (Let's rebuild him!):
    Hi Pickle, If you would be so kind as to let me know where you have spotted those £1 rebuy games, I'd be delighted to Join you in taking part in one or two!
    Posted by GaryLaud
    Morning Gary

£25 Guaranteed Hold'em NL £1.10 0 02 May 09:00
    £20 Gtd Turbo FR Hold'em NL 10 Pts 17 02 May 10:00
    £25 Guaranteed Hold'em NL £1.10 0 02 May 11:15
    £20 Gtd Turbo FR Hold'em NL 10 Pts 6 02 May 12:00
    £20 Gtd Turbo FR Hold'em NL 10 Pts 5 02 May 14:00
    £25 Guaranteed Hold'em NL £1.10 0 02 May 14:35

here is this morning lobby, not sure if more appear later
    Hope this helps and I click on the micro stakes tab in the tournaments lobby, run good

xx