You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Megastack

edited May 2014 in Poker Chat
Hi all, hope you've had a good week and are looking forward to a relaxing bank holiday monday :-).

I thought it might be worth discussing the Megastack which runs @ 20:30 on a Monday/Wednesday/Friday. I always try to play this tournament as i think its a great structure for those at lower stakes. It is almost like a super roller (10k starting 12 min blinds), but only £5.50 buy in.

Is there any particular reason why it is only held on 3 days a week? 

> Its popular and always smashes the guarentee
> There are deep stacks available but nothing as deep as this
> Good practise at the structure of skys biggest tournament of the week

I believe it was only on once a week but a fellow teammate apparently posted a while back and it was added to 2 extra nights. Have i missed something as to why it's not held daily? As much as i like bounty hunters i believe there are too many of these tournaments on the site. 

I think megastacks should be held on a daily basis, but what if there were a variance in buy in possibly? No reason why something could not appeal at an £11 buy in aswell as £5.50, or even £22, similar to the deepstack that is held at 19:30. 

Wasn't sure where to post this but thought it would be a good discussion.

Comments

• edited May 2014
    Needs a structure overhaul IMO. Starts way too deep, and ends way too shallow. Desperately needs a couple of levels adding.

Probably beats its GTD because it's only 3 nights a week. If it went daily, it might lose it's appeal. Increasing the BI would spell the start of a long and painful death for the tournament I feel. The £22 DS struggles (used to be £1k PP, now half that). Could maybe have one of the 3 a week at £11, not sure it could sustain £11 BI's across the board.

Look at the structure Sky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Megastack:
    Needs a structure overhaul IMO. Starts way too deep, and ends way too shallow. Desperately needs a couple of levels adding. Probably beats its GTD because it's only 3 nights a week. If it went daily, it might lose it's appeal. Increasing the BI would spell the start of a long and painful death for the tournament I feel. The £22 DS struggles (used to be £1k PP, now half that). Could maybe have one of the 3 a week at £11, not sure it could sustain £11 BI's across the board. Look at the structure Sky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    I don't think it would lose the appeal. The deep-stacks certainly haven't (19:15 / 19:45), and its a great opportunity for a lower stake player to win big money, i took it down last night for £175, its a great return off £5.50. Agree with maybe one of them at £11, but i believe it has potential to become a daily success
  • edited May 2014
    Horror tournament.

It's like folding for 4 hours to win a seat in a 30 minute shoveathon at the end.

Surprised it gets more than 5 runenrs!
  • edited May 2014
    Needs a structure overhaul IMO. Starts way too deep, and ends way too shallow. Desperately needs a couple of levels adding. Probably beats its GTD because it's only 3 nights a week. If it went daily, it might lose it's appeal. Increasing the BI would spell the start of a long and painful death for the tournament I feel. The £22 DS struggles (used to be £1k PP, now half that). Could maybe have one of the 3 a week at £11, not sure it could sustain £11 BI's across the board. Look at the structure Sky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

ANTES!!!!!
  • edited May 2014
    Horror tournament. It's like folding for 4 hours to win a seat in a 30 minute shoveathon at the end. Surprised it gets more than 5 runners!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Would disagree with this, only shoveathon i experienced was heads up when the guy knew i was outplaying him every hand :-). 
  • edited May 2014
    I don't mind the structure actually - Lots of play in the early levels which is how it should be, build up a nice stack and have an advantage going into late stages. It is quite shallow at the end but i think it's ok
  • edited May 2014
    I don't mind the structure actually - Lots of play in the early levels which is how it should be, build up a nice stack and have an advantage going into late stages. It is quite shallow at the end but i think it's ok
    Posted by Matt237
    Totally agree with you Matt.
    Great tornament need more of them.
    All the best
    Rainman397
  • edited May 2014
    i dont play the 5 pound games much but i thought i give this a bash to get use to so many chips like the super roller and i must say its a very good tournament  cheap and not bad money up the top. 
    lets cut down the 5 pound bh they suck!
  • edited May 2014
    Horror tournament. It's like folding for 4 hours to win a seat in a 30 minute shoveathon at the end. Surprised it gets more than 5 runenrs!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Sorry Dohhhhhhh this time your talking through your **** lol. This tourney is NEVER a shoveathon on FT at least not when I've been there. There's more depth than in a regular Deepstack. OK it may be a bit slow for some personally I like it and so do a lot of others.
  • edited May 2014
    I agree with Rock we need antes in all MTTs. For me the structure of this tourney is very much like a live game freezeout, at least the ones I've played. Possibly it is a bit slow at the start and we could lose a couple of levels.

Matt the reason it's only 3 nights a week is there in the other thread. After the Friday game continuously smashed its guarantee Sky eventually agreed to try 2 more at a reduced guarantee. The Monday and Wednesday games have also continually broken their guarantees but to a lesser amount I believe. Numbers have been down ever so slightly in the Friday game lately but it's still breaking it's guarantee easily.

However personally I think 5 or 7 nights a week is too much and numbers would suffer. If you look at the names entering each tourney a lot of them are from the 7-15 and 7-45 deepstacks and even more £5-50 buy ins is asking a lot. Asking players to pay a higher buy in won't work in my opinion. Payouts are great in ratio to the buy ins so if it ain't broke don't fix it.
  • edited May 2014
    Hi I saw this game and wanted to play but didn't relise it wasn't every night, maybe sky could run the same game on the other 3/4 nights with a reduced buyin, maybe £2.20 or £3.30?  x

• edited May 2014
    Gotta agree with Dohhhhhh, just far too deep for far too long so no-one plays unless they have a set preflop ;) cos they don't need to with miniscule blinds going thru their 10k stack for hours then it quickly gets as shallow as most MTTs do on Sky (which is fine imo, but it certainly ain't a deepstack at that point)