You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Confused dot com..

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
PoshPants Small blind  500.00 500.00 22082.50
Ozzie08 Big blind  1000.00 1500.00 10317.50
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • A

Redge Fold     
sara36dd08 Raise  2000.00 3500.00 24912.50
MAXALLY Call  2000.00 5500.00 22145.00
borderfox Fold     
PoshPants Call  1500.00 7000.00 20582.50
Ozzie08 All-in  10317.50 17317.50 0.00
sara36dd08 Call  9317.50 26635.00 15595.00
MAXALLY Call  9317.50 35952.50 12827.50
PoshPants Fold     
Flop

sara36dd08 Check     
MAXALLY Check     
Turn

sara36dd08 Check     
MAXALLY Check     
River

sara36dd08 All-in  15595.00 51547.50 0.00
MAXALLY Fold     
sara36dd08 Unmatched bet  15595.00 35952.50 15595.00
Ozzie08 Show
  • A

sara36dd08Show
  • A

Ozzie08 Win Three 8s 35952.50  35952.50

Comments

• edited January 2010

Please can some one (vince?) explain the above? This was near the end of a MTT and I can not get my head around it. I am still learning the game granted but I can not see why a player would bet into a pot when another player is all in. As you can see, I would of won this hand if I called AND knocked out a player but the other player bet so I could not call.

a) was the bet by the other player incorrect?
    b) was I correct to fold?
    c) was this in fact a 'quality bet' as put in the chatbox by the eventual winner of the pot?

I have no problem with any of my opponents here as Ozzie went on to finish 3rd in this tourny and I know sara had a very good game but am I missing something here or what?

Rant over - please be gentle with me.....thanks
  • edited January 2010

Cannot understand there calls and all-ins with A 10 and A6 :S Also don't understand why she moved as it would of eventually eliminate a player...
    However I would be calling. Got so much invested already getting around 3.5/1 odds, can't put my opponent on a 4 8 or 5 with the pre-flop betting. Probably be scared of of the PP.
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Confused dot com..:
    Please can some one (vince?) explain the above? This was near the end of a MTT and I can not get my head around it. I am still learning the game granted but I can not see why a player would bet into a pot when another player is all in. As you can see, I would of won this hand if I called AND knocked out a player but the other player bet so I could not call. a) was the bet by the other player incorrect? b) was I correct to fold? c) was this in fact a 'quality bet' as put in the chatbox by the eventual winner of the pot? I have no problem with any of my opponents here as Ozzie went on to finish 3rd in this tourny and I know sara had a very good game but am I missing something here or what? Rant over - please be gentle with me.....thanks
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Hey Maxally.

I'll answer C first as it's the easiest.  The pot winner loves that bet as it kept him in the tourney, of course he's going to see it as 'quality' as he thanks his lucky stars.

a)  There is an increasing trend or fad to not check down in these spots.  It used to be the norm that any players in the pot with an all in would have an unspoken understanding to check it down unless someone hit big.  However now there is a thought process that says 'I'm more likely to win this pot against two players rather than three' and after you have shown no interest in the pot since the all in the villain has decided they can get you out of the pot.  I doubt they believe they are ahead in the hand.  Personally I'm more old school and would rather have someone out of the tourney.

b)  Your fold is correct if you have no prior knowledge of the villain.  As you build up an image you will have a decision to make.

It's not a wrong move by the villain but I personally hate it.  However the logic behind the move is about I, the villain, having a better chance to win the pot rather than we, the field, trying to get another player out to either ladder or get closer to the bubble.
  • edited January 2010
    i get confused every time play on here maxally with some of the calls there make
  • ybyb
    edited January 2010
    I'm not someone who says you should never bet out in a dry side pot (I'm more interested in increasing my chip stack than laddering up) but in this situation I don't see any point in the villains play. I can't see any hand that the shortstack could have that the villain is beating (surely Ozzie wouldn't 3 bet shove with a hand like K-Q) so she is basically putting her tourny life on the line for no possible reward.

Fwiw I hate your pre-flop play. I would definitely 3-bet here and, as played, probably 4-bet shove following Ozzie's all-in.
  • edited January 2010

Thank you for your replies hartshorn, tommy & vb.
    Firstly, I am not a great fan of AK and hence try to play it cautiously but I did have position on the villian. If I 4 - bet after the all in and flop I am only going to get called/re raised by a strong pp like JJ/QQ/KK or AA. That is why I took the decision just to check it down the river.
    Secondly, the river bet by the villian did indicate to me that she had strength. Like Hartshorn, I did not put her on a 8, 4 or 5 due to the pre flop betting but I was losing to ANY pp by the river and hence could not call her bet and put my tournament 'at risk'.
    Thirdly, yes there is an unspoken understanding to check these situations down by players but like Tommy, I am seeing this 'move' more and more on line. What would the reaction be if this was done in a LIVE game?

A foot note to this is that I did actually finish higher than the villian (14th/231) but know if that bet was not done on the river, I would of been one of the CL's and hopefully gone onto the FT or better.
  • edited January 2010
    Thank you for your replies hartshorn, tommy & vb. Firstly, I am not a great fan of AK and hence try to play it cautiously but I did have position on the villian. If I 4 - bet after the all in and flop I am only going to get called/re raised by a strong pp like JJ/QQ/KK or AA. That is why I took the decision just to check it down the river. Secondly, the river bet by the villian did indicate to me that she had strength. Like Hartshorn, I did not put her on a 8, 4 or 5 due to the pre flop betting but I was losing to ANY pp by the river and hence could not call her bet and put my tournament 'at risk'. Thirdly, yes there is an unspoken understanding to check these situations down by players but like Tommy, I am seeing this 'move' more and more on line. What would the reaction be if this was done in a LIVE game? A foot note to this is that I did actually finish higher than the villian (14th/231) but know if that bet was not done on the river, I would of been one of the CL's and hopefully gone onto the FT or better.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    It happened to me live about two months ago.  I open raised to 4xbb with AJ.  A short stack who had less than my raise called all in and the BB called.  Blank flop went check check.  A blank turn led to him betting half the pot and I mucked.  He flipped over an unpaired K3 off and the short stack won with an unpaired A8.

K3 was adamant he did the right play.  What made it worse for him was this was a team event so you got more points for every person you out lasted.  As it happened he went out before the short stack and therefore cost his team at least one point.  I didn't make too much fuss (I just said something like "what's that all about? after the pot finished).  There was no real reaction at hte table, just a lot of knowing smiles.  The K3 in this piece I have played with a few times before and let's just say, he likes a drink.
  • ybyb
    edited January 2010
    Thank you for your replies hartshorn, tommy & vb. Firstly, I am not a great fan of AK and hence try to play it cautiously but I did have position on the villian. If I 4 - bet after the all in and flop I am only going to get called/re raised by a strong pp like JJ/QQ/KK or AA.
    Posted by MAXALLY

The villain has already committed about 2/5 of her stack to this pot so there's a very good chance she'll call if you 4 bet shove. I think we can discount KK or AA from the villain's range, as I don't think she'd min-raise with this holding in such early position and would almost certainly 4-bet if she had this. So at worst if we get called we're about 50/50 in the larger side pot, but have a very good chance of dominating her. If you were playing to win the tourny and not to just cash this would be the correct play imo unless you have a seriously good read and putting one of your opponents on AA or KK, in which case fold.