You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Some help required, where am i going wrong in these hands.

edited May 2014 in The Poker Clinic
Bit of analysis/advice on these hands please.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
bullymydog Small blind  30.00 30.00 1785.00
ShaunyT Big blind  60.00 90.00 3875.00
  Your hole cards
  • K

FISHER13 Fold     
dustnbones Raise  120.00 210.00 3100.00
F1N63RS Fold     
tony011 Fold     
bullymydog Fold     
ShaunyT Call  60.00 270.00 3815.00
Flop

• J

ShaunyT Check     
dustnbones Bet  270.00 540.00 2830.00
ShaunyT Call  270.00 810.00 3545.00
Turn

ShaunyT Check     
dustnbones Bet  810.00 1620.00 2020.00
ShaunyT Call  810.00 2430.00 2735.00
River

• K

ShaunyT Bet  1215.00 3645.00 1520.00
dustnbones All-in  2020.00 5665.00 0.00
ShaunyT Call  805.00 6470.00 715.00
ShaunyT Show
  • K

dustnbones Show
  • K
  • K

dustnbones Win Full House, Kings and 9s 6470.00  6470.00
So here is my thought process.

Pre flop. Min raise isn't repping too strong, I call as I am in the bb. Whilst the flop is good for my hand the board is super wet and hits a lot of draws that could be in villains range. I check for pot control as betting out on this board pretty much says I HAVE A 9 imo.
 Turn card is a scare card and the big bet I think polarizes his range e.g he's hit the flush or he's scared of the flush or he's got AJ with the ace of spades. I call in the hope to get to a cheap show down.
 The river is the absolute gin card for me ( I thought ) Flushes got there and Q 10 got there too, I was slightly worried about JJ.

Is my thinking right or am I doing it wrong???

Comments

• edited May 2014
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    savemesoul Small blind  1000.00 1000.00 56600.00
    sillymid Big blind  2000.00 3000.00 39680.00
      Your hole cards
    • J

ShaunyT Raise  4000.00 7000.00 80720.00
    savemesoul Call  3000.00 10000.00 53600.00
    sillymid Call  2000.00 12000.00 37680.00
    Flop

• J

savemesoul Bet  8000.00 20000.00 45600.00
    sillymid Fold     
    ShaunyT All-in  80720.00 100720.00 0.00
    savemesoul All-in  45600.00 146320.00 0.00
    ShaunyT Unmatched bet  27120.00 119200.00 27120.00
    savemesoul Show
    • J

ShaunyT Show
    • J

Turn

River

savemesoul Win Two Pairs, Jacks and 10s 119200.00  119200.00
    This is the final table, down to the last 3.

Bit more simple. Standard button raise from me. My question is when hitting 2 pair on a fairly dry flop (fl draw aside) am I right to shove like this? The reason I shoved is the villain who called did so with exactly the type of hand I thought he would.
  • edited May 2014
    Just plays it self cant do much either hand really
  • edited May 2014
  • edited May 2014
    Second hand is unfortunate. As is the first one to a degree. Not sure I agree with some of your comments though. Calling the min raise because you're in the bb with a marginal hand isn't a great start. Guy has raised, we're gonna be oop all hand, we don't have the betting lead, and we have a hand that is often dominated. Then we smack a dream flop, essentially the nuts or close enough, and now we want to pot control? Also, betting out here makes it look much less likely that we hold the 9 IMO, and the drawing hands are more weighted towards our range than his. Turn isn't that much of a scare card really. Why are we looking to get to a cheap showdown? By calling that fpb we are not getting a cheap showdown, nor should we want a cheap showdown either, I'd still be pretty confident we have the best hand currently. I'd be more concerned of a poor river card that could kill our action and would probably play the turn accordingly. We obvs lose the lot on that river card, but I'm not a fan of that bet. Either stick the lot in or check to them again. 
  • edited May 2014
    You should be getting most of it in on that flop, charge that flush draw/any overpairs big price, definitely not pot controlling. 

Played themselves really though, unlucky
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Some help required, where am i going wrong in these hands.:
    Second hand is unfortunate. As is the first one to a degree. Not sure I agree with some of your comments though. Calling the min raise because you're in the bb with a marginal hand isn't a great start. Guy has raised, we're gonna be oop all hand, we don't have the betting lead, and we have a hand that is often dominated. Then we smack a dream flop, essentially the nuts or close enough, and now we want to pot control? Also, betting out here makes it look much less likely that we hold the 9 IMO, and the drawing hands are more weighted towards our range than his. Turn isn't that much of a scare card really. Why are we looking to get to a cheap showdown? By calling that fpb we are not getting a cheap showdown, nor should we want a cheap showdown either, I'd still be pretty confident we have the best hand currently. I'd be more concerned of a poor river card that could kill our action and would probably play the turn accordingly. We obvs lose the lot on that river card, but I'm not a fan of that bet. Either stick the lot in or check to them again. 
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

Cheers for the feedback. I agree with a lot of it. Good to get different takes on things.

• edited May 2014
     hi shaun
    couple of sic hands there..more than likely whatever way u play it the chips would go in.the only difference is the first hand u didnt reraise post flop or the turn to protect your made hand,with a possible flush out there.maybe if u raised  all in here,he might have folded...maybe.lol
  • edited May 2014
    First hand in that position im never flatting with k9 off as it is so hard to play out of position if you hit a piece of the board. either fold or 3 bet. i would always be putting in a raise on the flop or turn as the board is wet and he is repping strong and you must protect your hand. by the river there is nothing you can do but personally i would have just folded pre.

second hand you simply got unlucky
  • edited May 2014
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    +1!!!

Hate the call but after that everything is what it is. Poker! 
  • edited May 2014
    Hi S 

First hand
    Rer flop bet to make sure he has to stretch a bit for the odds for fl DRW. Say 3x-3.5x bet size.. Bet turn ...maybe he had AJ or hopefully overpair. Bingo on river ...just ull m8. Just don't give him the chance to catch for free. It's much harder to bet than call.

Second hand
    Too big a bet for ai considering the pot size IMO. What do you expect to call? Ives feeling you would just be happy to have won that pot as it stood. You should be making value bets as you must feel that you are ahead. Ai should only be called by fl DRW+pr! set! or two pair(maybe). You were very lucky to get called by toppr medium kicker and then very unlucky to get sucked out on. 
  • edited May 2014
    Disagree with that last bit Proffy, my man. The effective stack size means any raise is gonna be an all in essentially and playing for villains stack. Shoving here makes us look weaker or drawing, hence any number of hands might pay us off.

Think I'd play that hand in a very similar manner.
  • edited May 2014
    Disagree with that last bit Proffy, my man. The effective stack size means any raise is gonna be an all in essentially and playing for villains stack. Shoving here makes us look weaker or drawing, hence any number of hands might pay us off. Think I'd play that hand in a very similar manner.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

Hi H

Firstly congrats on your Dtd success sir. Superbement as we say in France!

Personally 3rd size of eff ss I look upon as all in situation next. I feel that this is a value bet that short stack could easily rer as opposed to having still 22.5 bb's and decide to fold after my all in thus costing you value.  I crept the idea of larger bet seems weaker but I'm surprised he got the the call with TPWK myself. 
    I accept that it's swings and roundabouts but I still would tend to value bet and try to keep my opponent in the pot with a lesser hand. Fair point though and at least we can see the merits in the plays. 

PS I tend to write my opinion THEN read others so at least I put my thoughts down and probably learn from others too. Cheers m8